CB: Chris Robertson
LB: Matty Taylor

CM: Toumani Diagouraga
CM: Michael Doughty
CAM: Steven Alzate

RW: Jermaine McGlashan
ST: Elijah Adebayo
LW: Keshi Anderson

Robertson won't start, we're still looking for 2 defenders.
Midfield looks strong.
Still looking for a striker meaning Adebayo may not start.

Marc Richards would probably be a shoe in up front but he's out until September.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Taylor has said we’re still going to bring in a couple more but with our current squad I’d say a classic 4-4-2 would work as:

Pym
Sweeney Brown Martin Moxey
Holmes Boateng Law Martin
Stockley Forte

Subs: Hamon, Oates, Croll, Taylor, Sparkes, Jay and Abrahams. Ordinarily I’d have Jake Taylor starting but think the other four midfielders are probably that bit better.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
At the minute, we're probably the below. Can't see anyone coming in and bettering what we have in the starting XI so I think most are pretty set.

Vickers

Eardley
Waterfall
Wharton
Toffolo

Bostwick
O'Connor
Frecklington

McCartan/Green
Akinde
Andrade

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
At the minute, we're probably the below. Can't see anyone coming in and bettering what we have in the starting XI so I think most are pretty set.

Vickers

Eardley
Waterfall
Wharton
Toffolo

Bostwick
O'Connor
Frecklington

McCartan/Green
Akinde
Andrade
All joking and banter aside that is a fine starting lineup that Cowley has put together. Definite improvement on last season. Only points of concern would be the injury concerns of the midfield perhaps? Did Bostwick play last night? If he is out and O'Connor picks up a niggle or something then you might be regretting the small squad size again, which is what arguably cost you last season. Also looking beyond starting XIs, is there any better scope for a Plan B? McCarton might offer that in a way, but it sounds like he is far from proven after reading the Bradford reviews. It's all well and good improving your starting XI but it seems a bit like Cowley is making the same mistakes again? Unless there are a few more coming in?

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Lincoln starting eleven looks very good and expensive to be fair.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
All joking and banter aside that is a fine starting lineup that Cowley has put together. Definite improvement on last season. Only points of concern would be the injury concerns of the midfield perhaps? Did Bostwick play last night? If he is out and O'Connor picks up a niggle or something then you might be regretting the small squad size again, which is what arguably cost you last season. Also looking beyond starting XIs, is there any better scope for a Plan B? McCarton might offer that in a way, but it sounds like he is far from proven after reading the Bradford reviews. It's all well and good improving your starting XI but it seems a bit like Cowley is making the same mistakes again? Unless there are a few more coming in?
The only properly injured player is Habergham.

Bostwick has a slight calf injury but Cowley said he would have played if they were league games.

O'Connor's fine, they just want to put him through more rehab and have him catch up on match fitness during the start of the season rather than pushing him through pre-season games.

There's Rhead, so we could quite easily revert. That'll be the Plan B. Akinde gives you a bit of everything as well, whilst at the back it's still pretty much the same as last season and we had one of the best defences.

The main change is lack of wingers. Cowley's always had 4 wingers but it didn't work last season and we couldn't quite get away with 4-4-2 as often so we've gone for Andrade type players who are wide forwards rather than strikers or out and out wingers (bar Anderson). We've definitely narrowed up, which isn't too much of a concern because Eardley got 15 assists from RB last season.

Look like we've got more goals in us this season than last, whilst keeping that solidity at the back and getting Wharton back was a big one to get over the line. On paper...

R.e. squad size, yeah, still too small. Cowley's said 21/22 and we're at 19. It'll probably be 21 because I think we'll sacrifice a back-up RB and play a CB out there if needed. CM and a wider player needed.

I've already highlighted CM as where we need another body. We go from those three to Chapman (just turned 17 but highly rated) and someone like Pett who is a central player apparently but closer to a number 10 than CM and wouldn't battle around like the others. We need someone in the Woodyard mould, but a Tesco own brand version rather than Waitrose one like he was - someone who'll come in and be steady without being spectacular (bit like Whitehouse, really).

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Vickers

Eardley
Waterfall
Wharton
Toffolo

Bostwick
O'Connor
Frecklington

McCartan/Green
Akinde
Andrade

I might be tempted to start with Smith in goal, but it's going to certainly give Vickers competition.

A strong starting XI with also a better bench than last season, Anderson, Rhead, Pett, Chapman, Habergham, Wilson Plus maybe Green or McCartan gives us more options than before with probably 2-3 additions more to come.

