The Mansfield, Notts County, Lincoln and East Midlands mega thread

PositiveOmen

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Can't wait for the actual football to start.

Until then we'll just point out 25 years of superiority and not playing non league, and they'll point out that we're owned by dee daahs that don't care and that Evans and Radford are the boys.

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I liked Yussuf, but he always seemed to have more of an impact coming from the bench than he did starting games. He was like Jake Speight in that respect, without the need to punch women in the face :lol:

Clements has always been the more frustrating, when he's good, he's very good.....but that only happens very rarely and never in consecutive games.
He's guaranteed to have two blinders a season though....when you play us home and away!

Rose I actually liked, thought he was a workhorse and got around the pitch well to break up play. Evans released him at Rotherham though, so the writing was on the wall for him straight away. If he gets a good run of games he'll be good for you, capable of filling in to do a Craig Disley type job.

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
In terms of what we're supposedly shelling out for players too, Darragh McAnthony via twitter has said we're not spending daft money and our wages are quite reasonable.
You can only assume it's topped up by incentives then, which is a big favourite of Evans'.
So if we get promoted, the bill will be much higher than if we don't, simple as that really. Promotion means an increase in revenue, and higher crowds. Only our chairman won't be stupid enough to believe we can average 7,000-8,000 every week like yours did, and base a totally unrealistic budget on that expectation.

I heard it said that even if the Spireite's were paying out no wages at all, they'd have needed crowds of 7000 to break even? Something smells fishy there if correct. No womder there was a huge fire sale on talent and Cook was resigned to leaving before a ball was even kicked in the playoffs.

I think anyone who uses Darragh McAnthony to back up an arguement is deluded. The guy has about as much b8llshit inside him as that other joker connected to Peterborough, Barry Fry. They are both muppets who are full of cr8p imho

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Tommy Lee when fit, possibly....but I can't see him ever getting there after such a long lay off so it's a no from me.

Evatt....if it was the Evatt of four years ago, possibly. Not a chance now I'm afraid. We have five centre halves currently better than him. The bloke can't run so you have no choice but to partner him with someone with a bit of mobility (Baptiste at Blackpool), or you play a deep line. 5 at the back with 3 centre halves is your new preferred style...coincidence? I think not...Evatt needs two players either side of him in my opinion.

Binnom-Williams....from our "feeder" club Peterborough? If he was all that, he'd be a Stag now no question. He wouldn't get a game ahead of Benning who has been consistently good for us for two straight seasons now, and pops up with a few screamers per season. No chance again.

And O'Grady? 4 grand a week for someone with a scoring record worse than a centre half? I understand he does a different type of job yes, but we could have kept Matt Rhead for a fraction od that cost who has bullied Premier League defenders regularly last season, and scores more goals. I'd have sooner kept Matt Green on a rumoured similar wage to O'Gradys....he was poor last season yet still managed 13 goals in a poor side of Murray's, and out on the wing for Evans.

That's my justification there for you, so no, I wouldn't take any one of those four.
Oh dear :ffs:

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
In terms of what we're supposedly shelling out for players too, Darragh McAnthony via twitter has said we're not spending daft money and our wages are quite reasonable.
You can only assume it's topped up by incentives then, which is a big favourite of Evans'.
So if we get promoted, the bill will be much higher than if we don't, simple as that really. Promotion means an increase in revenue, and higher crowds. Only our chairman won't be stupid enough to believe we can average 7,000-8,000 every week like yours did, and base a totally unrealistic budget on that expectation.

I heard it said that even if the Spireite's were paying out no wages at all, they'd have needed crowds of 7000 to break even? Something smells fishy there if correct. No womder there was a huge fire sale on talent and Cook was resigned to leaving before a ball was even kicked in the playoffs.
To be fair the alarming thing is we weren't far off a 7000 average for a season or two were a a lot of 7k+ crowds, which highlights the issue we have with pissing money everywhere when you consider the play off run, 2 wembley finals, cup run, player sales and general success off the pitch in the conferencing and banqueting stuff. I'm not daft enough to think our problems are over, they won't be until Carson is gone and Dave Allen has flogged up.

Thankfully with him pulling us off the market it looks as though he released the side has to be half decent to be an attractive proposition to sell for anywhere near his daft valuation

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
With the in depth knowledge of both sets of squads both sets of fans seem to have on here, i'm having trouble working out who supports who...
They have a 40 page thread solely about us on their own forum... Make of that what you will #Obsessed

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Too much trading facts and figures and not enough bile - I thought you 2 hated each other

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
And he also started this thread yet he calls Mansfield fans obsessed, the guy is a first class plank.

Most of the 40 page thread is mocking them for their off-field goings on. I guess it's nice to be the stable, well ran club.

