Marcus Bignot

DontBringBertie

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
How is it a poisoned chalice when we have just lost one of the longest serving managers in English football by moving up rather than being sacked? Most other clubs sack managers every season.

Expectations are now lower than they were in the conference too, so the fans have calmed down, its amazing the board stuck with Hurst so long, but credit to them for doing that.

Sure if he send the club backwards then he won't last long but that's the same at any club.

The all important question - is Paul Hurst really 5'3?!

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
At this point I'll be surprised if Bignot isn't our manager by this time next week. None of the other realistic targets / interviewees are very inspiring. We won't get the Cowleys and while I do think we could tempt Adkins, I think the success Hurst has brought us will entice us to go like for like, someone on their way up rather than down. I did initially want Adkins but I would be very happy with Bignot.

Having said that we did once boil it down to two options; one being a manager who previously gave us our best season in years against the other who was our youth coach without a single win in his caretaker reign. The rest is history..

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Is Bignot ready to drink from the POISONED CHALICE?

Solihull Mooron

Reaction score
Supports
Solihull Moors
Can't Grimsby at least let us have Bignot for our FA cup game at Yeovil. Arguably the biggest game in our history and it shows how far he has taken us as a club. As for our national league season, I can see things going very badly...

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Rumours from the press is that he has been offered the job, but will remain in charge for your FA cup game

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
You didn't win first prize in getting the Cowleys to BP then? Maybe the Grimsby Telegraph were wrong all along, who'd have thought it!

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
You didn't win first prize in getting the Cowleys to BP then? Maybe the Grimsby Telegraph were wrong all along, who'd have thought it!
There was nothing wrong with their story. Not once did they claim Cowley had been interviewed or even had an interest in the job.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
A very Non-League appointment by Grimsby.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

You will have to point us to the info on where the Cowleys had been wanted by Grimsby, or where Lincoln had been approached by Grimsby on where the Cowleys had been interviewed by Grimsby before you can say they were ever first prize.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Bignot comes across as a nice guy, very humble. Good appointment for Grimsby but I'd be wary if I was him..the way the fans treated Hurst was disgraceful. They were calling for his head all season right up until the away leg at Braintree. It's no wonder he's taken the first job that came his way and a sideways step to Shrewsbury.

Bignot deserves fans that will back him and be patient while he builds something and i'm afraid patience and general decency are not things you'll find in abundance at blundell park on a saturday afternoon.

But good luck to him in his leap into full time management.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Bignot comes across as a nice guy, very humble. Good appointment for Grimsby but I'd be wary if I was him..the way the fans treated Hurst was disgraceful. They were calling for his head all season right up until the away leg at Braintree. It's no wonder he's taken the first job that came his way and a sideways step to Shrewsbury.

Bignot deserves fans that will back him and be patient while he builds something and i'm afraid patience and general decency are not things you'll find in abundance at blundell park on a saturday afternoon.

But good luck to him in his leap into full time management.
Welcome!

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Hurst got you in the playoffs 4 years on the trot and received endless stick from large sections of your support not a minority. What would you call that?

Struck me as if your fans thought you had a divine right to be running away with the league and anything less was unacceptable and you'd make sure the manager knew about it, even if that was detrimental to the team. Many eating humble pie in May which was amusing.

You can gloss it up all you want but Hurst couldn't wait to get out of there. He got you out of this god forsaken league and he did it with his own fans against him as well as everyone else which is very applaudable. Just saying I hope Bignot doesn't suffer the same treatment

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Hurst got you in the playoffs 4 years on the trot and received endless stick from large sections of your support not a minority. What would you call that?

Struck me as if your fans thought you had a divine right to be running away with the league and anything less was unacceptable and you'd make sure the manager knew about it, even if that was detrimental to the team. Many eating humble pie in May which was amusing.

You can gloss it up all you want but Hurst couldn't wait to get out of there. He got you out of this god forsaken league and he did it with his own fans against him as well as everyone else which is very applaudable. Just saying I hope Bignot doesn't suffer the same treatment
You're exaggerating just how much negativity Hurst got. He had the (substantially large) majority of fans on his side. Endless stick, from the majority? Again, give over. Like I said in my last post, read the thread I linked as we went over this just a few days ago.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
One thing Fenty does seem to give is time, so it could work out to be a decent appointment in the end.

