Sat 2nd & Mon 4th September Fixtures

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
The bottom five according to the prediction competition are (starting from the bottom and working up):
- Cheltenham
- Carlisle
- Cambridge
- Northampton
- Stevenage

Neither Exeter or Port Vale were heavily tipped for the drop, although both were picked to go down by a few (including me!)

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
The bottom five according to the prediction competition are (starting from the bottom and working up):
- Cheltenham
- Carlisle
- Cambridge
- Northampton
- Stevenage

Neither Exeter or Port Vale were heavily tipped for the drop, although both were picked to go down by a few (including me!)

I think we’ve settled in quite nicely so far. Changed style but have dominated 3 games out of 6 and haven’t really had a stinking performance yet. Definitely from what I’ve seen there’s not a lot to be frightened of.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Honestly not sure how you got Devine, he'll be a cheat code at this level. Could be a bit like when we had Wessi in League 2.
Neither are we! He was expected to go Leeds I believe! Flickers went on a big charm offensive with clubs regarding loans so his big “phrases” must have won them round!

That said Devine is arguably not as good at this stage as Arblaster who so far has looked above any midfielder I’ve seen in a Vale shirt in the 20 odd years since I’ve been going.

folletto

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
One of the worst first half performances from Charlton in a long time. Fleetwood fully deserved their goal, were unlucky not to score a freekick that crashed down off the bar and got in behind our fullbacks for great chances a few times that they probably should have done much better with. We were lucky to go in level and can thank a great goal from Alfie May for that.
On the positive side, the second half was much better and Miles Leaburn returning off the bench was a huge boost. Still way too many chances gifted to Fleetwood, that on another day they would have taken.
A big two weeks ahead for the club now. Hopefully get a manager in early next week to give them a good week and a half to train the squad before the next game

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Turns out Wildsmith was sent off for nothing in the end. Can see why it was given, at the time I thought he had handled it, but turns out he was extremely right to feel aggrieved as it hit him in the chest as he adamantly protested.

Ref was absolutely appalling, as is standard at this level, but I can’t blame him for making the decision. Good news is that it will be rescinded. The result probably wouldn’t have been any different anyway, but gives Warne an excuse and ultimately more time when really the sooner we change the better.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
I thought that a 'bigger ambitious club' like Shrewsbury would have their own commentary available and would bring more than just 300 hundred away fans to a L1 match.

:lol::lol:
We have our own commentary on every single match, always have done for as long as I’ve known on BBC Radio Shropshire. Unfortunately, when you’re watching on IPTV, the commentary is always set to whoever is playing at home, therefore I had to listen to two dickheads from Cumbria yesterday.

As for the away following, train strikes aren’t exactly helping anyone right now, I would have been in attendance yesterday if it wasn’t for yet more strikes. Thankfully they did go on strike as I would have been even more angry yesterday having to fork out a good couple hundred quid on a day out watching that garbage from us. We just haven’t turned up away from home so far this season. Shame as we did start the first 15 on top but for the rest of the 75 minutes it was all Carlisle who deserved the win.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Cambridge were the best of the three and well drilled, but I marked them down as they were defensive at home against a struggling side
You mark a team down being tactically better than you just because we were at home. Interesting.

If we went toe to toe with you, it plays into your hands. Since we’ve done it to you it looks like others are following suit.

Your defence are not good enough for the tippy tappy stuff you’re playing. Wait for the them make a mistake and hit you on the break. Unless Barton changes that, you’ll have to get used to watching that most weeks.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
One of the worst first half performances from Charlton in a long time. Fleetwood fully deserved their goal, were unlucky not to score a freekick that crashed down off the bar and got in behind our fullbacks for great chances a few times that they probably should have done much better with. We were lucky to go in level and can thank a great goal from Alfie May for that.
On the positive side, the second half was much better and Miles Leaburn returning off the bench was a huge boost. Still way too many chances gifted to Fleetwood, that on another day they would have taken.
A big two weeks ahead for the club now. Hopefully get a manager in early next week to give them a good week and a half to train the squad before the next game
Well that's very fair reporting from yourself mate. Scott Brown very critical of our defending ( yet again ) and lack of firepower up front. I really don't know what the answer is. We are playing reasonably well but a combination of dodgy defending, missed chances up front are contributing to where we are in the league. Tbh, any team in a bad run have just got to play through it. We have got decent players in the team, good management, Scott Brown is learning the hard way and he will be a better manager for this
Good luck in your search for a new manager

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We have our own commentary on every single match, always have done for as long as I’ve known on BBC Radio Shropshire. Unfortunately, when you’re watching on IPTV, the commentary is always set to whoever is playing at home, therefore I had to listen to two dickheads from Cumbria yesterday.

