2017/18 Checkatrade Trophy thread

Reaction score
Supports
Everything Wrong With Modern Football™
great job on this thread everyone.

we saved the soul of english football tonight, at least temporarily. you should be applauding us.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Ah so me winning the argument resorts in you swearing. Bless.

Naaww did a swear word hurt your feelings little snowflake. Bless. Big bad world out there beyond your study.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Naaww did a swear word hurt your feelings little snowflake. Bless. Big bad world out there beyond your study.

Oh, I'm from Mansfield pal. We don't have study's there.

Regarding the chip on my shoulder - I'm a little confused. What is there to have a chip on my shoulder for? I look at you and think you've had a great season so far. I remember the 1-0 win at Lincoln where we didn't play so well and the 16 year old Lincoln fans trying to goad a disabled Mansfield fan. I then think are you better than Mansfield? No. Are you above Mansfield? No. Have Mansfield been Wembley? Yes. Have we won at Wembley? Yes.

if basically us doing everything better than you is having a chip on my shoulder, well boy. Ill go get some more.

How's those automatic places you predicted going? :fl:

Grecian O'Grecian

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Firstly, I somewhat appreciate there is a dilemma if your club has an opportunity to make it to Wembley for the first time in their history. I think no matter the route or competition it would always spark interest with sections of supporters.

But had Chelsea's kids won the shootout tonight you could just imagine the cries of "it's not fair a proper club like Lincoln and their fans have been denied a first trip to Wembley by a bunch of overpaid Premier League reserve players" and the like. But they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

That's a reason I don't support the competition. The opportunity of giving League 1 and 2 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley was put secondary to the task of developing the young players at top level clubs. Why should any of us care about or want that? But for me it's about the bigger picture. It's especially naïve to assume they wouldn't try and implement B teams into the league structure. Of course they would! And a universal acceptance of this competition would be a big step towards it.

Lincoln get very good crowds for this level. My reaction to this whole Checkatrade run of theirs is the vast majority of their fans just don't care about making a stand or about the wider consequences of embracing this format. They like what their club is doing and want to watch them play when they can. An extra 4/5/6,000 fans came from nowhere last season. I don't have a clue where they came or what 'big team' they were following beforehand but I'd suggest that should the league structure ever be ruined by the introduction of B teams they'd find it just as easy to revert to their old lifestyle.

I don't begrudge Lincoln their day at Wembley but for me, the 133 years argument doesn't really hold any weight. Their attendances have been beyond embarrassing for the duration of this seasons competition, long before Wembley was in sight.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Oh, I'm from Mansfield pal. We don't have study's there.

Regarding the chip on my shoulder - I'm a little confused. What is there to have a chip on my shoulder for? I look at you and think you've had a great season so far. I remember the 1-0 win at Lincoln where we didn't play so well and the 16 year old Lincoln fans trying to goad a disabled Mansfield fan. I then think are you better than Mansfield? No. Are you above Mansfield? No. Have Mansfield been Wembley? Yes. Have we won at Wembley? Yes.

if basically us doing everything better than you is having a chip on my shoulder, well boy. Ill go get some more.

How's those automatic places you predicted going? :fl:

No you don't because it's a shithole full of little scabs like you, pal.

Regarding the chip on your shoulder I'm also very confused. Don't know why you're so bothered about our progress and attendances in this competition. You've told everyone a hundred times how pleased you were that you got knocked out blah blah not that anyone gives a fuck.

Considering you couldn't care less about it this competition has taken up a hell of a lot of your free time this season commenting on it. May I suggest next season spending your energy rallying for more soup kitchens or something instead.

Still in with a great shout of autos..brilliant season so far thanks for asking :thumbs:

Luton.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Firstly, I somewhat appreciate there is a dilemma if your club has an opportunity to make it to Wembley for the first time in their history. I think no matter the route or competition it would always spark interest with sections of supporters.

But had Chelsea's kids won the shootout tonight you could just imagine the cries of "it's not fair a proper club like Lincoln and their fans have been denied a first trip to Wembley by a bunch of overpaid Premier League reserve players" and the like. But they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

That's a reason I don't support the competition. The opportunity of giving League 1 and 2 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley was put secondary to the task of developing the young players at top level clubs. Why should any of us care about or want that? But for me it's about the bigger picture. It's especially naïve to assume they wouldn't try and implement B teams into the league structure. Of course they would! And a universal acceptance of this competition would be a big step towards it.