With 21/22 players, stilll not sure it's enough to finish in the play offs or above at the moment.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It should be. It's a better starting XI and squad than last season.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The only properly injured player is Habergham.

Bostwick has a slight calf injury but Cowley said he would have played if they were league games.

O'Connor's fine, they just want to put him through more rehab and have him catch up on match fitness during the start of the season rather than pushing him through pre-season games.

There's Rhead, so we could quite easily revert. That'll be the Plan B. Akinde gives you a bit of everything as well, whilst at the back it's still pretty much the same as last season and we had one of the best defences.

The main change is lack of wingers. Cowley's always had 4 wingers but it didn't work last season and we couldn't quite get away with 4-4-2 as often so we've gone for Andrade type players who are wide forwards rather than strikers or out and out wingers (bar Anderson). We've definitely narrowed up, which isn't too much of a concern because Eardley got 15 assists from RB last season.

Look like we've got more goals in us this season than last, whilst keeping that solidity at the back and getting Wharton back was a big one to get over the line. On paper...

R.e. squad size, yeah, still too small. Cowley's said 21/22 and we're at 19. It'll probably be 21 because I think we'll sacrifice a back-up RB and play a CB out there if needed. CM and a wider player needed.

I've already highlighted CM as where we need another body. We go from those three to Chapman (just turned 17 but highly rated) and someone like Pett who is a central player apparently but closer to a number 10 than CM and wouldn't battle around like the others. We need someone in the Woodyard mould, but a Tesco own brand version rather than Waitrose one like he was - someone who'll come in and be steady without being spectacular (bit like Whitehouse, really).
Ah yeah, I forgot about Rhead and Anderson to be fair. They'll be decent options off the bench that offer something different to your starting lineup, I guess. Will be interesting to see if Cowley can keep up this high level of recruitment if you're going for another CM, as I can't really think of anyone available. Are there any rumours going round?

With regards to our starting lineup, Harry Clifton played at LWB last night and did alright apparently, I think this is a slot that is definitely up for grabs with Fox getting mixed reviews in that role and Dixon not being particularly in the frame.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Ah yeah, I forgot about Rhead and Anderson to be fair. They'll be decent options off the bench that offer something different to your starting lineup, I guess. Will be interesting to see if Cowley can keep up this high level of recruitment if you're going for another CM, as I can't really think of anyone available. Are there any rumours going round?

With regards to our starting lineup, Harry Clifton played at LWB last night and did alright apparently, I think this is a slot that is definitely up for grabs with Fox getting mixed reviews in that role and Dixon not being particularly in the frame.
Nothing r.e. CM at the minute. I imagine we'll keep with loan signings now and try work that to our advantage i.e. wages.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
As SoC says Clifton is in with a shout of the starting XI, but I think the team is fairly settled atm.

McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Whitmore
Collins
Davis/Famewo
Fox/Clifton

Hessenthaler
Welsh
Rose

Hooper
Vernam/Cook

1 more hold-up striker and cover for fullback and I think we’re ready to go. We had rumoured to be after Ali Koiki from Burnley after he had a trial with us and if he signed, the LWB slot would be wide open for selection.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
As SoC says Clifton is in with a shout of the starting XI, but I think the team is fairly settled atm.

McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Whitmore
Collins
Davis/Famewo
Fox/Clifton

Hessenthaler
Welsh
Rose

Hooper
Vernam/Cook

1 more hold-up striker and cover for fullback and I think we’re ready to go. We had rumoured to be after Ali Koiki from Burnley after he had a trial with us and if he signed, the LWB slot would be wide open for selection.
Have you watched the highlights from last night? Clifton actually played on the right with RHJ on the left who was then subbed off for Dixon. I'm guessing he's trying Clifton out on that side because bringing in Koiki is more realistic than finding a better alternative for the right side?

Last edited:

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Lincoln strongest for me so far, superb experience for this level, slightly suspect fitness wise as mentioned with Freck and MOC but should have enough cover to adapt. I am still slightly concerned about us in central midfield, a lot of young players not yet proven at this level if our first choice two of Elliott Hewitt or David Vaughan are out, but other than that looking good, especially a 'front four' of Dennis, Hemmings, Boldewijn, and Nathan Thomas (or Kellet). Should have goals in us at least.

Mansfield look good on paper too, and Vale will surely do better than last year. I suspect Colchester will have a pretty solid starting XI also, but not seen one posted yet?

