Sat 2 March fixtures

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Vale fans saying how shite we were, but I actually thought it was the best we've played this season. The back three looked comfortable, Joe Ward and Louie Sibley were good in the hybrid wide midfield/wing back role, Dwight Gayle showed his quality. NML, who usually is the driving force of our team, had a poor game too. It was good to see others step up.

We have been shite for a lot of this season, though, no doubt about it, but I thought we showed some promise on Saturday. We looked a little more coherent than we have done for the most part of this season. I'm still not confident that we will actually achieve anything this year, but think Ebou Adams and Dwight Gayle give us a chance.

I do agree with everyone else, it's very true that this division is very poor. I thought the same last year and it will be the same next year. There's only 6 or 7 teams in the league who have footballers who can kick a ball in a straight line - the rest have teams filled with footballers who are doing their best to avoid stacking shelves at Tesco the year later.
Your defence would look comfortable, we had no strikers! Gavin Massey first half and a 17 year old youth player second half I would expect any defence to look comfortable.

I wouldn't get any excitement over beating us at the moment, as we say "nothing special we lose every week" and thats pretty accurate at the moment, this bunch of soft losers wouldn't stay up in League Two with their attitude and downing of tools.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interning point b
I agree totally with codaplenty etc above. I'm really not sure what the Vale fans expected when they came into League One. It's the third tier. Most of the football is going to be pretty workmanlike.

Last season was a real freak. Wednesday had retained most of their Championship squad. Ipswich had a big budget and an up and coming young manager, and Plymouth's excellent recruitment and very smart coach somehow finished above them both. Statistically, Ipswich had the most dominant season seen at this level since stats were taken seriously.

This season is really just a regression to the norm, although we've definitely benefited from the plights of the teams that were relegated from the Championship.

The bottom half of League One (which is what Vale fans should be mostly concerned with) actually looks more competitive than the last few seasons. There's a strong chance that a half decent team like Fleetwood and/or Cheltenham might drop out, which is unusual.

And yes, we're well aware that our current squad won't be good enough if we do go up. We will undoubtedly invest on the playing side and hope that our Sporting Director and Coach know what they're doing. The Plymouth model is the one that we're following closest, with probably a bigger budget, and they have given themselves a good chance of survival this season despite losing their manager.
That’s very interesting and the more I think about it, I’d probably agree. This league overall definitely feels weaker than the last few we’ve spent here, but it’s true that the bottom teams are much better than usual. Most of them know how to score goals and are well organised compared to previous.

It’s the midtable/top that’s dropped off this year I think. Whilst the top 6 do obviously have better players, they’re completely beatable and make a lot of mistakes.

What I will say though is that the whole league is much more proficient at seeing out a game and setting up to get x points. When we got relegated before, it was only really the Wycombes who were doing this. Since we’ve come back it’s about 35% of the division

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Interning point b

That’s very interesting and the more I think about it, I’d probably agree. This league overall definitely feels weaker than the last few we’ve spent here, but it’s true that the bottom teams are much better than usual. Most of them know how to score goals and are well organised compared to previous.

It’s the midtable/top that’s dropped off this year I think. Whilst the top 6 do obviously have better players, they’re completely beatable and make a lot of mistakes.

What I will say though is that the whole league is much more proficient at seeing out a game and setting up to get x points. When we got relegated before, it was only really the Wycombes who were doing this. Since we’ve come back it’s about 35% of the division
I think people are misquoting what I am saying. (or I have mis explained) in that its weaker in terms of the top and the gulf between it and the Championship, though the money in that league now is ridiculous and its hard to keep up once at this level.

I don't expect scintillating football, we've been at this level 12/13 years since the turn of the century and bar the odd exception (Ipswich/Wolves) its usually fairly level. Derby are second but just launched balls down the channel to get into us for example.

In fairness I prefer the proper blood and guts football to watching say the Barcelona or Spain style of slow passing for 90 minutes so not knocking it.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agree on it being the only bad challenge, Wilson took one for the team there.

Beckles was constantly fouling, pushing off the ball, throwing and pushing players all over the place. Notice how he came out fine, but Conteh had his shirt ripped in half - and you don't think thats worth a yellow? How hard do you have to grab someones shirt to rip it in half ffs
and Beckles is the chair of the PFA. Says it all really

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Interning point b

Dunno about that, about two thirds of the bottom half are averaging less than a goal a game!

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think people are misquoting what I am saying. (or I have mis explained) in that its weaker in terms of the top and the gulf between it and the Championship, though the money in that league now is ridiculous and its hard to keep up once at this level.