Lincoln get very good crowds for this level. My reaction to this whole Checkatrade run of theirs is the vast majority of their fans just don't care about making a stand or about the wider consequences of embracing this format. They like what their club is doing and want to watch them play when they can. An extra 4/5/6,000 fans came from nowhere last season. I don't have a clue where they came or what 'big team' they were following beforehand but I'd suggest that should the league structure ever be ruined by the introduction of B teams they'd find it just as easy to revert to their old lifestyle.

I don't begrudge Lincoln their day at Wembley but for me, the 133 years argument doesn't really hold any weight. Their attendances have been beyond embarrassing for the duration of this seasons competition, long before Wembley was in sight.

Lovely post but our Board have already said they'll vote against B teams. We've nothing to protest about.

Fair enough if you're Mansfield, Notts or Grimsby, who clearly voted to admit U21 sides to the Checkatrade for a bit of cash.

Don't claim we are making a case for B teams. Look closer to home for that one and ask questions of the people running your club. Which way did your owners vote? Being fan-owned I hope it was the "right" way.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Even if your owners did do the right thing, that’s only half the battle. Just because certain other people with power make bad choices shouldn’t mean that the rest of you can say ‘Oh well, we tried. Nothing we can do now’. Even if our board had voted against, we’d have still protested, so don’t act like that’s reasoning for attending. Also saw many Lincoln fans having a go at their own boycotters, along the lines of ‘are you going to go Wembley now lol!!!’.

Can’t wait to see what happens with this competition next season.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Fuck sake, guys. Let them enjoy getting to Wembley. It’s a big thing. Bollocks to football politics - fans won’t get listened to anyhow - so get yer jollies where you can.

Hope you all have a good day out and, maybe, take your eye off the L2 ball!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
No you don't because it's a shithole full of little scabs like you, pal.

Regarding the chip on your shoulder I'm also very confused. Don't know why you're so bothered about our progress and attendances in this competition. You've told everyone a hundred times how pleased you were that you got knocked out blah blah not that anyone gives a fuck.

Considering you couldn't care less about it this competition has taken up a hell of a lot of your free time this season commenting on it. May I suggest next season spending your energy rallying for more soup kitchens or something instead.

Still in with a great shout of autos..brilliant season so far thanks for asking :thumbs:

Luton.

Oh dear.

Oh dear

Last edited:

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Lovely post but our Board have already said they'll vote against B teams. We've nothing to protest about.

Fair enough if you're Mansfield, Notts or Grimsby, who clearly voted to admit U21 sides to the Checkatrade for a bit of cash.

Don't claim we are making a case for B teams. Look closer to home for that one and ask questions of the people running your club. Which way did your owners vote? Being fan-owned I hope it was the "right" way.
We did vote against continuing with this format. Fat lot of good that did.
Would yours if there was a vote tomorrow? I sincerely doubt it

MaineRoad_96

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
I’m a ST holder at Lincoln and have been boycotting this competition. I found the attendance last night and the pitch invasion embarrassing if I’m honest. There are a number of people boycotting so can only assume the attendance was supplemented by the usual part-timers you always get at ‘big’ cup games.

Having said that Gisbert Bos makes an excellent argument for why Lincoln fans are going - we didn’t vote for B Team inclusion and to be fair to the club they’ve publicly said they’ll vote against it when they get a chance to (something they haven’t had to date). The other League Two clubs had a chance to vote against it and the likes of Grimsby and Mansfield didn’t.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Yes. They've come out and said they would.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Oh dear.

Oh dear

AD86C046-B683-4F95-AF68-AA3FF17604E1.jpeg

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I'll bring you all back to the below point, which still stands. Until many, many more Club Boards show they've got a set of balls, then nothing will happen. Boycott's bring some media attention to it, which it has done a good job of, but boycotts won't change the format. Last season sides were boycotting and yet Clubs *still* voted 'for' the format. Voting against the format is the only way it'll change. No-where near enough Clubs did.

If our Club had voted 'for', despite holding a vote on the format and/or canvassing fan opinion (like Notts County, like Grimsby etc) then people would have a point about our attendances. But we didn't have anything to vote on anyway, for a start.