Fandemonium

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
OK, so seemingly it is only one Spireite poster who seems to believe your signings are going to turn you into the new Barcelona of league 2, like the good old heydays of Paul Cook.
I do stand by my stance that I do not look upon your squad with any envy whatsoever though.
I've witnessed many players at Chesterfield over the years that I would have loved to have, but for the first time (and believe me I am really surprised myself by this) I wouldn't take any.
That's just my opinion, one that other Stags fans share too.
There will have been many a year where the boot was on the other foot, and you'd not want a single one of ours.

For a few of us to have that opinion now, should speak more to you about what the dee dahs have done to your club when only a short few years ago you were a couple of games away from Championship football.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here.

You've already accepted that only the naïve, gullible or uninformed deny those Deedahs you speak of (nice Tairn-talk, by the way) are screwing us, just as only the blindly loyal will predict anything even approaching success.

But hey - if celebrating our demise goes some way to soothing all those years of what even you admit was envy - bitter, seething, jealous envy - then please be my guest (though for the record it was Sam Clucas who described us as 'Barcelona'. Y'know, as compared to the little club he'd just left..).

Mansfield signings v Chesterfield ones?

Gotta be honest and admit that whilst I'm told your recruits possess proven lower league pedigree I couldn't name 'em, let alone decide if they'll prosper or not. Similarly I always wait until I've seen our newbies in a blue shirt before judging their worth.

So as you clearly spend as much time obsessing on CFC as your own club I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here.

You've already accepted that only the naïve, gullible or uninformed deny those Deedahs you speak of (nice Tairn-talk, by the way) are screwing us, just as only the blindly loyal will predict anything even approaching success.

But hey - if celebrating our demise goes some way to soothing all those years of what even you admit was envy - bitter, seething, jealous envy - then please be my guest (though for the record it was Sam Clucas who described us as 'Barcelona'. Y'know, as compared to the little club he'd just left..).

Mansfield signings v Chesterfield ones?

Gotta be honest and admit that whilst I'm told your recruits possess proven lower league pedigree I couldn't name 'em, let alone decide if they'll prosper or not. Similarly I always wait until I've seen our newbies in a blue shirt before judging their worth.

So as you clearly spend as much time obsessing on CFC as your own club I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

The Reverend Skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
The mighty Skyblues
I miss having a thread with our great rivals , pick either Leicester or Villa, and by the looks of it it will be many good years before we are in the same league again.
I wonder if Notts County fancy having a bash at this, I think they are the closest to us.

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I miss having a thread with our great rivals , pick either Leicester or Villa, and by the looks of it it will be many good years before we are in the same league again.
I wonder if Notts County fancy having a bash at this, I think they are the closest to us.
They're desperate for a rival themselves. They like to make a big thing of it with us, but we couldn't care less about them when Chesterfield are around. Similarly, Lincoln are the same, their rivalry lies with Grimsby.

You should start finding reasons to dislike each other.

Last edited:

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
One I'm sure you Stags and Spireites will appreciate. I was given Carl Muggleton's jersey from the 2007-08 season as a present earlier today. It drowns me as it's an XL but I have fond memories of Carl being a decent keeper for us after joining from you in his later, advancing years.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
One I'm sure you Stags and Spireites will appreciate. I was given Carl Muggleton's jersey from the 2007-08 season as a present earlier today. It drowns me as it's an XL but I have fond memories of Carl being a decent keeper for us after joining from you in his later, advancing years.
Didn't he throw a corner into his own net when we won 3-1 at your place? Lester rounded the keeper infront of our fans for one of the goals too.

Always was a Spireite, Carl. Remember our fans singing "you've got a spireite, in your net" for about 10 minutes during the second half when Carl was in the goal.

Jokes a side, great keeper and a nice bloke.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

He was a cheap option and made plenty of mistakes - him and Jason White were frauds of goalkeepers.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
He was a cheap option and made plenty of mistakes - him and Jason White were frauds of goalkeepers.

Tough crowd.

He was signed to backup and be a positive role model for Jason White. Given he was 37 and initially signed a one-year deal he did well to earn a contract for the following season.

For how cheap we thought he was, he was decent.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Tough crowd.

He was signed to backup and be a positive role model for Jason White. Given he was 37 and initially signed a one-year deal he did well to earn a contract for the following season.

For how cheap we thought he was, he was decent.

On that mitigating circumstance, maybe. In honesty, it was all the budget probably allowed - which was probably the thick end of a button.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield, We're Fucking Shit and Conference North Bound!!
Surely Grimsby v Lincoln is on a par with chesterfield v mansfield would people not agree?
I've seen our derby feature in several top 5's/10's in articles over the years about such as Most Hate Filled, Most Spiteful, and such like. (Rangers v Celtic invariably come out in first place)

It really is a big un, and there's nothing else like it in L2 this year. The miners strike background is what elevated it to basically pure animosity. It could be excellent this season if we are both genuine contenders as I think we will be!

