Rate your team for this season/expectations for next season

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Well we're almost done for this campaign, and only the playoff winner and final relegation spot remain to be confirmed.

So I think it's fair enough to start this thread.

What happened this season:
  • My personal pre-season expectation was one of transition, and an 8th-10th finish, definitely not good enough for playoffs but not bad either
  • Rookie manager Matt Bloomfield led us into his first full season in charge
  • The idea was to transition us to a less direct style than the Ainsworth era, and (shudder) do the "playing the ball out from the back" crap that players at this level are generally terrible at
  • After a massive influx of new players over the summer (I think our biggest ever turnover) initial results were a mixed but acceptable bag
  • We then ran into a terrible run of form (I think 17 games without a win?) characterised by an incoherent side lacking identity, poor in attack, and with an abysmal tendency to switch off and concede late goals
  • The "Bloomfield Out" chants did appear towards the end of this run, although never reached critical mass
  • The owners pointedly ignored this and backed the manager to the hilt
  • After a record player turnover in the summer, some deadwood was identified in the squad midway through the campaign, and we had an equally record January turnover with several ins and outs
  • From here, we seemed to stabilise
  • Ditched the "play it out from the back" nonsense
  • Abandoned some of the pretty football pretences and went back to a more "Ainsworth-lite" style, more long passes from the back but less dark arts than Ainsworth
  • Results were still a mixed bag, but enough to elevate us into the realms of mediocrity rather than flirting with relegation
  • Got to the tinpot final - as shit a competition as it may be, a welcome distraction from an otherwise meh campaign, regardless of the disappointment of the actual day
  • We have found some consistency in recent weeks and best possible finish would be 10th - in line with my pre-season prediction, although we've taken a fucking horrible route to get there
What went well:
  • We have used the loan market well this season, and benefited from some good young EPL players
  • Signed very wisely in January which saved our season, otherwise we were at serious risk of going down
  • Bloomfield learning some pragmatism and not to be over-ambitious with the expectations of skill levels of third tier players
  • The board in fairness did well to back Bloomfield through the doldrums, many would have got shot of him
What went badly:
  • Playing 3 at the back never seemed to work, and we conceded a bunch of unnecessary sloppy goals despite actually having some very good CBs
  • We have been particularly lacklustre in attack, trying to play more ball to feet, whilst still having a big target man (Vokes) - the strikers have been misfiring and our goals are thinly spread across a bunch of different players.
Marks out of 10:
6. As I said, I was fully expecting this to be a transition season with an inexperienced manager finding his own identity, and a squad with a bunch of new arrivals, but fuck me have we been hard to watch at times.

What needs to change:
  • A more coherent idea of how we are trying to play in attack - we signed a couple of decent attacking players in January, they now need to kick on
  • Vokes is still great at holding up the ball but I feel his time may have passed - do we go for a younger target man, or stop trying to play that way altogether?
How do you expect to do next season:

• If it goes well - outside shot at playoffs
  • If it goes badly - lower mid-table finish, 14th-16th. Anything lower is unacceptable - Bloomfield has now had enough time to make this his team.
  • If I had to guess right now, I would say 8th, not quite good enough for the playoffs, but decent.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
We didn't score for the first 11 league games (a new Football League record) then went on a playoff level of form before running out of steam in the last couple of months.

What went well:
We appointed Darrell Clarke. That's about it.

What went badly:
Where do I start....
- We sold our best ever player for a pittance in the summer and didn't replace him
- We let our DOF leave to another club in the same division without any compensation coming in because of the type of contract he was on. He, in turn, took our head analyst and a first team coach with him. Instead of attempting to get another experienced DOF, we appointed our current assistant manager as head of recruitment and gave him no support whatsoever in the transfer market.
- We hung a decent coach out to dry. Wade Elliott was left with no support staff at all when pre-season started and had to draft coaches in from the youth team to help with training. His tactics were dreadful, and he had to be let go, but that really doesn't tell the full story - he didn't deserve the shit he got.
- Injuries. So many bloody injuries. We haven't had a fully fit strike force all season. It's arguably why, Matty Taylor aside, they have 4 goals between them. Matty Taylor is currently playing at 50% - if that - and we had a 16 year old on the bench on Saturday, just in case.
- Referees. I know decisions tend to even out over a season but, if that's true, we're in for a hell of a lot of gifts in the next two games. An equaliser against Bolton was disallowed for offside, Lloyd had about 4 Bolton players playing him onside. A penalty turned down at Derby which could have put us 2-0 - Lloyd was actually kicked in the chest and the ref claimed the lad got the ball. Then Exeter on Easter Monday - a harsh penalty decision against us (though I see why it was given) before two absolutely stonewall penalties for us were turned down. That's to say nothing about the absolute physical abuse that George Lloyd has received this season without getting so much as a free-kick. I don't believe in conspiracies, but some of the decisions that have gone against us this season make me question it sometimes.