As for the away following, train strikes aren’t exactly helping anyone right now, I would have been in attendance yesterday if it wasn’t for yet more strikes. Thankfully they did go on strike as I would have been even more angry yesterday having to fork out a good couple hundred quid on a day out watching that garbage from us. We just haven’t turned up away from home so far this season. Shame as we did start the first 15 on top but for the rest of the 75 minutes it was all Carlisle who deserved the win.
Neither of them are from Cumbria.

I think they're very fair and say it how it is more often than not. When there's a player or team that is impressive they'll say it and if you're crap they'll say it (including if you're playing for Carlisle). Their knowledge of lower league players is solid and Chris Lumsdon understands what playing at this level is all about.

James Philips actually gets excited when the opposition score!

Solid start from us.

There's an obvious step up in quality but nothing mind-blowing. The difference is overall squad quality. In league two the worst 25% of a starting 11 were generally garbage whereas in this league the crap element of a team can hold their own. This might change once injuries and suspensions take hold and test squad depth.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
A few observations from yesterday. Oxford have a great midfield but like a number of teams in this league they do the passing for passing sake with no end product. When will teams at this level learn? The moment they were a bit more direct with their running, they were much the better for it.

The first yellow card for Leigh was a bit harsh. He kind of slipped into the challenge, which meant that even though he won the ball, the aggression appeared slightly excessive. The ref didn't take those mitigating circumstances into account. The second booking was stupid from a fairly experienced player. Absolutely no need to lunge in on that area of the pitch.

The first sending off is basically either the Oxford management or the player not doing their homework. Smith has probably got 6 or 7 players sent off by playing right on the edge of the rules. He's horrible to play against and will wind up opposition players until they snap. The Oxford management team should know that information before the game and tell players not to retaliate. Stupid.

We were nowhere near our best yesterday. Thought a lot of passes went astray and some of our quality footballers like Chislett and Arblaster didn't have their best games. What we did have was good organisation. Call it bang average or whatever you want, but it's how you win football matches away from home and we haven't done it nearly enough. Keep it tight until 60 minutes and then hope the subs can nick it.

Oxford were really naive for the last few minutes. Take the point with 10 men and move on. Instead they tried to win it and were left short at the back.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
The first sending off is basically either the Oxford management or the player not doing their homework. Smith has probably got 6 or 7 players sent off by playing right on the edge of the rules. He's horrible to play against and will wind up opposition players until they snap. The Oxford management team should know that information before the game and tell players not to retaliate. Stupid.
Referees at this level should surely by now also realise what Smith is about and take any incident involving him with a large pinch of salt.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Referees at this level should surely by now also realise what Smith is about and take any incident involving him with a large pinch of salt.
I agree but the ref has to act on violent conduct, irrespective of those involved. It's poor from the Oxford management team not to have done their homework.

The Evil Dead

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Why? He isn't doing anything wrong. If it was one of my players, I'd be more concerned with their inability to remain cool. Down to the strikers not Smith.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You mark a team down being tactically better than you just because we were at home. Interesting.

If we went toe to toe with you, it plays into your hands. Since we’ve done it to you it looks like others are following suit.

Your defence are not good enough for the tippy tappy stuff you’re playing. Wait for the them make a mistake and hit you on the break. Unless Barton changes that, you’ll have to get used to watching that most weeks.

Yeah I just feel a team shouldnt defend so deep at home, especially as at the moment you could probably come at us and still win

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
They often do hence why both MK Dons and Charlton last season kept 11 men on the pitch only to rightfully get the retrospective ban after! Luckily we won both.

Smudge is a wind up merchant, does the little pinching and gets a reaction all the time, apparently he even does it in training with our own lads!

He got two in a week once!

If you do your homework you should know what to expect and not react.

Even Andy Carroll thought **** this after Smudge and went to France. Love him, he’s an absolute nutter. (But lovely bloke in general off the pitch)

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
they already do, he could and should have got about 4 more sent off last season than he did.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
They often do hence why both MK Dons and Charlton last season kept 11 men on the pitch only to rightfully get the retrospective ban after! Luckily we won both.

Smudge is a wind up merchant, does the little pinching and gets a reaction all the time, apparently he even does it in training with our own lads!

He got two in a week once!

If you do your homework you should know what to expect and not react.

Even Andy Carroll thought **** this after Smudge and went to France. Love him, he’s an absolute nutter. (But lovely bloke in general off the pitch)
Yeah, I think you're probably right. When we played you at Fratton last season we had quite a few corners and Smith ended up on the ground each time, either with one of our players or occasionally by himself. The ref generally ignored him.