I don't expect scintillating football, we've been at this level 12/13 years since the turn of the century and bar the odd exception (Ipswich/Wolves) its usually fairly level. Derby are second but just launched balls down the channel to get into us for example.

In fairness I prefer the proper blood and guts football to watching say the Barcelona or Spain style of slow passing for 90 minutes so not knocking it.
Said it to my Ipswich supporting mate last year, I honestly preferred L2 football. Back in the 2000s L2 used to be known for lumping it forward. These days I reckon there’s more footballing teams in L2 than L1 tbh.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Said it to my Ipswich supporting mate last year, I honestly preferred L2 football. Back in the 2000s L2 used to be known for lumping it forward. These days I reckon there’s more footballing teams in L2 than L1 tbh.
I watch a lot of non league football and I can say that the conference and conference north from what I can see is not far off league one.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient

Not last season there wasn’t. Mansfield could play a bit and Swindon tried (and failed). The only actual good footballing sides were us and - to a lesser extent - Northampton. Everyone else was fucking hoof-it garbage.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
There seems to be a bit of an obsession in league 1 about this possession for possession's sake, except 90% of the footballers are unable to carry it out at this level. So, what you get is a lot of teams struggling to score because they play side to side in front of teams but don't have a technician skilled enough to break the lines.

Although admittedly we've been pretty shit since we came back up, so my view is probably skewed, but there's very rarely many exciting games. A lot of it is just purgatory.

League 2 is a hell hole but at least you get a variation in teams. We played Sutton when they first came up and we just couldn't handle their style. Every opportunity, from wherever they were on the pitch, was to lump balls into the box and we couldn't handle it. Then you get a contrast in Mansfield, who knock it about really nicely. Every game was different.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not last season there wasn’t. Mansfield could play a bit and Swindon tried (and failed). The only actual good footballing sides were us and - to a lesser extent - Northampton. Everyone else was fucking hoof-it garbage.
Weird. When we were there off the top of my head;

FGR, Exeter, Rovers, Vale, Swindon, Mansfield, Tranmere, Orient, Carlisle, Harrogate - all good footballing sides. Against us they were anyway

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
there's very rarely many exciting games. A lot of it is just purgatory.

Hmmm.... this may be because you're watching Port Vale.

Still slagging off the quality of a league that your team is plummeting out of? Weird.

We've had plenty of exciting games this season. Previous seasons, maybe not so much. It's football and you take the rough with the smooth, unless you support one of the moneyed clubs at the top of the Prem.

nelsonpfc

Reaction score
Supports
Pompey
There seems to be a bit of an obsession in league 1 about this possession for possession's sake, except 90% of the footballers are unable to carry it out at this level. So, what you get is a lot of teams struggling to score because they play side to side in front of teams but don't have a technician skilled enough to break the lines.

Although admittedly we've been pretty shit since we came back up, so my view is probably skewed, but there's very rarely many exciting games. A lot of it is just purgatory.

League 2 is a hell hole but at least you get a variation in teams. We played Sutton when they first came up and we just couldn't handle their style. Every opportunity, from wherever they were on the pitch, was to lump balls into the box and we couldn't handle it. Then you get a contrast in Mansfield, who knock it about really nicely. Every game was different.
I've been watching the top 6 alot recently just seeing how they are doing in the run in. Derby don't try and play out of the back, they are a hoof it forward, play for set pieces. Barnsley and Bolton last night we very up and under for the most part. At least with Pompey we do try and play through the lines, move the ball about, but have the ability to knock it up to Bishop, hit it over the top for Kamara or Lane. Pack can pick a pass and our goalie is good at turning the opposition around with quick counters. Oxford, Reading and Blackpool are full of really quick attacking players who can flip a bad midfield pass into a chance. We've played our fair share of sides that put everyone behind the ball, try and stay in the game and try and nick something. I think and I could be wrong, but the poor sides in the division, Vale, Burton, Carlise tend to drag most of their opposition into an anti football game.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I've been watching the top 6 alot recently just seeing how they are doing in the run in. Derby don't try and play out of the back, they are a hoof it forward, play for set pieces. Barnsley and Bolton last night we very up and under for the most part. At least with Pompey we do try and play through the lines, move the ball about, but have the ability to knock it up to Bishop, hit it over the top for Kamara or Lane. Pack can pick a pass and our goalie is good at turning the opposition around with quick counters. Oxford, Reading and Blackpool are full of really quick attacking players who can flip a bad midfield pass into a chance. We've played our fair share of sides that put everyone behind the ball, try and stay in the game and try and nick something. I think and I could be wrong, but the poor sides in the division, Vale, Burton, Carlise tend to drag most of their opposition into an anti football game.
We dont tend to do any anti football, I wish we would but we are far far too soft, most of the season we've played possession football but with zero end product, so loads of passing around the back, I think our goalkeeper at one stage had the most forward passes in the division!

