Tuesday 24th October Fixtures

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
Agreed with the thoughts on the Orient game. I thought Burge could have done better with the first as the ball seemed to go fairly slowly in at the near post. Second half we get a slice of luck with the deflection with the pen then looking a clear decision.

Bowie getting sent off is a huge blow not just in terms of result yesterday but the games he will miss. Tyreece Simpson has been dreadful since he came to us and is out only other fit option at top at the moment so we will miss Bowie whilst he is suspended.

Thought we defended our box well but Orient deserved the point for sure, missed some sitters, had a goal disallowed (not sure why) and Burge then made some big saves. Jordan Graham looked extremely dangerous throughout, no surprise the goal came through him.

All in all it was an entertaining game, we needed those 3 points desperately though.

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
You're going back down to L2 I'm afraid.

Its a definite possibility for both of our clubs, cant see a situation where we both stay up, think it has to be one or the other.

The thing is even if you get a new owner, are you going to be able to obtain the striker that 90% of the league is looking for? Carlisle is not exactly geographically convenient and even if you can pay increased wages, there are too many bigger clubs for you to blow anyone out the water. The benefit we have is that we already have a player (who just signed a new deal) who can score goals at this level.

We have not lost a game this season by more than 1 goal, not that it counts for any points. But I hope with a few of our better players returning to fitness we can just about pick up enough points to survive. As it stands I think we will finish around 18th.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Wtf, I never said we are the Kings of L1 but come to think of it, there is no team here so far that has beaten us by turning us over. Most of the games we've lost so far have been thanks to silly little individual errors like from that shit loan keeper we have and Mellish. Top teams like Bolton and Portsmouth are nothing special from what we've seen and we easily ended Burtons good run playing them off the park.

This league isn't as tough as we have been made to believe it is and if we can get our hands on one or two quality strikers for this level and a better goalkeeper in January then we'll stay up no problem.

It's actually you who needs to keep your mouth shut always saying we're shit and going down even after a good win. :rolleyes:
But we are one of the four worst teams in the league based on our first 15 games. That’s based on fact, not opinion. So it’s a bit rich going all billy big bollocks on your high horse saying other teams that are currently better than us are going down.

Yes we might stay up if we improve our squad, sign a proven quality striker (easier said than done), learn how to keep a clean sheet, sign some wide players… etc etc etc. But we have to do all these things first. And who is to say new owners are going to splash the cash? I’d guess they are probably not going to splash as much as you think.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Justly beaten by Bolton last night, we just didn't turn up in the first half and our goalie made a (thankfully rare) horrific comedy blunder for the first BWFC goal.

But they were just waltzing through our midfield at will, and attacking with pace and purpose, which is far more than can be said for us.

Thankfully we must have had a half time rocket, and that and a combination of BWFC being seemingly happy to sit back in the second half, and do a lot of pissing about with slow passing out from the back, let us back into the game, and we pegged it back to 2-2.

Then we threw it all away again, conceding a free header from a corner (basics) and slowcoach Richard Keogh being skinned and giving away a penalty to make it 4-2 to Bolton.

A very rollercoaster game then, but some horrendous defending on our part, and underlining that we're far from the finished product when it comes from being able to compete with the top sides.

AmberAndy

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Very happy with our level of performance last night, richly deserved point against the league leaders. We pretty much nullified Pompey with a high energetic press restricting them to one deflected shot that looped over the keeper and hit the post, and some long range no hoper shots. It did come at the price of restricting our forward play, and in truth we rarely looked a threat until the last 10 when Pompey visibly tired. Not a classic, but one of those games that held the attention from first whistle till last. Decent ref who let a bit go, but was consistent and wasn’t fooled by some elaborate Pompey falls in our box.
Hope their injuries don’t derail the promotion push, as Pompey look a decent side on the whole, and their great fans deserve a better season.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Wigan played us well last night. Poor from us though, lots of ball but little created.

Lang scored a good free kick.

HutchECFC

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
In our last 4 league games, (Derby, Wigan, Barnsley & Charlton) we've had 56 shots, 6 on target, 1 goal.