Marks out of 10:
4 - If we stay up.
2 - If we go down

What needs to change:
The club needs a plan - both on and off the pitch. They need to formulate this and present to DC to prove to him the club has a future. It needs to secure the off-field staff as much as the on-field staff. It needs to promote itself commercially and remind the people of Gloucestershire that Whaddon Road is the only place in the county where there will be EFL football next season.

If we stay up - another season of struggle, but I don't think we'll be in the bottom 4 all year.
If we're relegated - consolidation with a tilt at the playoffs.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
  • My personal pre-season expectation was one of progress and lessons being learnt, finishing safely in mid table and steady progress.
  • Lost the opening game 7-0, despite a fairly even game in general play the defending was a sign of things to come.
  • Went 10 unbeaten after that in all comps, 16 points from the first 7 games and at one point during the Burton game we were top.
  • Went winless in 13 games
  • Made the Carabao QF for the first time but put in a powder puff effort against Middlesborough.
  • Picked up 10 points in 5 games in December to seemingly stop the rot.
  • Ollie Arblaster and Alfie Devine are recalled, Vale have another disastrous January, Michael Smith is close to signing but falls through late in the day.
  • Crosby is sacked, replaced by Moore following a horrific 3-0 defeat to Fleetwood.
  • Vale go on a terrible run not winning again until mid March
  • Flitcroft leaves the club.
  • 7 Points from 4 games puts Vale outside the drop zone.
  • Vale then slump again despite 2-0 up v Exeter and relegation is confirmed.
What went well:
  • A first Quarter Final in a major competition since the 1954 FA Cup Semi Final run, possibly never to be repeated in my lifetime.
  • Seeing Ollie Arblaster in a Vale shirt, easily the best player I have seen in our colours, now a playing Premier League week in week out.
  • The youth system, Dipepa, Walters, Plant, Shorrock, Lomax all positives coming through, the first time its been productive, big sales on some younger pro's and Man United chasing Dipepa, ££££.
What went badly:
  • Playing 3 at the back on the widest pitch in the league. Madness.
  • Playing 3 at the back but having midfielders cover in wingback as we dont have any (bar one who broke his leg.
    • Signed no fighters, too many "nice lads" and get bullied.
  • Never solved the striker issue.
  • Another poor January, lessons not learnt from last season.
  • Slow to react to Crosby being out his depth.
  • Changing the manager after the window closed.
  • Sticking with Flitcroft.
  • Poor defensive performances.
  • Lack of confidence, one goal and the cards fall.
Marks out of 10:
1. Dire, completely avoidable relegation had people listened.

What needs to change:
  • Everything!
  • More characters prepared to fight, especially going to the likes of Barrow or Accrington on a January Tuesday night.

• If it goes well - Play Offs
  • If it goes badly - Slump and a relegation battle.
  • If I had to guess right now, I would hope we would invest to try and right the wrongs and will be around 5th.

folletto

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
  • We got carried away with some decent signings in summer, resulting in many expecting playoffs.
  • I thought we would improve on last season but expected us to fall short of play offs, 8th-10th.
  • Started off poorly, Holden sacked very early on
  • Bought in Appleton who to put it simply was useless
  • Appleton was taking us down but we decided to give him January
  • Finally sacked Appleton and somehow persuaded Nathan Jones to join who steadied the ship and steered us clear of relegation
  • 14 unbeaten but we draw every game
  • Our worst finish since 1926
What went well:
  • Alfie May
  • Some decent signings in January
  • Getting Nathan Jones
What went badly:
  • Everything.
  • Way too many individual errors
  • 6 set piece goals, the lowest by far in this league
  • Next to no clean sheets. Completely disjointed defence who looked like conceding every attack
  • Appleton Hire
Marks out of 10:
2. Our worst season since 1926. Would be a 1 if it wasn't for Nathan Jones' unbeaten run.

