The Mansfield, Notts County, Lincoln and East Midlands mega thread

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
My point is, the tactical genius that is Caldwell has no ability to drastically change anything. If 5-3-2 has little or no success, you're screwed until January.
And the last thing you want is Caldwell going into January in a mass panic. That worked wonders last time round :lol:

Fandemonium

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
fandamonium doesn't seem to have our recent history very accurately etched...

Really? So which of the facts posted are untrue? Please, be my guest, point them out.

Look, we get it; Haslam fucked you over. In the same way fans of pretty much every club can point a finger at someone who's done summat similar to them (it was Darren Brown in our case, a bloke subsequently jailed for his rape and pillage - though I don't recall Haslam ever facing a single charge for his time at Field Mill...).

But because the success subsequently bought by a multi-millionaire owner has failed to inspire traditionally indifferent locals - as predicted by your ilk and maybe even yourself - this 'lost generation' victimhood has become a convenient excuse.

Especially as the likes of Lincoln, Luton, Grimsby, Oxford and others seem to've maintained or rebuilt their fanbase despite periods in non league...

Shapemaker

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield fc
My point is, the tactical genius that is Caldwell has no ability to drastically change anything. If 5-3-2 has little or no success, you're screwed until January.
And the last thing you want is Caldwell going into January in a mass panic. That worked wonders last time round :lol:
Didn't Caldwell win league 1 few seasons ago? Also Paul cook had a preferred formation/style of play(his plan b wasn't that great either by the way) , managers knew , tried to stop us , we still won the league. Same with Sheridan as well. Your bitterness is beautiful.

Fandemonium

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Worried :lol:

For the first time in my entire Stags supporting life, I look at your squad without any envy whatsoever. On average in 28+ years of supporting Mansfield....at your worst, at least 5 or 6 of your squad would walk into our team and not only get regular football, they'd have been our best players by a country mile.

I wouldn't take one of your players now thinking they'd improve what's out there on the pitch.
So I couldn't be any further from "worried."
24 years of being above us, I think it's your lot who are worried. Even if we cock this all up by the largest of all proportions, which would take some serious doing, our clubs are chalk and cheese at the moment and are heading in polar opposite directions under the ownership.
So it's going to happen sooner rather than later unless Allen finds someone mentally retarded but extremely rich, and gets his asking price.

Wow! Just...wow.

The sheer volume and venom of your rants tell us every one of those 'twenty eight years supporting Mansfield' must've been a living hell. And of course the detail you go into when describing our predicament reveals you spend as much, perhaps even more of your life focussing upon Town than you do your own little club.

That's really rather troubling...

Summat else, too. Your comments on not swapping any of our players for your's are pretty much verbatim what a regular troll has been saying on our forum. You him? Because if so you'll know that rather than 'plenty of Spireites proclaiming their signings are better than ours' (can you provide, say, three examples of that? Just three?) most on there have only recently gone from discussing successive relegations to mild optimism based upon encouraging pre-season performances.

As you'll also know the rainbow tinted faith of 'ODL' would be laughed off by the realistic majority.

Me? I think Evans is a proven manager when he's money to spend. And it appears Radford's performed a full one hundred and eighty degree-er from his moratorium of 'One Call' loans because of local indifference to signing experienced lower league players. Two problems, though: he won't be able to replace those with whom he'll inevitably clash with loanees, as he's previously done, and it'll only take a bigger club making him a better offer for him to do one. That said I can't blame the bookies for making MTFC favourites.

Us? Well the phrase 'You win nowt wi' kids' will probably feature prominently this season. Dunno if that'll be from folk lamenting another defeat or with a grinning, ironic wink in their eye, though...

WH_Stag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

Last edited:

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Seriously when was the last time Mansfield Town football club did absolutely anything of note or importance??? And no you can't count winning the pub league, Alfreton Town were in the play offs of that league a couple of seasons back ffs!!!

Yet EVERY pre season they feed up the same old drivel about how they're going to do this, and how they're going to do that...

As Conor mcgregor would say.. 'You'll do f*cking nothing'

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Seriously when was the last time Mansfield Town football club did absolutely anything of note or importance??? And no you can't count winning the pub league, Alfreton Town were in the play offs of that league a couple of seasons back ffs!!!