Its why we lack any battlers or fighters to dig us out the mess because we signed players for playing a football system, we just dont have the sheer quality of Arblaster and Devine to make anything of it anymore.

Its a mixed bag though so agree with you overall, some teams pass for passing sake (Vale are one of those for most of the season). FGR used to do it and we had a great record against them under DC and Askey for high pressing them for instance, but Derby were direct, balls down the channel to target the flanks, Barnsley again direct, get crosses into the box, Reading with their wingers for instance so it is a mixed bag.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hmmm.... this may be because you're watching Port Vale.

Still slagging off the quality of a league that your team is plummeting out of? Weird.

We've had plenty of exciting games this season. Previous seasons, maybe not so much. It's football and you take the rough with the smooth, unless you support one of the moneyed clubs at the top of the Prem.
Apart from the odd corker, excitement usually comes from the game meaning something. If you’re losing comfortably each game without fight then of course it’s not exciting.

If you’re winning and your players are giving their all, it’s bloody exciting. Eg our game at Orient, it wasn’t a classic and a neutral would have turned it off. But for us it was great, good atmosphere and both teams giving their all. What’s not to like?

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Weird. When we were there off the top of my head;

FGR, Exeter, Rovers, Vale, Swindon, Mansfield, Tranmere, Orient, Carlisle, Harrogate - all good footballing sides. Against us they were anyway
We made most sides look like Barcelona though, at least until the Geordie Maradona came in. I remember that Swindon game at home where they ran us ragged!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We made most sides look like Barcelona though, at least until the Geordie Maradona came in. I remember that Swindon game at home where they ran us ragged!
Ah Swindon... now that will be an interesting fixture for us next season after the bitterness both sets of fans had of each other post Play Offs! All be it from a player perspective most will have moved on from either club,

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ah Swindon... now that will be an interesting fixture for us next season after the bitterness both sets of fans had of each other post Play Offs! All be it from a player perspective most will have moved on from either club,
I hate Swindon. I remember many moons ago probably in the 90's they started lobbing bricks into the away end from outside the County ground. I doubt their offspring are any more intelligent these days

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I hate Swindon. I remember many moons ago probably in the 90's they started lobbing bricks into the away end from outside the County ground. I doubt their offspring are any more intelligent these days
It was more the arrogance (that said the lads on here are sound), after the first leg their players were in the press pretty much suggesting the job was done and how they are better footballers than us which as you can guess ended up pinned to the dressing room wall by DC and team talk done... their fans seemed to largely buy into though and were on our socials talking about how massive they are because they sold out the away car park etc.

It was pointless, unfortunately a handful of our fans didn't help themselves at the end which left sour scenes, Swindon were all on the moral high ground despite 5 of the 15 being hunted being their fans, both sets had a minority who let themselves down, especially ours on a moment which we should of been enjoying.

On final day Baudry was on social media slating Burslem to which Gibbo replied with his trophy picture "On the way back to MY shithole"

So much needless bitterness and if they hadn't have made the pre match comments they did maybe we wouldn't have come out the traps like we did and they'd have got through, was so pointless.

The Final with Mansfield was totally the opposite with their fans being classy, especially towards DC and mutual respect afterwards, even Nigel Clough!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was more the arrogance (that said the lads on here are sound), after the first leg their players were in the press pretty much suggesting the job was done and how they are better footballers than us which as you can guess ended up pinned to the dressing room wall by DC and team talk done... their fans seemed to largely buy into though and were on our socials talking about how massive they are because they sold out the away car park etc.

It was pointless, unfortunately a handful of our fans didn't help themselves at the end which left sour scenes, Swindon were all on the moral high ground despite 5 of the 15 being hunted being their fans, both sets had a minority who let themselves down, especially ours on a moment which we should of been enjoying.

On final day Baudry was on social media slating Burslem to which Gibbo replied with his trophy picture "On the way back to MY shithole"

So much needless bitterness and if they hadn't have made the pre match comments they did maybe we wouldn't have come out the traps like we did and they'd have got through, was so pointless.

The Final with Mansfield was totally the opposite with their fans being classy, especially towards DC and mutual respect afterwards, even Nigel Clough!
Yeah i was following closely due to DC and remember all the stuff that went on. I cant believe they were so confident leading just 2-1 with the away leg coming up.
We were leading 3-1 against Northampton in the play offs 1998 and lost the 2nd leg 3-0! Class reply by Gibbo though, he seemed popular with our lads but wasnt really good enough to get a long run of games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!