What needs to change:
  • New keeper
  • Less defensive errors
  • A coherent team who look like they can play together
  • Set piece routines

• Jones has made us difficult to beat but right now we still look very poor
  • I trust his recruitment but depends what resources he is given
  • Being incredibly optimistic, if we nail summer I think Jones is a great manager and can push towards top 6
  • In reality, after how far off the pace we've been this year I think we will be mid table

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
For those already bored by the close season, feel free to have a shot at this...

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town

• Started off averagely, had a dip towards the relegation zones, then pretty much stayed mid table the entire season.
  • Kept the majority of our L2 promotion side
  • Retained two of our best ever loanees in Kieron Bowie and Marc Leonard - Leonard to most being one of the most talented players to have played for us.
  • Continues to slowly evolve into a better footballing side and not just hoofball
  • Finally announced that the East Stand will be developed early 2025.

What went well:
  • We stayed up comfortably, delighted!
  • Improved overall performance
  • Jon Brady continues to do a stellar job
  • Moved into an improved training facility (decent enough for us)
  • Marc Leonard
What went badly:

• Danny Hylton
  • Injuries!!
  • Performances away to the big boys, got pummeled pretty much every time
Marks out of 10

For me it has to be around an 8. We seemed to be certain relegation candidates but were safe with weeks to go, had some great results along the way. A cup run would be enjoyable (Brady's cup record is atrocious) and continue to develop the style of play gradually.

What needs to change

• Less injuries without a shadow of a doubt
  • Durability made a priority when signing players
  • More options at the top of the pitch
  • Strengthen the spine of the team
How do you expect to do next season?

Anything close to matching this season's league performance would be fantastic. We seem to always struggle in the second season and inevitably go down so trying to become a settled L1 side is the aim. Think it will be harder next season as the league looks to be stronger overall.

Would like to see more of a focal point up top also as its something we have lacked for a little while. Need to keep Brady and the feel good factor around the club also, everyone seems united as it stands which is essential for us to stay up again.

Realistically see us around 17th next season.

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Obviously in the league below, but i'll jump ship to this forum now as the season has officially ended for us. We finished 2nd in league 2 so means another promotion, joining a small number of teams who did back to back promotions in 2 years. Doesn't matter on how much money any club throws at it, to do it is some achievement.

What went well:
Getting promoted, is the obvious one. Equalling a league record for number of goals scored at home (62) which is a pretty good achievement.

Having a never-say-die attitude to games, where they sometimes seems lost. For instance, we were 4-0 down at HT away at Stockport, then ending up 5-0 being the only game where we seemed to give up, but for Swindon at home, clawing back a 4-1 deficit at HT to finish the game 5-5. Crewe ended up a topsy-turvy game where we were constantly behind until the last minute but grabbed a 95th minute equaliser, and finally, Salford at home. Again, 2-1 down, we managed to score 2 goals in about 53 seconds to overturn a L to a W in some style.

Another positive, our home record. Apart from 3 defeats and 3 draws (2 mentioned above which felt like wins) is really impressive. We ended up with 54 points from our home games. Credit goes to Tranmere and Bradford who stopped us from scoring and ended up with 1-0 wins each, and Harrogate who also stopped us scoring and taking a point.

What went badly:
Having a keeper (Ben Foster) who came out of retirement to get promoted out of non-league, then came back from America 3 days before the season starting, then conceding 5 goals 3 times in the opening 2 months of the season (Foster was at fault for 2 of those), didn't exactly fill me with confidence of getting autos, although from my POV anything in the PO and above would have been classed as a successful season. Having crazy games in the first 2 months was utterly bizzare.