Yet EVERY pre season they feed up the same old drivel about how they're going to do this, and how they're going to do that...

I think you'll find there's stony silence from most fans for that basis, which deems your post irrelevant

WH_Stag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
You finished 12th, therefore run-of-the-mill.

And yes, self sufficiently beating L1 clubs to players' signatures on crowds of 3000. :lol: Sure.

Only run of the mill because the first half of the season was murrays squad which was dire. Evans with some poor players and only a month long transfer window almost got us into the playoffs. And we had average gates of close to 4000 and that during a mostly dire season with terrible football on show.

The club makes a hell of a lot of money all week through other things, not just on a Saturday like you lot. Were not in debt and aren't going to be anytime soon

Id be worried this year if i was grimsby, you're return to the league might be over soon, are you lot not worried you've signed no decent players and have no decent players in your entire squad??!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

And Alfreton never were, try again.

Fandemonium

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
The club makes a hell of a lot of money all week through other things, not just on a Saturday like you lot.
Id be worried this year if i was grimsby, you're return to the league might be over soon

Sorry to quote facts again (okay, maybe not...) but Radford was forced to ring-fence the, what - five million the club owes him after buying their way out of non league? because revenue wasn't sufficient to meet payments. He also stated at the time how disappointed he was by the lack of support from the Mansfield public, barely three thousand turning up for the 'dream come true' return to league football then only just over four for our visit, arguably the biggest game of the season, a few months later.

Fair play if he's changed his mind and decided to blow - or should that be let Evans blow - another few million. But historical records show the fans to fund that kinda spending long term just aren't there.

Last edited:

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
I think you'll find there's stony silence from most fans for that basis, which deems your post irrelevant
Most fans but not our fans??? 2 league titles, one JPT winners medal, another JPT final appearance, a league 1 play offs appearance... All in 7 years

WH_Stag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Sorry to quote facts again (okay, maybe I'm not...) but Radford was forced to ring-fence the, what - five million the club owes him after buying their way out of non league? because revenue wasn't sufficient to meet payments. He also stated at the time how disappointed he was by the lack of support from the Mansfield public, barely three thousand turning up for the 'dream come true' return to league football then only just over four for our visit, arguably the biggest game of the season, a few months later.

Fair play if he's changed his mind and decided to blow - or should that be let Evans blow - another few million. But historical records show the fans to fund that kinda spending long term just aren't there.

We only need 4000 gates to make a profit, thats how well the club are doing off the pitch.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
We only need 4000 gates to make a profit, thats how well the club are doing off the pitch.
That's pure b*llocks... It might have Been the case last season, but the money you've spent on players wages this summer will mean you will 100% not be making a profit on 4,000 gates!

Fandemonium

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield

Is that to break even or start repaying Radford/One Call's loans? And how many season tickets have you sold? How many times were there four thousand there last season? When you were last successful? How many times have you averaged that many over the last, say, thirty years?

As for non match days you've a modest bar that occasionally puts on turns, a couple of five a side pitches and some sort of 'executive' facility that I'm not sure opens that often. I've certainly not seen it promoted in the area. So seriously, what kind of income do you honestly believe they generate?

Look, I'm not some nit-picking pedant trying to belittle your revenue, I'm merely basing my observations on facts. What's more whilst you're trying to say Evans' presence and squad building is sustainable Staglets visiting our forum are bragging about how Radford's somehow 'going for it'.

It just doesn't add up.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
IMG_0234.JPG

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Only run of the mill because the first half of the season was murrays squad which was dire. Evans with some poor players and only a month long transfer window almost got us into the playoffs. And we had average gates of close to 4000 and that during a mostly dire season with terrible football on show.

The club makes a hell of a lot of money all week through other things, not just on a Saturday like you lot. Were not in debt and aren't going to be anytime soon

Id be worried this year if i was grimsby, you're return to the league might be over soon, are you lot not worried you've signed no decent players and have no decent players in your entire squad??!
I know you're baiting but that team with no decent players managed to beat yours 3-0.

