PL shit that doesn't need it's own thread.

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
smh some people trying to defend Balotelli cuz Liverpool hurt them once...

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Balo is content with his millz & I can't say I blame him, 'ballin for life.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren

Not sure in what context Liverpool have ever hurt me, but anyway, the media hatred of him certainly pre-dates him ever signing for the club,

Which makes the transfer all the more bizarre, why bring a guy into the firing line when according to the Sports Media, and many fans here, he's effectively the devil incarnate? He never stood a chance from the beginning.

Also a bit ironic that whilst Balotelli may be a bit daft and foolish, he gets far more abuse than the plethora of overtly violent players who get off lightly for attacking women / random people on the street.

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Media hatred? Media loves his antics. He almost has a cult following. The "abuse" he gets is something that every popular footballer gets. Certainly no more than likes of Rooney (who even gets "abused" by england fans).

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool are famous for having shit players, it's just funny how the propaganda machine becomes abusive towards those that have done nothing more than play poorly. It's particularly funny coming from Carragher.

Putting aside your increasing desperation to comment on anything anti-Liverpool (and to like anything by other members that falls into the same category), I'm curious why you think it's particularly funny coming from Carragher. Are you claiming he was a shit player himself?

As for Balotelli, he was and is a mediocre player who we should never have bought.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
Media hatred? Media loves his antics. He almost has a cult following. The "abuse" he gets is something that every popular footballer gets. Certainly no more than likes of Rooney (who even gets "abused" by england fans).

What media are you referring to? The one that viciously attacks him at every possible opportunity? The one that blamed him for his friends setting off fireworks in his house?

The knives have been out for him for years, long before he joined Liverpool.

Balotelli is the polar opposite of a "popular footballer", and to be fair, so is Rooney. I'm sure both get plenty of abuse, for very different reasons. Balotelli got far more abuse from Liverpool fans that equally ineffectual players like Lambert, Ings and, if we're going back far enough, Vornonin. He got it because of who he was, rather than how he played.

Putting aside your increasing desperation to comment on anything anti-Liverpool (and to like anything by other members that falls into the same category), I'm curious why you think it's particularly funny coming from Carragher. Are you claiming he was a shit player himself?

As for Balotelli, he was and is a mediocre player who we should never have bought.

I'm not anti Liverpool - not even a little to be honest. It's a club that certainly over estimates its own importance (expecting to sign Gotze and getting Wijnaldum being the latest example) and whose fans are always over-represented on these forums, but I'm no more anti or pro Liverpool than any other English football team. You can choose to believe this, or not.

I certainly don't recall "liking" anything, can only assume that was an isolated mistake.

And yes, in context, Carragher was a pretty talentless player - certainly compared to those around him. Look at other Liverpool defenders of his era, he was far below the likes of Sami Hyypia. He was the kind of player that, had he started at someone like Newcastle or Everton, would certainly not have moved up. Bit of a relic, with the money that's going around, there will be few players like him,with his level of ability, making as many appearances for a club like Liverpool.

His relatively few caps, and utility man status, reflect this. Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ledley King were all quite a bit better at centre back. Having fewer caps than Jagielka, and Cahill, is to be fair, a bit harsh - he is a similar standard of player to those two.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
I suggest you take another look at who I quoted.

But to pick up on your comments on Carragher, I'd suggest you're being unfair on his ability. Whilst he wasn't in the same category as players like Ferdinand and even Terry in their prime, he was far better than being "pretty talentless". You don't play the amount of games he played for a club like Liverpool whilst not having top class ability, nor win what he did with them. Also, since when has international caps been a categorical indication of talent?

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes

He was as average as it gets. He had a good season once, he's putting Mario down as if he was a better player. He wasn't.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
The 5 top paid managers in the game have been revealed. No guesses as to who's in 4th :bg1:

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
He was as average as it gets. He had a good season once, he's putting Mario down as if he was a better player. He wasn't.

Righto. Cheers for confirming what I already suspected.

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Wonderful logic that didn't apply when u lot abused a classy manager like Van Gaal.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Righto. Cheers for confirming what I already suspected.

Which is what? Anybody saying negative about Liverpool must be on the wind up? Carragher was average.
Wonderful logic that didn't apply when u lot abused a classy manager like Van Gaal.

If anyone with some clout in the game made fun of van Gaal then they're equally classless.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
I'm not suggesting you're on a wind up. I believe you mean it.