Least we know where the fucking problem is. Not replacing Nombe when he went Rotherham has royally fucked us over.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
But we are one of the four worst teams in the league based on our first 15 games. That’s based on fact, not opinion. So it’s a bit rich going all billy big bollocks on your high horse saying other teams that are currently better than us are going down.

Yes we might stay up if we improve our squad, sign a proven quality striker (easier said than done), learn how to keep a clean sheet, sign some wide players… etc etc etc. But we have to do all these things first. And who is to say new owners are going to splash the cash? I’d guess they are probably not going to splash as much as you think.

Well my opinion is better than yours and last season proved it. Ever since I came on this forum in 2015 you have said we'll get relegated every season and still no relegations.

Yet I always said we'd have a chance of promotion and last season we got promoted..

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Surely Barton under pressure? We haven't scored in 5 games and are still above them.
For sure he is, in general the results in 2023 have been well under par. Many gasheads want him out but id still say they are the minority, but that group is gathering new members with every bad result.
Last night was rubbish, I dont know why opposition teams set themselves us so defensively against us as we are far too easy to score against
We have lots of injuries but then so do most teams at this point of the season.
Not good enough, he has been well backed but we seem to be getting worse not better. Our new owners cant be impressed although they have been quiet so far.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Got to say that I’m just baffled with the way we start each half every game. I don’t know if it’s the slow tempo we tend to play at meaning we take a while to warm up and grow into games but it happened last night in both halves. Don’t recall us touching the ball in the first 10 minutes other than to deflect it off for a corner; Northampton were absolutely rampant.

Then all of a sudden we click into gear out of nowhere and score a delightful goal after keeping possession for well over a minute. Sure the finish/goalkeeping wasn’t great, but the build up was immaculate. Very comfortable for the rest of the half with infrequent but clear-cut chances to extend the lead but as per usual aren’t ruthless enough.

Then another frankly insanely poor start to the second half. I know Galbraith makes a poor mistake but our lack of athleticism without Archibald on the pitch leaves us wide open to a counter attack from our own corner and Hoskins does very well and then benefits from an outrageous deflection. We lose our heads, give away a stonewall penalty and suddenly the Cobblers fans have woken up from their slumber and we’re staring down the barrel in a game that we’ve been controlling for the past half hour. I don’t think we get back into it without the red card (didn’t see the incident).

Northampton were unbelievably good last season at our place when down to 10 men and they did the same here. Superb shape, discipline and defending the 18 yard box. Caused us problems on the counter as well. Thought after some big saves from Burge, Pig’s disallowed strike and Sotiriou’s dismal open goal miss that we’d screwed the pooch, but we definitely more than deserved the last gasp equaliser.

Think Northampton will stay up if they keep Hoskins fit. They’re really good at the back and Sam will nick enough close games for them. We need to sort out our finishing and how we start games if we have any ambition to finish above halfway in what is shaping up to be quite a poor division overall.

Last edited:

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
For sure he is, in general the results in 2023 have been well under par. Many gasheads want him out but id still say they are the minority, but that group is gathering new members with every bad result.
Last night was rubbish, I dont know why opposition teams set themselves us so defensively against us as we are far too easy to score against
We have lots of injuries but then so do most teams at this point of the season.
Not good enough, he has been well backed but we seem to be getting worse not better. Our new owners cant be impressed although they have been quiet so far.
There's a not so silent minority who are starting to call for Crosby out and that's with a far inferior budget to yourselves, so I can imagine that the calls will get louder if things don't improve.

I like Bristol Rovers as a club. Good city and good fans....I think I mentioned before that up to now, results have papered over Barton's unsavoury side, but once those start to slide, fans won't be so forgiving.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
There's a not so silent minority who are starting to call for Crosby out and that's with a far inferior budget to yourselves, so I can imagine that the calls will get louder if things don't improve.

I like Bristol Rovers as a club. Good city and good fans....I think I mentioned before that up to now, results have papered over Barton's unsavoury side, but once those start to slide, fans won't be so forgiving.
Its a big week for Croby really, Cheltenham at home is must win and then a League Cup 4th Round and FA Cup 3rd Round game and he needs to come out of them with 3 points and a win in one of the cups really or the season is heading into a struggle.