Great thread btw guys.

WH_Stag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Is that to break even or start repaying Radford/One Call's loans? And how many season tickets have you sold? How many times were there four thousand there last season? When you were last successful? How many times have you averaged that many over the last, say, thirty years?

As for non match days you've a modest bar that occasionally puts on turns, a couple of five a side pitches and some sort of 'executive' facility that I'm not sure opens that often. I've certainly not seen it promoted in the area. So seriously, what kind of income do you honestly believe they generate?

Look, I'm not some nit-picking pedant trying to belittle your revenue, I'm merely basing my observations on facts. What's more whilst you're trying to say Evans' presence and squad building is sustainable Staglets visiting our forum are bragging about how Radford's somehow 'going for it'.

It just doesn't add up.

I really don't care about this as much as you.... But at least we will finish above you for once in our history :wave:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Most fans but not our fans??? 2 league titles, one JPT winners medal, another JPT final appearance, a league 1 play offs appearance... All in 7 years

Our fans for gods sake...

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
OK, so seemingly it is only one Spireite poster who seems to believe your signings are going to turn you into the new Barcelona of league 2, like the good old heydays of Paul Cook.
I do stand by my stance that I do not look upon your squad with any envy whatsoever though.
I've witnessed many players at Chesterfield over the years that I would have loved to have, but for the first time (and believe me I am really surprised myself by this) I wouldn't take any.
That's just my opinion, one that other Stags fans share too.
There will have been many a year where the boot was on the other foot, and you'd not want a single one of ours.

For a few of us to have that opinion now, should speak more to you about what the dee dahs have done to your club when only a short few years ago you were a couple of games away from Championship football.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
OK, so seemingly it is only one Spireite poster who seems to believe your signings are going to turn you into the new Barcelona of league 2, like the good old heydays of Paul Cook.
I do stand by my stance that I do not look upon your squad with any envy whatsoever though.
I've witnessed many players at Chesterfield over the years that I would have loved to have, but for the first time (and believe me I am really surprised myself by this) I wouldn't take any.
That's just my opinion, one that other Stags fans share too.
There will have been many a year where the boot was on the other foot, and you'd not want a single one of ours.

For a few of us to have that opinion now, should speak more to you about what the dee dahs have done to your club when only a short few years ago you were a couple of games away from Championship football.
Tommy Lee (When Fit), Ian Evatt, Binnom-Williams, Chris O'Grady, them four walk into your team... There are others you could make a case for aswell, but why don't we just wait till november when we come to your place, then we'll know won't we

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
In terms of what we're supposedly shelling out for players too, Darragh McAnthony via twitter has said we're not spending daft money and our wages are quite reasonable.
You can only assume it's topped up by incentives then, which is a big favourite of Evans'.
So if we get promoted, the bill will be much higher than if we don't, simple as that really. Promotion means an increase in revenue, and higher crowds. Only our chairman won't be stupid enough to believe we can average 7,000-8,000 every week like yours did, and base a totally unrealistic budget on that expectation.

I heard it said that even if the Spireite's were paying out no wages at all, they'd have needed crowds of 7000 to break even? Something smells fishy there if correct. No womder there was a huge fire sale on talent and Cook was resigned to leaving before a ball was even kicked in the playoffs.

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Tommy Lee (When Fit), Ian Evatt, Binnom-Williams, Chris O'Grady, them four walk into your team... There are others you could make a case for aswell, but why don't we just wait till november when we come to your place, then we'll know won't we
Tommy Lee when fit, possibly....but I can't see him ever getting there after such a long lay off so it's a no from me.

Evatt....if it was the Evatt of four years ago, possibly. Not a chance now I'm afraid. We have five centre halves currently better than him. The bloke can't run so you have no choice but to partner him with someone with a bit of mobility (Baptiste at Blackpool), or you play a deep line. 5 at the back with 3 centre halves is your new preferred style...coincidence? I think not...Evatt needs two players either side of him in my opinion.

Binnom-Williams....from our "feeder" club Peterborough? If he was all that, he'd be a Stag now no question. He wouldn't get a game ahead of Benning who has been consistently good for us for two straight seasons now, and pops up with a few screamers per season. No chance again.