Not scoring enough goals away from home, averaging just over 1 a game which for a promoted side, isn't exactly great. Some performances away from home were far too conservative. Lee looked like he was playing LWB and sat far too deep at times, and our wingbacks weren't pushing forward as much compared to home games. Think we scored more than once only a handful of times, and scoring 3 times only twice. Away at Crewe (1 in the trophy) and Morecambe. Both teams were down to 10 men.

Injuries, absolutely incredible. I believe we have used 32 players this season, which is outrageous. We play a 352 and I think we've had about 13 different back 3 partnerships, which I find insane. Luckily, we have a deep squad and we can make use of players who are versatile.

Marks out of 10
I'd say 9.5/10. That half a point was not winning the league, but I personally never expected us to. Stockport over the last couple of years, have always been a year ahead in terms of rebuilding the club to progress to the next level. Credit to them for winning the league, thoroughly deserved it.

What needs to change
A lot of the players we have gathered over the last couple of seasons have been recruited to do exactly what the board would want to achieve, but I feel about 8 or 9 players will not be offered contracts as we look to build on next season. Some of the players are worthy league 2 players, and a couple could do a job for teams near the bottom of L1.

I'd settle for top half, as I feel this is where we belong. It's been one hell of a 19 year round trip. Football and the league has changed a lot since we were last in this division. I feel though with a fair few additions from players at the top of L1 and bottom of the Championship, we can challenge the top 6. Anything more would be incredible. If we do finish above 7th, then it'd be the highest we have ever finished since I have started following the club back in 1991.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town

• Started off averagely, had a dip towards the relegation zones, then pretty much stayed mid table the entire season.
  • Kept the majority of our L2 promotion side
  • Retained two of our best ever loanees in Kieron Bowie and Marc Leonard - Leonard to most being one of the most talented players to have played for us.
  • Continues to slowly evolve into a better footballing side and not just hoofball
  • Finally announced that the East Stand will be developed early 2025.

What went well:
  • We stayed up comfortably, delighted!
  • Improved overall performance
  • Jon Brady continues to do a stellar job
  • Moved into an improved training facility (decent enough for us)
  • Marc Leonard
What went badly:

• Danny Hylton
  • Injuries!!
  • Performances away to the big boys, got pummeled pretty much every time
Marks out of 10

For me it has to be around an 8. We seemed to be certain relegation candidates but were safe with weeks to go, had some great results along the way. A cup run would be enjoyable (Brady's cup record is atrocious) and continue to develop the style of play gradually.

What needs to change
  • Less injuries without a shadow of a doubt
  • Durability made a priority when signing players
  • More options at the top of the pitch
  • Strengthen the spine of the team

Anything close to matching this season's league performance would be fantastic. We seem to always struggle in the second season and inevitably go down so trying to become a settled L1 side is the aim. Think it will be harder next season as the league looks to be stronger overall.

Would like to see more of a focal point up top also as its something we have lacked for a little while. Need to keep Brady and the feel good factor around the club also, everyone seems united as it stands which is essential for us to stay up again.

Realistically see us around 17th next season.

I’d add the massively increased attendances to the positive column too but agree with everything else

Think it’s a big summer for us - need to recruit well through the spine as you as I fear we may well struggle. Goals the big priority.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Finished 3rd in league 2 after some near misses in previous seasons, we managed to get over the line this time, in what was probably the toughest league 2 we’ve been in - budget wise we were 6th/7th so probably over achieved, which was reflected in nigel clough winning manager of the year.

What went well:
We started the league unbeaten in 17 games which put us towards the top and we never really fell below 4th for the rest of it.

40 points away is a new record for us, and we equalled the (then) record of 47 away goals in a season, only for stockport to score 48!

We were fortunate to score goals from across the pitch and everyone chipped in which lead to some great wins especially away, winning 5-1 at bradford, then scoring 4 against MK, notts county, harrogate

Keeping flint fit in defence and pym in goal was a massive bonus.

What went badly:

Horrendous injuries at times during the year where we could barely field a team, got away with it this year but wouldn’t be so lucky next, played 15 or more games with a forward in defence.

Despite being 3rd highest scorers we were incredibly wasteful and was always highest on Xg (personally think it’s bollocks but hey) once more we won’t get the same chances next season and will need to be more clinical.