Doesn't strike me as a particularly solid appointment, though. Not sure why, maybe just because you don't really here about him. Most of his work has been done lower than National League level and over a long period of time, although I stand to be corrected on that point.

Cowleys were a no-go anyway. Grimsby knew that and were probably using them as a smokescreen because a) it'd get some of our fans on edge and b) on the off chance they'd nibble. We used the smokescreen thing with Heath in the summer.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I pretty much always agree with SoC, but not on this occasion.

Every season since he's been here, there's always been a Hurst Out moment, obviously always in times of bad form. The atmosphere after the Braintree home leg was toxic and it probably would've been time for him to go.

Anyone saying he has underachieved in his time here is being unbelievable harsh imo. It's almost unheard of at any level that the same manager can keep a team consistently in a high position (except maybe Wenger and we all know the division of opinion about him!). Someone on our forum showed that his record with us was P182 W90 D46 L46, yet people still said he was too defensive.

I guess the last two issues were that he never knew how to properly set up at home; not sure whether a better atmosphere at away games is a coincidence or not but Blundell Park is a library most of the time, especially in the home section.

Finally, anyone who actually got offended by any of Hurst's comments needs to take a look at themselves.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
I do think it was always the minority, it's just you always hear them the most. I think most of us were fed up with blowing it at the last minute and last season looked like it was going to be more of the same, we looked very unconvincing going into the play-offs. I personally know a lot of people that still rated Hurst very highly at that point and would only sing his praises. I was always up and down, I wanted him to take us up as I believed he would be a success in League 2 but winning the conference like most of us wanted was a stretch too far for him. He's a top 5 sort of guy.

Bignot will get time as long as we're not in any sort of relegation scrap anytime soon. I can see him being allowed 5 or 6 seasons being mid-table fodder if it's for a greater good. I'm sure after being in the conference a lot of our fans will be happy with that too, but we have always had a minority who are never happy with anything and those are the ones that are always the loudest.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Exactly Haddock, very rare that you can keep your side at the top end of the table year on year, comfortably as well. It's only because of the one paltry automatic position that makes this achievement unimpressive to some because there was usually a runaway leader ala fleetwood, crawley so you were never really in touch.

After the braintree home leg it was as if some of your support wanted you to lose the away leg so Hurst would go. Very bizarre relationship between manager and fans but there you are, he obviously divided opinion right up until he left.

Everyone's behind the cowleys at Lincoln and after 5 bottom half finishes in a row they'll be seen as Gods for merely making the playoffs this season. Maybe Bignot is the right guy to bring everyone at blundell park together, certainly seems the type, but the fans will have a big part to play in that

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I pretty much always agree with SoC, but not on this occasion.

Every season since he's been here, there's always been a Hurst Out moment, obviously always in times of bad form. The atmosphere after the Braintree home leg was toxic and it probably would've been time for him to go.

Anyone saying he has underachieved in his time here is being unbelievable harsh imo. It's almost unheard of at any level that the same manager can keep a team consistently in a high position (except maybe Wenger and we all know the division of opinion about him!). Someone on our forum showed that his record with us was P182 W90 D46 L46, yet people still said he was too defensive.

I guess the last two issues were that he never knew how to properly set up at home; not sure whether a better atmosphere at away games is a coincidence or not but Blundell Park is a library most of the time, especially in the home section.

Finally, anyone who actually got offended by any of Hurst's comments needs to take a look at themselves.
I'm not denying there weren't times during Hurst's tenure in which he faced opposition from the fans, however to say it was continuously coming from most Town fans is ridiculous. The reaction after the Braintree match was a knee-jerk response to a poor result, you can counter that with numerous examples of excellent support during Hurst's time as manager. With regards to the 50% win record, yeah decent. But expected. With the squads he had, he should have been winning 23 league games a season and getting top 5 spots. He has neither underachieved nor overachieved, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, as I said previously I'm hugely grateful for everything he's done. However, the way he failed to endear himself to the fans causes him to fall short of any kind of legend status. Which is what someone who takes you back up to the league after 6 seasons in the wilderness should attain.

Exactly Haddock, very rare that you can keep your side at the top end of the table year on year, comfortably as well. It's only because of the one paltry automatic position that makes this achievement unimpressive to some because there was usually a runaway leader ala fleetwood, crawley so you were never really in touch.