If we win the next two we will be in the QF for the first time ever likely against a giant (or Exeter knowing our luck) and head into a spell on a bounce but lose Saturday and nerves will be jangling.

Oddly this is likely the last Saturday league home game until December 16th assuming International call ups happen as they have been for us! and we likely play once in the next 4 weeks so need something to take into them.

We are not playing bad mind we just need a goal, especially in spells when we are battering teams like the last 30 last night, second half v Bolton, first half v Pompey... its pointless talking about "should of been 2 or 3-0 up if we are not taking chances!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Its a big week for Croby really, Cheltenham at home is must win and then a League Cup 4th Round and FA Cup 3rd Round game and he needs to come out of them with 3 points and a win in one of the cups really or the season is heading into a struggle.

If we win the next two we will be in the QF for the first time ever likely against a giant (or Exeter knowing our luck) and head into a spell on a bounce but lose Saturday and nerves will be jangling.

Oddly this is likely the last Saturday league home game until December 16th assuming International call ups happen as they have been for us! and we likely play once in the next 4 weeks so need something to take into them.

We are not playing bad mind we just need a goal, especially in spells when we are battering teams like the last 30 last night, second half v Bolton, first half v Pompey... its pointless talking about "should of been 2 or 3-0 up if we are not taking chances!
Yep. Every week we get opposition fans saying that we could be a top 6 side with a goalscorer. I actually think we're playing a lot better than results suggest. Unfortunately, the aim of the game is to score goals and we're not doing that.

Once we click, I think we'll be alright but the enthusiasm has certainly waned a bit.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yep. Every week we get opposition fans saying that we could be a top 6 side with a goalscorer. I actually think we're playing a lot better than results suggest. Unfortunately, the aim of the game is to score goals and we're not doing that.

Once we click, I think we'll be alright but the enthusiasm has certainly waned a bit.
I think for Crosby the performances keep him out of hot water and in fairness in the 7 game winless run we've played Bolton, Peterborough and Burton at home, had chances to win them all and Burton is the only real disappointing result in terms of where the other two are.

Drew at Cambridge who were doing well and Stevenage who are up there and lost at Portsmouth who are flying and Bristol Rovers with 10 men for much of it so its been a real tough run on paper and we've fell just the wrong side on most of those games.

We just need Uche and Loft to get match fit and that should help massively.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Well my opinion is better than yours and last season proved it. Ever since I came on this forum in 2015 you have said we'll get relegated every season and still no relegations.

Yet I always said we'd have a chance of promotion and last season we got promoted..
I predicted at the start of the season we’d stay up.

But again I’ll say… for the first third of the season we have been one of the four worst teams in the league. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact you nitwit.

You’re talking as if last nights win has secured our league 1 survival and are now picking teams that are going down instead of us. It’s pure lunacy. We have to improve on the pitch first.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I predicted at the start of the season we’d stay up.

But again I’ll say… for the first third of the season we have been one of the four worst teams in the league. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact you nitwit.

You’re talking as if last nights win has secured our league 1 survival and are now picking teams that are going down instead of us. It’s pure lunacy. We have to improve on the pitch first.

Oh just fuck off you boring c*nt

Err we just did improve on the pitch and have done for the last few matches apart the Orient game.

We are 13th in the current L1 form table from the last 4 matches. So chin up.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Its a definite possibility for both of our clubs, cant see a situation where we both stay up, think it has to be one or the other.

The thing is even if you get a new owner, are you going to be able to obtain the striker that 90% of the league is looking for? Carlisle is not exactly geographically convenient and even if you can pay increased wages, there are too many bigger clubs for you to blow anyone out the water. The benefit we have is that we already have a player (who just signed a new deal) who can score goals at this level.

We have not lost a game this season by more than 1 goal, not that it counts for any points. But I hope with a few of our better players returning to fitness we can just about pick up enough points to survive. As it stands I think we will finish around 18th.
It's a good place to be though, we were similar last season and those fine margin games over a season will see you safe.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Worrying that as poor a Peterborough side as I can remember beat us without us really laying a glove on their goal.