Marks out of 10
Id say 9.5. Stockport and wrexham were always my nailed on for promotion / stockport as they’d had a near miss the previous season and have a great manager, and wrexham due to vast resources which was easily bigger than anyone else’s in the division for a mile, having a close knit side led by a fantastic manager got us over the line.

What needs to change
Whereas we’ve done great technical players, we’ve a massive dearth of pace in the side, something the fans are aware of and clough had already mentioned, we’d need to step up on that front otherwise sides are going to cause us a lot of problems, especially in midfield.

Certainly a new holding forward/big man, lucas akins has done a wonderful job in league 2 but to be blunt we need better.

Whereas i don’t expect to finish above wrexham given the vast differences in resource i’d imagine we’d be more closely aligned to stockport, where we’d be looking at a midtable finish.

It’s hard to gauge as i’ve seen FG and carlisle come up and go straight back down, but i then look at northampton, cambridge and lincoln and think if they can, mansfield can, clearly their fans will know more about the league than myself (no disrespect intended if anyone saw that as a dig at their respective club). I think they’ll be times we get some good hidings, but it’s about picking up enough to keep away from the relegation zone.

Last edited:

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
It’s hard to gauge as i’ve seen FG and carlisle come up and go straight back down, but i then look at northampton, cambridge and lincoln and think if they can, mansfield can, clearly their fans will know more about the league than myself (no disrespect intended if anyone saw that as a dig other respective club). I think they’ll be times we get some good hidings, but it’s about picking up enough to keep away from the relegation zone.

We’re all a similar size as clubs so it’s a fair comparison I think

I was surprised for us that when we played the bottom end of the league there was no discernible change in quality from L2, we had a great record at home against the bottom 8-10 clubs and that is what made it so comfortable. Saying that, we got hidings against a few of the top 6 and that was where the gulf in class was really apparent, we didn’t have a kick away at Derby/Pompey/Peterborough and it looked like a cup tie.

I think the three who came up automatically will do fine if the home form holds up.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

After a mediocre season last time, Pompey moved quickly in the recruitment drive. "Marquee" signings like Regan Poole and Gavin Whyte came in while the likes of Conor Shaughnessy and Abu Kamara arrived to little fanfare.

We started slowly but went top of the league in September and, barring one week, stayed there for the entirety of the season. Went unbeaten until November, scoring a slew of late equalisers/winners and producing a fair few comebacks too.

Whenever key players got injured, others stepped up and despite a mini-slump over the festive period, Rich Hughes and John Mousinho were backed to recruit the players required to sustain a promotion challenge. After a shocking 3-0 home defeat to Orient, Pompey went on another long unbeaten run and won the title with two games to spare.

What went well:

Most of the recruitment. Scully and Whyte didn't deliver but Norris and Shaughnessy made the League One team of the season, two loanees in Kamara and Robertson were outstanding for this level and nearly squad member contributed when they were called upon.

The winning mentality of this team is ridiculous. Claimed 25 points from losing positions, only lost 5 times all season (and the last defeat was when the team were still hungover) and only conceded 14 goals away from home.

What went badly:

Nothing, really. When key players were injured (which was often), others either stepped up or were signed to replace the fallen.

Marks out of 10:

10 - to win the league with two games to spare despite the injury nightmare and the traditional festive slump is nothing short of incredible.

What needs to change:

Nothing if all goes to plan. I back our recruitment team to sign the players required to stay in the Championship and we have one of the best young managers in the country to guide us.

Consolidate our position in the Championship. A season without a relegation battle would be seen as a considerable success.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

We went up from League 2 at the first time of asking. 2nd favourites going in and finished 2nd so matched expectations from others

What went well:

- Mullin became unplayable at the business end of the season, again. 9 goals in the last 8 games.

- Cannon and Cleworth both improved immensely. The latter is probably our most valuable asset now, we need to tie him down.

- We finally signed a goalkeeper to match the ability of the squad who isn't 40 or crocked, albeit on loan.

- Mullin and Lee were tied down to longer team deals.

- Temporary kop built allowing over 2000 more supporters in.

What went badly:

- Poor start to the season after arguably spending too long in the states.