After the braintree home leg it was as if some of your support wanted you to lose the away leg so Hurst would go. Very bizarre relationship between manager and fans but there you are, he obviously divided opinion right up until he left.

Everyone's behind the cowleys at Lincoln and after 5 bottom half finishes in a row they'll be seen as Gods for merely making the playoffs this season. Maybe Bignot is the right guy to bring everyone at blundell park together, certainly seems the type, but the fans will have a big part to play in that
If Grimsby fans are the terribly fickle, hard to please, whinging beasts that we're often made out to be then you lot are the polar opposite. Placid bystanders who just shrug their shoulders and accept their fate "because that's Lincoln". Honestly, I don't really remember Lincoln fans ever even getting close to vehemently opposing any kind of authority related to the club. This is great when you get the likes of the Cowleys in, but not so great when you're plodding along with Holdsworth or Moyses in charge. Also, not sure that I necessarily agree with this notion that everyone needs bringing together at Blundell Park. Of course, all clubs can benefit from increased levels of unity and harmony across all fronts. However, with regards to this we are in far better shape than we were before Paul Hurst came in and we're in a stronger position than we have been in for at least a decade. And yes, the fans play a big part in this but the relationship between fans and manager is a two way street.

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
If Grimsby fans are the terribly fickle, hard to please, whinging beasts that we're often made out to be then you lot are the polar opposite. Placid bystanders who just shrug their shoulders and accept their fate "because that's Lincoln". Honestly, I don't really remember Lincoln fans ever even getting close to vehemently opposing any kind of authority related to the club. This is great when you get the likes of the Cowleys in, but not so great when you're plodding along with Holdsworth or Moyses in charge. Also, not sure that I necessarily agree with this notion that everyone needs bringing together at Blundell Park. Of course, all clubs can benefit from increased levels of unity and harmony across all fronts. However, with regards to this we are in far better shape than we were before Paul Hurst came in and we're in a stronger position than we have been in for at least a decade. And yes, the fans play a big part in this but the relationship between fans and manager is a two way street.

Apart from ex chairman Gilbert Blades receiving death threats of course.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Some of the criticism Hurst got was certainly warranted. Irrespective of budgets, Grimsby should have been challenging for the title but it's in Hurst's nature to take a conservative approach. You pretty much knew at the start of every season Grimsby would finish in the Play-Offs, which Hurst obviously deserves credit for, but he wasn't the man to take that next step and properly challenge for the title. I've always said he's far better suited to a side with low expectations as he'll get the best out of his players, whereas he often struggled with the pressure at Grimsby.

Hurst's contempt for the fans obviously didn't help either. His comments after the Play-Off final win were staggering.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Not quite right.

There was a sense of acceptance under Holdsworth because we had to severely cut the budget mid-season and then had a lower mid-table budget, which is where we ended up. When Moyses was appointed, there was uproar. Maybe not across here but across social media, forums and comments on paper websites.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Not quite right.

There was a sense of acceptance under Holdsworth because we had to severely cut the budget mid-season and then had a lower mid-table budget, which is where we ended up. When Moyses was appointed, there was uproar. Maybe not across here but across social media, forums and comments on paper websites.
Yeah, that's why I said if Grimsby are xxxxxx, then Lincoln are xxxxxx. Was merely attempting to highlight the sensationalist rhetoric being thrown around here. Fair enough though, I don't really remember Moyses appointment happening.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Reading Fenty's comments it sounds like Bignot would also have fitted in well at FGR: :lol:

Screenshot_2016-11-07-11-04-42-1.png

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
A shame for Bignot that he couldn't manage the end of their cup run, but a good move for him even if slightly imperfect timing.

It's only as much of a gamble as any managerial appointment is IMO. Anyone with league experience in management has failed somewhere else in order to be available, and therefore has baggage from that.

I'm not sure on his playing style, but the upturn in crowds at Solihull would imply that it's entertaining!

Given all the sides that will turn over managers through the season in League 2, Grimsby is probably one of the best opportunities for a manager coming in from lower down.

Re-reading the thread - I'm surprised any Grimsby fans would be happy with Westley. He might deliver some success, but he plays horrid football and is surrounded by controversy. To non-league fans at least he is more synonymous with the word "allegedly" than Steve Evans...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!