Roger Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Squad needs a few more (prob loans) but for me is shaping up quite nicely. Mid-table should be achievable but ultimately staying up is the bottom line. Lots going on off the pitch, relations with WRU landlord currently not the best. Wouldn't rule out a return to Spytty once current agreement with WRU runs out in 2022.

Defence ok and some depth there but need some bite in midfield to replace Labadie. Crofts would appear a good signing but not sure if his legs have gone. Podge and Matt has potential to work. A fully fit Sheehan is like a new signing, too good for L2.

Day
Forbes Franks Demetriou Butler
Crofts
Cooper Sheehan Marsh-Brown
Amond Matt

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I still do not feel confident predicting any sort of starting eleven, it's going to be 3-5-2 considering we have played that in every friendly though.

Best guess anyway,

Conrad Logan

Haydn White
Krystian Pearce
Matt Preston

CJ Hamilton
Alex MacDonald
Neal Bishop
Otis Khan
Mal Benning

Craig Davies
Tyler Walker

Playing left footed CJ at RWB is weird but he's done that for a few friendly's.

Danny Rose has missed the last few games due to injury so he's got no chance of starting the first few games I imagine.

Looking back that line-up seems incredibly attacking minded.

Last edited:

jbet

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Despite getting our business done early, pre season hasn't been straight forward and has led to one or two jumping ahead of players we assumed would start. Ricky Miller hasn't played any friendlies, Manny Oyeleke is injured and we've experimented with Montano as one of three centre backs (I know!). I think we'll setup like this against Cambridge:

Brown

Smith Rawlinson Montano
Gibbons Hannant

Joyce
Worrall Conlan

Dodds
Pope

Bench: Hornby, Legge, Vassell, Quigley, Miller, Daniels, Pugh

Oyeleke to come into the squad once fit and Miller to partner Pope (with either Dodds/Conlon or Hannant being sacrificed) when fit. Question marks over creativity - we need Worrall to show his class this season - but otherwise looks a lot better than last season.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I still do not feel confident predicting any sort of starting eleven, it's going to be 3-5-2 considering we have played that in every friendly though.

Best guess anyway,

Conrad Logan

Haydn White
Krystian Pearce
Matt Preston

CJ Hamilton
Alex MacDonald
Neal Bishop
Otis Khan
Mal Benning

Craig Davies
Tyler Walker

Playing left footed CJ at RWB is weird but he's done that for a few friendly's.

Danny Rose has missed the last few games due to injury so he's got no chance of starting the first few games I imagine.

Looking back that line-up seems incredibly attacking minded.

That looks a very good line up.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers

Day
Forbes Franks Demetriou Butler
Crofts
Cooper Sheehan Marsh-Brown
Amond Matt
I sort of hope you lot get promoted and Charlie Cooper is your star player...if only to **** off the ****holes who follow our team who thought it appropriate to shout abuse at him last season when he was playing for us. Never, ever, ever shout abuse at one of your own players.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Have you watched the highlights from last night? Clifton actually played on the right with RHJ on the left who was then subbed off for Dixon. I'm guessing he's trying Clifton out on that side because bringing in Koiki is more realistic than finding a better alternative for the right side?
Possibly. I only say RHJ on the right because that’s his natural position as currently, both him and Clifton are out of position as such. Should we get Koiki, that would leave us with 2 LBs (Fox and Koiki) and 2 RBs (RHJ and Clifton), plus Dixon. We could both be wrong and we might start the season as we did last night!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Possibly. I only say RHJ on the right because that’s his natural position as currently, both him and Clifton are out of position as such. Should we get Koiki, that would leave us with 2 LBs (Fox and Koiki) and 2 RBs (RHJ and Clifton), plus Dixon. We could both be wrong and we might start the season as we did last night!
Yep wouldn't surprise me either. I wasn't saying you got it wrong about RHJ, I think I said somewhere else that Clifton was on the left as I just assumed he was after seeing them lineup. Switching them up never even occurred to me before seeing the highlights. RHJ took his goal by cutting inside though, so that more or less tells us we'll see on the left again at some point.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Yep wouldn't surprise me either. I wasn't saying you got it wrong about RHJ, I think I said somewhere else that Clifton was on the left as I just assumed he was after seeing them lineup. Switching them up never even occurred to me before seeing the highlights. RHJ took his goal by cutting inside though, so that more or less tells us we'll see on the left again at some point.
Some goal it was too!