And O'Grady? 4 grand a week for someone with a scoring record worse than a centre half? I understand he does a different type of job yes, but we could have kept Matt Rhead for a fraction od that cost who has bullied Premier League defenders regularly last season, and scores more goals. I'd have sooner kept Matt Green on a rumoured similar wage to O'Gradys....he was poor last season yet still managed 13 goals in a poor side of Murray's, and out on the wing for Evans.

That's my justification there for you, so no, I wouldn't take any one of those four.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

But still run-of-the-mill and still finished 12th. Almost made the playoffs, but finished 12th. We almost had the top scorer in the division and were up near the playoffs in November, so we also almost made it I guess? Also not sure what your final average was, but it was around 3,300 in about Feb/March so without checking I reckon you're dressing that 4,000 figure up a bit.

You're not in debt because of Radford, too. What exactly are these other avenues of revenue that have enabled you to swim around in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck? I don't buy it. Maybe Barnet can get away with it with relatively low overheads, but there's no way you're funding a L1 budget on a Waitrose car park and some 5-a-side pitches or whatever you have at the One Call. Oh wait, actually? Wasn't there some thing about Radford and the 'One Call Girls'? :lol: The plot thickens.

I'm not worried about going down, no. I don't think we'll be pulling up any trees this season, but we should have enough about us to be safe. I'd be interested to hear why you don't rate Sam Jones and Jamey Osborne though? I guess you saw lot of them last season, to be so adamant that we have no decent players?

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
SOC what's the verdicts on Clemo, Rose and Yussuf?

I assume they were signed on Moore's reccomendation, but he's now gone back to lovey-dovey hoofball with Paul Cox, so are they still rated/wanted?

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby

I assume they were signed on Moore's reccomendation, but he's now gone back to lovey-dovey hoofball with Paul Cox, so are they still rated/wanted?
Yussuf was forgotten about until this pre-season, where he's looked considerably stronger, quicker and he's actually scoring so it looks like he's involved next year.

Clements was playing and scoring regularly until Slade came in. I rated him but apparently Slade doesn't as he's not been seen all pre-season.

Rose is a Slade signing so I expect him to be involved. Haven't seen him yet so can't really comment.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Tommy Lee when fit, possibly....but I can't see him ever getting there after such a long lay off so it's a no from me.

Evatt....if it was the Evatt of four years ago, possibly. Not a chance now I'm afraid. We have five centre halves currently better than him. The bloke can't run so you have no choice but to partner him with someone with a bit of mobility (Baptiste at Blackpool), or you play a deep line. 5 at the back with 3 centre halves is your new preferred style...coincidence? I think not...Evatt needs two players either side of him in my opinion.

Binnom-Williams....from our "feeder" club Peterborough? If he was all that, he'd be a Stag now no question. He wouldn't get a game ahead of Benning who has been consistently good for us for two straight seasons now, and pops up with a few screamers per season. No chance again.

And O'Grady? 4 grand a week for someone with a scoring record worse than a centre half? I understand he does a different type of job yes, but we could have kept Matt Rhead for a fraction od that cost who has bullied Premier League defenders regularly last season, and scores more goals. I'd have sooner kept Matt Green on a rumoured similar wage to O'Gradys....he was poor last season yet still managed 13 goals in a poor side of Murray's, and out on the wing for Evans.

That's my justification there for you, so no, I wouldn't take any one of those four.
Your specs are so rose tinted I'm surprised you haven't got bees pollenating on your face.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Yep, similar to what Paul said except for I'm not as keen on Clements. However, admittedly I have only seen him a couple of times. I don't really take any notice of pre-season at all, so I'll judge Rose once we kick off on August 5th. Yussuf is pretty much what you lot said when he came here, is potentially a decent player but pretty frustrating. All three of them are relatively early on in their Grimsby careers though, so we'll just have to wait and see. None of them excite me a massive amount, but I suspect they are all good enough to hold down a place at the least on the fringes of our starting line up.

Also, worth pointing out that the first time Slade was here as manager he was 100% all about the hoofball, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him keeping that in mind as an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!