- Mullin suffered a punctured lung in the states and struggled for a while to get up to speed after missing the start of the season.

- Injury crisis for parts of the season. We need less crocks.

Marks out of 10:

10. Back to back promotions, I've got no complaints.

What needs to change:

We aren't kidding ourselves, we know it's a serious step up to L1 and we need some big talent brought in to improve the side. I expect we'll be fishing for Championship quality players to make a good go at it, we won't be in L1 just to make up the numbers.

I expect a new striker to partner Mullin, some have rumoured Langstaff but I feel we won't be that on the nose. I think we'll also provide competition for Elliott Lee and George Evans in midfield, and replace some out the outgoing defenders. We'll probably bring in a LWB too.

Ideally we'll keep Okonkwo, but he's got Premier League and Championship interest and isn't our player. We'll need a replacement if he departs.

Finally, I'd like more youth in the side. Ourselves and Mansfield had distinctly old squads last season. Some forward planning will be needed with our transfers. We need to be ruthless with our outgoings too, some of the more senior players who have serves us well (Luke Young, Ben Tozer) may find themselves being released.

Fighting play-offs. We'll come up with a significant budget, but not enough to challenge the top 2 in one go. We won't have more than Huddersfield and whoever comes down with them.

We have some top talent in the team who I expect to thrive next season. I expect Mullin will bag at least 20 goals again for instance, but some will struggle with the step-up.

Our signings will make or break it, I feel there's enough talent there to manage a mid-table finish as we are but if the rumours of our transfer budget next season are true, we mean business.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient

We played really well in our opening 3 games and lost them all, before going on a solid run of just two defeats in 14 to establish ourselves back in the division.

Just as we had star striker Dan Agyei back in training after a pre-season injury, both of our wingers got horrifically injured (Jordan Graham for the season, Theo Archibald probably for his career) and we went to shit until Xmas.

When Agyei finally got up to speed we won 9 of the next 13 to shoot ourselves into the playoff conversation. Then he got injured again and we meandered to a comfortable 11th-place finish. Mustn’t grumble for our first season back post-B*******i, but there is a nagging sentiment amongst the faithful that we could have sprung a surprise had the injury bug not claimed so many key contributors.

What went well:

We played some nice stuff and took points off of 8 of the 10 teams that finished above us, including slapping the champions about at Fratton.

Richie Wellens finally established his credentials at this level having previously struggled to do so with Swindon and Donny. He worked miracles with a young squad shorn of many of its best players for significant periods of the season.

Young midfielders Jordan Brown and Ethan Galbraith really impressed in their first seasons at this level and should form the backbone of the side going forward.

What went badly:

Have I mentioned the injuries? Other than that it’s safe to say that the Joe Piggott signing didn’t work out. The glue factory awaits. And if we could stop losing 3-0 to Satanage I’d be very grateful.

Marks out of 10:

9/10. All expectations met in trying circumstances.

What needs to change:

I’d like us to be a little less reliant on the loan market. Difficult for a club of our size at this level but one or two more good quality senior pros would have made a big difference. Oh and if Vigs wants to stop cosplaying as a Premier League player by being Burnley’s 5th choice keeper and come back home that would be super.

On another note, we need to get 18% shareholder and vampire investor Coley Parry as far away from the club as possible. He’s in the process of completely fucking up Vitesse and I’d rather he didn’t do it to us as well.

Another year of upper mid-table comfort, developing the youngsters and having a few entertaining results at the expense of the big clubs (& Wrexham) would be grand. If Wellens gets poached I’d take 20th in a heartbeat.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury

- Transitional season for us after Cotterill allegedly spunked more budget than he was given last season hence why he left. DOF and a young, inexperienced head coach in Matt Taylor arrived as we tried to penny pinch.

- The experience, or lack of rather, in Matt Taylor’s case wasn’t going to plan and we were the lowest scorers in the football league. Fans unhappy and forced a change so what better way to do it than being back one of Salop’s best ever managers in Paul Hurst.

- Home form under Hurst has been atrocious and relegation form yet our away form is promotion form.

- Scoring more goals under Hurst but could do better, especially at home.

What went well:

- Paul Hurst returning to the club.

- We stayed up and are now officially the longest serving League One club. Next season will be our 10th consecutive season.