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
I think at this stage, the top 3 is looking like 3 from Lincoln, Notts, Mansfield, Swindon, Exeter and a dark horse, a team that everyone has forgotten about, someone like Newport.

I think choosing the contenders for the remaining play off places is proper hard. I think there's probably a dozen or so teams that look distinctly average (relatively) that could be battling if they put a run togeher at some point. The signings in the next week or two will make all the difference. Expect Port Vale to be much improved, and as alluded to, got a feeling Newport will do alright this season, especially if Andrew Crofts can find some consistent form. Their loan striker from Brizzle City, Antoine Semenyo could be one to watch.

The teams destined to struggle (hate to be a sheep) seem, at this stage, to be Macclesfield, Tranmere and Yeovil. None appear to have added any discernible quality and in John Askey, Macc have lost the one thing that made them greater than the sum of their parts last season. Also think one of the relegated teams will inevitably struggle but as I don't know much about their squads, I'd be picking it out of a hat. Think Crewe and Forest Green will struggle too. Crawley worry me too. Losing Boldewijn and Josh Lelan, especially, are big blows. I'm with SoC, think Morecambe will be alright, look to have made a few haf decent-looking signings. James Sinclair is possibly the most intriguing L2 summer signing. Been out the English game for a long time, taking him to some weird and wonderful places. Interested to see how he gets on. They'll still be lower-mid table at best.

As for the mighty GY, I think we'll be better and certainly won't go 20 games without a win. Losing Whitehouse for the season was a shocker. Was looking forward to seeing him as the most advanced in a midfield 3 with Welsh and Hessenthaler. Mitch Rose will have to step up and if he plays like he did in the last half dozen games of last season, he'll be alright. Still feel we're short of a defender/wing back, midfielder and a forward of quality to trouble the top half of the table. Welsh is a key man if he still has the legs and stays injury-free. Goals will need to be spread among the team as we don' have a 20+ goal striker.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It’s nice to see so many fans of League 2 clubs predicting Notts to finish top 3. You lot seem noticeably more confident than the already confident Pies fans, guess that’s human nature.

Not many were predicting top 7 before last season started, let along top 3

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
It’s nice to see so many fans of League 2 clubs predicting Notts to finish top 3. You lot seem noticeably more confident than the already confident Pies fans, guess that’s human nature.

Not many were predicting top 7 before last season started, let along top 3
Your starting 11 speaks for itself. A little better as individuals, I would say, than Lincoln's.

jbet

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
That looks a very good line up.

Just on the forward line for Mansfield - hasn't Craig Davies scored 14 goals in his last 99 starts, and Tyler Walker has only scored ten goals in his entire career so far? I'm not saying that it doesn't have potential, but I'm not certain there's enough firepower there to gain promotion.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Despite getting our business done early, pre season hasn't been straight forward and has led to one or two jumping ahead of players we assumed would start. Ricky Miller hasn't played any friendlies, Manny Oyeleke is injured and we've experimented with Montano as one of three centre backs (I know!). I think we'll setup like this against Cambridge:

Brown

Smith Rawlinson Montano
Gibbons Hannant

Joyce
Worrall Conlan

Dodds
Pope

Bench: Hornby, Legge, Vassell, Quigley, Miller, Daniels, Pugh

Oyeleke to come into the squad once fit and Miller to partner Pope (with either Dodds/Conlon or Hannant being sacrificed) when fit. Question marks over creativity - we need Worrall to show his class this season - but otherwise looks a lot better than last season.

Ideally I would like to see:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Rawlinson (or Howkins if signs) Montano

Worrall Joyce Oyeleke Hannant

Pope Miller

That is a simple 4-4-2 with our best XI in its best position, can always manipulate into Dodds behind Pope away from home to give us more solidness.

jbet

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Ideally I would like to see:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Rawlinson (or Howkins if signs) Montano

Worrall Joyce Oyeleke Hannant

Pope Miller

That is a simple 4-4-2 with our best XI in its best position, can always manipulate into Dodds behind Pope away from home to give us more solidness.

That would also be my preference but it doesn't look like we'll be going 4-4-2.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
That would also be my preference but it doesn't look like we'll be going 4-4-2.

No its my main concern at the minute to be honest.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Dunno, tough to say. Probably something like-

Sanchez

Shepherd Rawson/Collins Hollis/Gunning Mills

James Brown

Winchester Grubb

Reid

Doidge

Hardest area to judge is which 2 or 3 CB's Cooper will go with. All pretty evenly matched.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!