Don't get me wrong, I try not to be a hypocrite about these things. We've had similar players in the past and it's fun when it's your team benefiting.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah, I think you're probably right. When we played you at Fratton last season we had quite a few corners and Smith ended up on the ground each time, either with one of our players or occasionally by himself. The ref generally ignored him.

Don't get me wrong, I try not to be a hypocrite about these things. We've had similar players in the past and it's fun when it's your team benefiting.
Pack and Morrell are no angels either. I see the latter got sent off again.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Well there was a back story there and Colby Bishop was one of his early "Victims" the season before in the cup against Accrington!

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
The difference with Pack and Morrell is that they are great at getting themselves sent off, rather than others.

With Pack last season it was generally a tired, desperate lunge that would see him sent off, usually because he was playing too many games due to injuries.

Morrell is another story entirely. He's just brainless and makes stupid decisions. I think he'd like to be as good at winding up opponents as Smith but he tends to come off worse. His sending off came too late in the game to affect us on Saturday but he's cost us dearly in the past. I'm convinced we would have made the playoffs last season without another stupid sending off and 3-match ban for a crucial run of fixtures. Back in June, he also likely cost Wales a place at the next Euros with quick exit after 41 minutes against Turkey.

I had my fingers crossed that someone would bid for him in the window but no luck. I'm sure his temperament is why he's here in League One and not the Championship. I'm convinced he will cost us dearly again at some point this season.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Well there was a back story there and Colby Bishop was one of his early "Victims" the season before in the cup against Accrington!
I'm imagining Smith has a Predator-style lair with mementos of his victims.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The difference with Pack and Morrell is that they are great at getting themselves sent off, rather than others.

With Pack last season it was generally a tired, desperate lunge that would see him sent off, usually because he was playing too many games due to injuries.

Morrell is another story entirely. He's just brainless and makes stupid decisions. I think he'd like to be as good at winding up opponents as Smith but he tends to come off worse. His sending off came too late in the game to affect us on Saturday but he's cost us dearly in the past. I'm convinced we would have made the playoffs last season without another stupid sending off and 3-match ban for a crucial run of fixtures. Back in June, he also likely cost Wales a place at the next Euros with quick exit after 41 minutes against Turkey.

I had my fingers crossed that someone would bid for him in the window but no luck. I'm sure his temperament is why he's here in League One and not the Championship. I'm convinced he will cost us dearly again at some point this season.
I think every club needs a bit of a shithouse in their ranks.
We had a great one in Paul Coutts while in L2, but he was clever in how he went about it and controlled the refs without them even know he was doing it.
Only shithouse I can think of now for us is Sam Finley who is a walking red card (e.g got taken off early Saturday when on a yellow). One time Port Vales Conlon stamped on his foot (missed by ref) and retaliated (not missed by ref) and got sent off.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'm imagining Smith has a Predator-style lair with mementos of his victims.
We have a fan who runs a gravestone on twitter so expecting a new video on that today at some point!

Its the smile that I think haunts them as he has a huge gap in his front teeth!

That said I am waiting for him to eventually fall on his sword so to speak and get sent off being caught doing something!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think every club needs a bit of a shithouse in their ranks.
We had a great one in Paul Coutts while in L2, but he was clever in how he went about it and controlled the refs without them even know he was doing it.
Only shithouse I can think of now for us is Sam Finley who is a walking red card (e.g got taken off early Saturday when on a yellow). One time Port Vales Conlon stamped on his foot (missed by ref) and retaliated (not missed by ref) and got sent off.
Paul Coutts absolutely owns the ref. One of the very best.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Paul Coutts absolutely owns the ref. One of the very best.
That 3-1 at Vale Park he was practically glued to him! Should of walked as well! We have lacked that kind of player since Pope mind.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Apparently Ben Purkiss wasn't very complimentary considering he is ex Vale on their com team and we did get another #teamslikeportvale again! We have actually adopted that on our twitter bio now :lol:

Good to see Yak finally get a goal! Three ruled out this season, almost scored a wonder goal against Carlisle, gets an addictive chant for him and then finally hits the net!

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I agree but the ref has to act on violent conduct, irrespective of those involved. It's poor from the Oxford management team not to have done their homework.

Do you know what the violent conduct was?

Smith held his face but your management claimed the Ref said it was for a stamp?

Agree with your other comments above.

The Ref was very erratic in dishing out cautions. Smith had 2 cynically wild swipes, with absolutely no attempt at the ball, at Harris in the same move near your penalty area with the Ref waving play on when MH got a shot away. All the Ref did was have a word when he ran by but could have cautioned him but he booked players for less. Both challenges could have been cautions in their own right.

He was also erratic in decision making both ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!