No it wouldn't. There's been talk of dropping this competition for years as far back as your decade out of the league.

The real problem are the Club's putting money before their supporters wishes. Most Chairman/Boards were swung by a slightly increased entrance fee of the competition this season.

The only thing that'll stop U21 sides in this competition is by Club's voting against it. Until they do, nothing will change regardless of attendances.

We voted for B teams. Our fans responded with pretty much the smallest attendance in our history when we hosted Everton Under 21s.

A club is its fans, not whoever happens to be its owner. You had a chance to make a point tonight and you didn’t.
That's the fault of your Club for not listening to its fans and voting against their wishes. You've said yourself there that you've voted with your feet due to a Board decision.

Well, exactly. It needs many more Clubs to vote against but most are blinded by an extra £10k or whatever it is.

And yes. As we've said HUNDREDS of times on this thread, we've said we will vote against any B team and U21 ideas. We didn't have a vote this season.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I'm delighted I'm getting a chance to go to watch Lincoln at Wembley.

During the PO years, it was Cardiff and I've toured England for the last 17 years or so wondering if I'd ever see a league win, a promotion, a decent FA Cup run or watch my team at Wembley and unbelievably all that has happened in a year.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Well done, Lincoln. It will be a fantastic day for everyone associated with the club. Will never forget our final last year, one of the best weekends I've had following Coventry.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
I think Lincoln will enjoy losing their Wembley virginity in this pile of shit competition about as much as I did losing mine, with the fattest bird on my college course. Awful

They will have a great time, it does not matter which competition it is in.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Well done, Lincoln. It will be a fantastic day for everyone associated with the club. Will never forget our final last year, one of the best weekends I've had following Coventry.
Cheers mate sure we will, my daughter was over the moon this morning when I told we were going to Wembley.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Fuck sake, guys. Let them enjoy getting to Wembley. It’s a big thing. Bollocks to football politics - fans won’t get listened to anyhow - so get yer jollies where you can.

Hope you all have a good day out and, maybe, take your eye off the L2 ball!
Thanks Dan.
Not with our two in charge! They didn't last season when we had two cup runs on the go.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
We got to Wembley via the FA Trophy and it ruined it somewhat, being for a tinpot trophy that nobody cared about.

The EFL Trophy should mean something, before my time Mansfield won it and that was a big deal, but it’s currently a joke of a competition for obvious reasons.

Lincoln fans support for this is unfortunately something that is going to be used for the arguement of keeping this shambolic format.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
great job on this thread everyone.

we saved the soul of english football tonight, at least temporarily. you should be applauding us.

Imagine If everyone thought the same way Lincoln do?

If they did this competition would have been a stunning success and b teams would be being fasttracked into the EFL for next season as we speak.

So no they haven't saved the soul of english football, they've simply taken advantage of everyone else trying to.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Anyway Congratulations on Lincoln for reaching Wembley, this is what their fans have been dreaming of since they started supporting them last year.
Made I chuckle, that did!

Forza Imps

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Anyway Congratulations on Lincoln for reaching Wembley, this is what their fans have been dreaming of since they started supporting them last year.

Good one mate, not heard that one before. LMAAAAOOOOO

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

That did make me chuckle. Was also bizarre seeing 6,000 or so of them suffer their first home defeat, which was to us. Fair play to them though, hope it's a good day out

Last edited:

MaineRoad_96

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Imagine If everyone thought the same way Lincoln do?

If they did this competition would have been a stunning success and b teams would be being fasttracked into the EFL for next season as we speak.

So no they haven't saved the soul of english football, they've simply taken advantage
of everyone else trying to.

A Forest Green fan pontificating about the soul of English football. Fucks sake I’ve heard it all now.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Any Lincoln fans who need the directions to Wembley just drop me a PM. I've got a bit fed up of going there over the last few seasons. Became a bit like a second home to us. :bg:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Any Lincoln fans who need the directions to Wembley just drop me a PM. I've got a bit fed up of going there over the last few seasons. Became a bit like a second home to us. :bg:

Most of them are still dusting down directions to sincil bank :gr:

MaineRoad_96

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln

Looks like quite a few of your lot have lost their way to Blundell Park.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Luckily I imagine you've still got Guiseley and Barrow programmed into your satnav. (I know you take the train to games by the way)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!