This 'not going for it' in the first half of games needs to stop. We're a goal down before we wake up. Our midfield is class but is not being helped by those in front or behind.

Ref utter shite again. We got an apology from the league after Saturday for not getting two penalties on Saturday...we'll probably have a similar letter later this week. Getting silly now.

We huffed and puffed second half but 0 goals in 5 games tells it's own story. We're starting to do that possession for possession sake shit that I can't stand.

Dropping like a stone.
We were the same the other week, we didn't have a go either but lots commented that the quality and level of Posh this season is way down on previous years.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Got to say that I’m just baffled with the way we start each half every game. I don’t know if it’s the slow tempo we tend to play at meaning we take a while to warm up and grow into games but it happened last night in both halves. Don’t recall us touching the ball in the first 10 minutes other than to deflect it off for a corner; Northampton were absolutely rampant.

Then all of a sudden we click into gear out of nowhere and score a delightful goal after keeping possession for well over a minute. Sure the finish/goalkeeping wasn’t great, but the build up was immaculate. Very comfortable for the rest of the half with infrequent but clear-cut chances to extend the lead but as per usual aren’t ruthless enough.

Then another frankly insanely poor start to the second half. I know Galbraith makes a poor mistake but our lack of athleticism without Archibald on the pitch leaves us wide open to a counter attack from our own corner and Hoskins does very well and then benefits from an outrageous deflection. We lose our heads, give away a stonewall penalty and suddenly the Cobblers fans have woken up from their slumber and we’re staring down the barrel in a game that we’ve been controlling for the past half hour. I don’t think we get back into it without the red card (didn’t see the incident).

Northampton were unbelievably good last season at our place when down to 10 men and they did the same here. Superb shape, discipline and defending the 18 yard box. Caused us problems on the counter as well. Thought after some big saves from Burge, Pig’s disallowed strike and Sotiriou’s dismal open goal miss that we’d screwed the pooch, but we definitely more than deserved the last gasp equaliser.

Think Northampton will stay up if they keep Hoskins fit. They’re really good at the back and Sam will nick enough close games for them. We need to sort out our finishing and how we start games if we have any ambition to finish above halfway in what is shaping up to be quite a poor division overall.

The thing about nicking games is very true, we’ve only been outclassed for about 3 halves of football but tight games have gone against us. Still think we’ve got enough to survive for that very reason.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

Do you seriously think you battered us at FP. Heard it all now.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Do you seriously think you battered us at FP. Heard it all now.
First half, I wouldn't use the word battered , but we were certainly the superior team as confirmed by your manager and most of your fans. Second half a different story though....poor refereeing decision helped you bit you were better in the second half.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
If you were to try and describe an Appleton side, last night showed all sides of it - threatening in stages, sideways passing in others, dodgy at the back, can't organise a defence, can't sustain performance levels for 90 minutes and sticks to the same way of formation/playing regardless of how the game is going.

Our last two games have seen the highest xG's since our 6-3 game at Bristol Rovers 12/13 months ago! Ironically enough, Appleton didn't fancy any of our scorers last night when he was here and they hardly played.

Well worth the win last night though, Tom Shaw has given the players license to be a little more expressive and we're pressing and getting up the pitch, not just sitting in our shape. Throw a bit of confidence into the mix and the last two games have shown that we have a half decent L1 squad (when the attack is available!).

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Oh just fuck off you boring c*nt

Err we just did improve on the pitch and have done for the last few matches apart the Orient game.

We are 13th in the current L1 form table from the last 4 matches. So chin up.

This is what I mean… so reactionary after one win. All of a sudden we’ve improved and are staying up because we’ve won a game. Come on Carver, get serious.

1 win here and there isn’t going to get us out of this predicament. We must improve on a consistent basis, until then you can’t start relegating other teams and start declaring survival for us and talking mid table, playoffs, finals, titles, championship.