Skinner

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Palace
Carragher was far from average. Less technically able? Yes. But was a very fine defender, one that we wish we could possess in this current generation.

Last edited:

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Balotelli got far more abuse from Liverpool fans that equally ineffectual players like Lambert, Ings

Nothing wrong with Ings. I have to say I was annoyed when we signed him as I thought of so many other shit average English PL players Liverpool have signed in the past, but when he is fit, he's a capable forward who harasses and knows where the back of the net is. Just a shame that injury has stalled his career there, though he's back now.

I'd rather have one Ings than 11 Balotelli's any time.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
I suggest you take another look at who I quoted.

But to pick up on your comments on Carragher, I'd suggest you're being unfair on his ability. Whilst he wasn't in the same category as players like Ferdinand and even Terry in their prime, he was far better than being "pretty talentless". You don't play the amount of games he played for a club like Liverpool whilst not having top class ability, nor win what he did with them. Also, since when has international caps been a categorical indication of talent?

Fair enough.

And I did, in context. He was a Premier League defender, clearly, but one good enough for a side challenging for the league? No.

As I said, I don't think players like Carragher will make it at clubs to Liverpool, to the extent he has, ever again. It's far more likely they will be Jon Flannagan or Andre Wisdom esque fringe players.

Not that this is unique, or even solely, applicable to Carragher. Even fairly recently players like Dominic Matteo and Neil Ruddock had over 100 Liverpool appearances - I can't see that happening again.

It's not a flawless categorisation of talent, but there's quite clearly a reason why Carragher was never a regular in any England side And when he did play him and Terry were bullied by Jozy Altidore in the World Cup.

Well, they were completely different players in different positions. In terms of technical talent, physical talent, yeah there is a clear winner. But Carragher achieved a lot despite not being very good, which is commendable, even if he personally is someone you'd cross the street to avoid.

Carragher was far from average. Less technically able? Yes. But was a very fine defender, one that we wish we could possess in this current generation.

Really? Compared to whom? Maldini? Baresi? Zanetti?

Carragher is a fine defender compared to Joleon Lescott and Matt Upson maybe, but he'd be no more than average Premier League defender if he was at Liverpool now.

Nothing wrong with Ings. I have to say I was annoyed when we signed him as I thought of so many other shit average English PL players Liverpool have signed in the past, but when he is fit, he's a capable forward who harasses and knows where the back of the net is. Just a shame that injury has stalled his career there, though he's back now.

I'd rather have one Ings than 11 Balotelli's any time.

Just a pity he hasn't achieved anything in a Liverpool shirt and is below Origi who was recently in the worst Ligue 1 team of the season.

I'd be utterly shocked if he turns out to be anything other than a complete flop.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Carragher, along with Gerrard and Hyypia, was the backbone of a Liverpool team that won pretty much everything there is for an English top flight domestic team to win bar the league title. To call him average is ridiculous in my view.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
Carragher was also clearly good enough for a side challenging for the league, as he did on more than one occasion. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth were the first choice defensive pairing of the reigning league champions ffs. With the 'science' that goes into the teams having got even better since Carragher was at his peak it'd be daft to say he was average or wouldn't be able to.

Balotelli got far more abuse from Liverpool fans that equally ineffectual players like Lambert, Ings and, if we're going back far enough, Vornonin. He got it because of who he was, rather than how he played.

Danny Ings scored 2 league goals in 5 league appearances at the start of last season before a serious knee injury. Mario Balotelli has scored 2 league goals in his last 36 league appearances over 2 seasons for 2 different teams in 2 different countries. Rickie Lambert was a £4m past it 3rd choice fridge who was intended to be back-up by the point he signed for us and was still better for the same Liverpool side. Voronin was a free transfer back-up who was hilariously bad, but his signing was hardly as important and he is unanimously regarded as utter shite. He also scored 5 times as many league goals for Liverpool than Balotelli managed.

Mario Balotelli took a lot of abuse for us because he was fucking woeful, and him replacing Luis Suarez is one of the worst transfer moves Liverpool have ever made. This is a club who in the past 7 years alone have replaced Fernando Torres with Andy Carroll and Xabi Alonso with Alberto Aquilani. The criticism he received was more than just. If it were any other 26 year old international striker who cost £16m, managed 2 league goals in 2 years and the standard of general play he has displayed I'd doubt you'd be giving them this defence.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Carragher, along with Gerrard and Hyypia, was the backbone of a Liverpool team that won pretty much everything there is for an English top flight domestic team to win bar the league title. To call him average is ridiculous in my view.