- Reaching atleast the FA Cup 3rd round for seven consecutive seasons running.

What went badly:

- Mickey Moore, Matt Taylor, Marcus Bignot.

- Not creating chances or scoring many goals.

- Loans have been some of the worst I’ve ever known.

- Relegation battle.

Marks out of 10:

2/10. Should never have been in this situation. Only reason the season gets a couple of points is because of Paul Hurst returning and Jack Price joining.

What needs to change:

Ideally, we need a new owner. Roland has been chairman for 28 years now but he’s not getting any younger and him trusting Steve Cotterill only for him to fuck us over has ultimately led us to this shambolic campaign.

We need to get rid of as many players from this season as we possibly can, thankfully Hurst has been ruthless with the retain list although I’m hoping one or two don’t sign our contract offers as he hasn’t been ruthless enough for my liking.

Impossible to say without seeing who’s signing the contract extension offers and who’s not as well as new signings. As well as a potential new American owner waiting in the wings. But as it stands with Roland as chairman and Paul Hurst in charge I would expect somewhere between 16th and 10th. Maybe Hurst can produce second season magic again and pull off another wonder season, who knows.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
First half of the season we played with no strikers due to injuries, were bottom for pretty much every attacking metric available, sacked the manager after he started calling players out, appointed a new manager, limped to January and then in the second half of the season picked up an extrapolated points accumulation of 104 points to take the PO charge to the final day having been 19 points off the pace (and played two more than Stevenage as well).

What went well:
  • Second best defence in the league
  • Best home defence in the league
  • Joint most clean sheets
  • My OCD enjoyed our home and away records being identical (10-7-6)
  • 5-1, 5-0, 6-0 was a nice three game run
  • Skubala bringing some excitement back to Sincil Bank
  • Watching Ethan Erhahon, probably the best permanent signing we've made for many years. A genuinely very good footballer and only 22
  • Having three Academy kids each playing a fair amount of L1 football for us
What went badly:
  • We had no strikers for the first half of the season
  • We had no midfielders for the second half of the season
  • No sooner had we got a player back, we lost another
  • Mark Kennedy's dull and risk averse football stalling our progression for his 18 month tenure
Marks out of 10:
Mark Kennedy - 2
Michael Skubala - 9

What needs to change:
More squad depth and better luck with injuries really, that's what killed us over the season. It's a decent squad we have, it's closer to the second half of the season we've had than the first. We also don't really know Skubala's preferred formation, he stuck with the one that suited the squad we have and adapted.

Probably similar to this to be honest. We can't pay the L1 big money, either in fees or wages and we can't carry a squad of 25 so we'll be relying on a smallish squad again and a bit of luck with injuries. It'll be a more competitive league next season with the three coming up, Rotherham coming down, Charlton won't underperform as badly again etc so we'll do well to get in the PO's in my opinion.

We'll find it very difficult to replace Joe Taylor though, not just for his goals and dribbling ability but his pace and actually knowing how to use it unlike some glorified sprinters you come across in the lower leagues.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
We'll find it very difficult to replace Joe Taylor though, not just for his goals and dribbling ability but his pace and actually knowing how to use it unlike some glorified sprinters you come across in the lower leagues.

This kind of behaviour should be enough to get a player banned from the lower leagues, "glorified sprinters" are the bread and butter down here and never forget it.

We signed a player once, Fola Onibuje, who literally was fast and nothing else, and yes, I think he had been a competitive sprinter as a kid.

See the spectacular journeyman record as he bounced from club to club!

No idea how he scored a full 9 goals for Cambridge though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fola_Onibuje

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
This kind of behaviour should be enough to get a player banned from the lower leagues, "glorified sprinters" are the bread and butter down here and never forget it.

We signed a player once, Fola Onibuje, who literally was fast and nothing else, and yes, I think he had been a competitive sprinter as a kid.

See the spectacular journeyman record as he bounced from club to club!

No idea how he scored a full 9 goals for Cambridge though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fola_Onibuje
We once had a "striker" called Gavin McCallum, who demanded we recruit a sprint coach for him. Unsurprisingly, this was in the season we got relegated to the Conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!