That said I do agree Lincoln v Grimsby I also a nasty un.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield, We're Fucking Shit and Conference North Bound!!
There is a great thread on our board about previous ding dongs with Grimsby and prediction of all hell breaking loose on the opening day of the season, that day gets a mention
Does is mention the fire that the Grimsby lot started on the Compton/Cross Street corner? I was there and the behaviour of their lot wasn't any better than ours :)

King Kev

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
And I remember when we beat you at field mill taking 3 sides of your OWN stadium in the process... Good times

Just wading in as I love a good lower league rivalry, what year was it and what was the occasion. And how on earth was that ever allowed to happen? Two sides I can accept, but three for a local derby? Jesus Christ that must have been embarrassing for Mansfield fans, Haslam should have been forced out there and then. If we ever did that for a game against Dale, Oldham or Bolton I would be hard pressed to attend full stop!

King Kev

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Congratulations on the fanciful version of history, made to suit your crap argument.

That team that was promoted in 2002 was created accidentally. Haslam had pulled the rug from under subsequent managers, to the point where Billy Dearden had 8 players a week before the 1999-2000 season. The guy had to rely on the youth policy which eventually produced much of that promotion winning team in 01-02. The most exciting team we've had in thirty years was an accident because the asset stripper had taken the bones off the wage budget and wasn't paying the players (the PFA were). That exciting team and Dearden's management created the buzz and the increased crowds. And what did the Calver cowboy do? Didn't offer the manager a new contract, never invested in promotion, which helped relegate us in one season and frittered away once in a generation potential.

As for Field Mill, you're having a giggle. Allegedly cost £5m, which went this direction and that (a bit like Darren Brown's brown envelopes). A few people made a few bob, the tiles started falling from the dressing rooms within a year and Radford has spent hundreds of thousands on patching up a sack of shite that still belongs to, oh yeah, the asset stripper.

Life's been a barrel of laughs. And its even more amusing when a spoilt Spireite tries to lay down the facts. Only a spell in the non-league dungeon (as witnessed by bigger clubs than ours) makes you really understand how good regular mid-table life under decent ownership really is.

Keep your fingers crossed that you avoid the pleasure. Though it'll be great to hear your stories of that joy-fest.

I wade in again, I will never forget arriving at a pub in Southampton in 2008 for Bury's fourth round FA Cup tie. Mansfield vs Middlesborough was on the box and Charlton Palmer was an expert pundit, harping on about the ungrateful Stags fans and talking about what a job Haslam had done for Mansfield.

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I wade in again, I will never forget arriving at a pub in Southampton in 2008 for Bury's fourth round FA Cup tie. Mansfield vs Middlesborough was on the box and Charlton Palmer was an expert pundit, harping on about the ungrateful Stags fans and talking about what a job Haslam had done for Mansfield.
The WORST football manager to ever represent Mansfield Town, who was appointed simply because he lived local to Haslam and was his drinking buddy. He still makes appearances on social media having a drink with him to this very day. He hasn't got the foggiest what Haslam did to our club, because quite simply, he hasn't even got the foggiest how to manage one himself.

Flaxman's Alibi

Reaction score
Supports
Tubby Evans Embalming Army

England's Carlton Palmer is well known around these parts as a personal friend of Haslam. He's held held in almost the same regard as the asset stripper. Plies his trade in China now; it's not far enough away for me.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Just wading in as I love a good lower league rivalry, what year was it and what was the occasion. And how on earth was that ever allowed to happen? Two sides I can accept, but three for a local derby? Jesus Christ that must have been embarrassing for Mansfield fans, Haslam should have been forced out there and then. If we ever did that for a game against Dale, Oldham or Bolton I would be hard pressed to attend full stop!

Think Chesterfield bought around 3500 that day. That would have been the full Quarry Lane and Bishop St which is about 2500 seats and then I imagine 1000 in the North Stand. I was about 8 then so can't remember it very well. Even in 2007/08 Haslam gave them more tickets than what the away end held and 200 or so of them had to stand on some old unsafe concrete steps at the side of Bishop Street which was falling down then.

Sickens me he was allowed to separate the club from its own ground and still receives a yearly instalment for it, Up until 2019. That day will be a good day, Only bettered by the day he finally snuffs it.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
01/02 I think? We won 1-0 and Laurie Duffeld scored. I was 10 or 11 and stood down the side of the ground. We were literally everywhere. No idea why it was allowed to happen but yeah not something we will ever forget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!