I wouldn't say "backbone". He was very much a fringe player before Benitez arrived. He excelled for a couple of years and had good leadership aspects, but he wasn't anything special as a defender. John O'Shea material.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
I wouldn't say "backbone". He was very much a fringe player before Benitez arrived. He excelled for a couple of years and had good leadership aspects, but he wasn't anything special as a defender. John O'Shea material.

Between 98/99 and 09/10 he only made fewer than 34 league appearances once, the season where Lucas Neill broke his ankle. That's hardly a fringe player before Benitez's arrival in 04.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Carragher was also clearly good enough for a side challenging for the league, as he did on more than one occasion. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth were the first choice defensive pairing of the reigning league champions ffs. With the 'science' that goes into the teams having got even better since Carragher was at his peak it'd be daft to say he was average or wouldn't be able to.

Danny Ings scored 2 league goals in 5 league appearances at the start of last season before a serious knee injury. Mario Balotelli has scored 2 league goals in his last 36 league appearances over 2 seasons for 2 different teams in 2 different countries. Rickie Lambert was a £4m past it 3rd choice fridge who was intended to be back-up by the point he signed for us and was still better for the same Liverpool side. Voronin was a free transfer back-up who was hilariously bad, but his signing was hardly as important and he is unanimously regarded as utter shite. He also scored 5 times as many league goals for Liverpool than Balotelli managed.

Mario Balotelli took a lot of abuse for us because he was fucking woeful, and him replacing Luis Suarez is one of the worst transfer moves Liverpool have ever made. This is a club who in the past 7 years alone have replaced Fernando Torres with Andy Carroll and Xabi Alonso with Alberto Aquilani. The criticism he received was more than just. If it were any other 26 year old international striker who cost £16m, managed 2 league goals in 2 years and the standard of general play he has displayed I'd doubt you'd be giving them this defence.

I don't think anyone has a problem with fans giving him stick and rating his time, but when a fellow professional singles out another to embarrass them, when their only crime is playing poorly, I think it's really cheap.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Between 98/99 and 09/10 he only made fewer than 34 league appearances once, the season where Lucas Neill broke his ankle. That's hardly a fringe player before Benitez's arrival in 04.

Fair enough. But he was a utility man wasn't he? And how many were sub appearances?

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
I don't think anyone has a problem with fans giving him stick and rating his time, but when a fellow professional singles out another to embarrass them, when their only crime is playing poorly, I think it's really cheap.

I'm not so much questioning that (I guess it's where the line between being fans & ex/pros etc. may blur a little, but that's a fair point - I have some issues with Carragher myself tbh), but the quote I directly replied to from St Miranda there expressly mentioned Liverpool fans.

Fair enough. But he was a utility man wasn't he? And how many were sub appearances?

According to http://www.lfchistory.net/players/player/profile/277 702 of his 737 club appearances for Liverpool were starts. Houllier loved him, he was versatile but whichever role he played him in Houllier made him first choice.

Please stop.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
I'm not so much questioning that (I guess it's where the line between being fans & ex/pros etc. may blur a little, but that's a fair point - I have some issues with Carragher myself tbh), but the quote I directly replied to from St Miranda there expressly mentioned Liverpool fans.

According to http://www.lfchistory.net/players/player/profile/277 702 of his 737 club appearances for Liverpool were starts. Houllier loved him, he was versatile but whichever role he played him in Houllier made him first choice.

Please stop.

I must have remembered a season where he was out of favour and put too much stock in its memory. I still maintain he was an average player that Liverpool could and should have done better than. If they'd sold him he'd have gone to the likes of Sunderland like Brown and O'Shea, moving to their level rather than sideways or upwards.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Comparing Carragher to Wes Brown and John O'Shea. Why stop there? Stick Quintin Fortune on the list too.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports

I strongly suspect he's asking you to stop talking shit basically, and appearing to almost deliberately go out of your way to be the stereotypical Liverpool fan everyone dislikes.

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
I strongly suspect he's asking you to stop talking shit basically, and appearing to almost deliberately go out of your way to be the stereotypical Liverpool fan everyone dislikes.
FYI i am not the one who thinks Jon Flanagan is the RED CAFU..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!