Just keep your mouth shut until we’ve strung some results together at least. Remember how well we played at Bolton and then proceeded to follow it up with our worst performance of the season against Orient? Let’s hope that doesn’t happen at Cambridge on Saturday, but it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise given how the season’s gone so far.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
First half, I wouldn't use the word battered , but we were certainly the superior team as confirmed by your manager and most of your fans. Second half a different story though....poor refereeing decision helped you bit you were better in the second half.
I was more referring to those spells where we batter on the door but miss chances galore than overall game, we generally most games have a real spell which we don’t take advantage off. Carlisle at home first 20 for instance another good example.

If we were clinical we’d be flying but that’s the conundrum to sort out as largely every thing else has been decent!

Krimzon

Reaction score
Supports
t'Wanderers

You dont half come across as a prat .
13 games in and you are a 30 goal a season away from winning the league .
The seasons of a team finding a John McGinlay, Steve Bull, Bob Taylor , Guy Whittingham , Andy Walker , Jason Roberts et al are long gone, and even if there was one, Teams like Derby & Portsmouth would get there first.
3 ways out of these league : you play the beautiful game , very high risk and doesnt work often , BOOT ya way out of it like 90's Cambridge John Beck , or get very lucky with the misfits that nobody else wanted that just happen to click into something special .
Whatever its a long hard slog with 10 teams playing anti-football and the 2nd worst referees on the planet .

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Justly beaten by Bolton last night, we just didn't turn up in the first half and our goalie made a (thankfully rare) horrific comedy blunder for the first BWFC goal.

But they were just waltzing through our midfield at will, and attacking with pace and purpose, which is far more than can be said for us.

Thankfully we must have had a half time rocket, and that and a combination of BWFC being seemingly happy to sit back in the second half, and do a lot of pissing about with slow passing out from the back, let us back into the game, and we pegged it back to 2-2.

Then we threw it all away again, conceding a free header from a corner (basics) and slowcoach Richard Keogh being skinned and giving away a penalty to make it 4-2 to Bolton.

A very rollercoaster game then, but some horrendous defending on our part, and underlining that we're far from the finished product when it comes from being able to compete with the top side

Story of our season. Race into a lead look world beaters, [well for this league] Then we start playing tedious tippy tappy football from the back and invite teams to press us.
Evatt got his best 11 [available] starting even if it was square pegs in round holes with our rwb playing lwb
Midfield looked stronger than of late with Paris Maghoma, Thomason and Sheehan running the game.
Up front we was toothless Charles had a shocker. Looks knackered carried us all season. Wont play Bodvarrson for whatever reason. And the other 3 are shocking at this level.

Keogh got done by 37 year old Cameron Jerome and i think fell over knackered once he got into the box

Charlton away Saturday. Same result hopefully less tippy tappy shite

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
So... we are getting relegated this season.

No strikers, bring in Muskwe as a panic signing, turns out he's a complete fraud. See you in a few years I guess.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
So... we are getting relegated this season.

No strikers, bring in Muskwe as a panic signing, turns out he's a complete fraud. See you in a few years I guess.
We haven't scored in over 7 hours now, you moan about strikers, Lincoln fans do, seems a bit of an issue for a few clubs this season in L1!

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
You dont half come across as a prat .
13 games in and you are a 30 goal a season away from winning the league .
The seasons of a team finding a John McGinlay, Steve Bull, Bob Taylor , Guy Whittingham , Andy Walker , Jason Roberts et al are long gone, and even if there was one, Teams like Derby & Portsmouth would get there first.
3 ways out of these league : you play the beautiful game , very high risk and doesnt work often , BOOT ya way out of it like 90's Cambridge John Beck , or get very lucky with the misfits that nobody else wanted that just happen to click into something special .
Whatever its a long hard slog with 10 teams playing anti-football and the 2nd worst referees on the planet .
No way the second worst refs on the planet. If you’ve watched regular non league football then you’d realise than believe it or not the refs get even worse the further you go down.

We played long ball and won the league under Beck but we weren’t dirty so I take umbrage with you saying we booted our way out of the league. And the players in that side were to a degree stifled under Beck - I reckon we’d have made the premier league with that side if Beck had let them play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!