Luton vs Swindon

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Heard it got a bit tasty before the game.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
If your idea of tasty is 15 year olds with bad hair having a tiff, sure.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Yeah - our knobhead support seems to have grown substantially lately.

#Beebot

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet, Maidenhead
Swindon were atrocious against us last week, a complete abomination. I don't know what is going on at Luton but this is a disastrous result.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
It's the London philharmonic orchestra being conducted by a first year musical student who hasn't got a clue how to bring out a decent tune.....

Lambourn Red

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
One of those where the sending off changes the game. Nothing really happened for either sides until that point. I was at the wrong end so didn't see sending off, heard handball or shirt pulling. Anybody clarify? If it's the later then how the ref missed one on Collins two minutes later is ridiculous.
Very naive reaction, threw another striker on rather than try and hang in there. Then got caught on the break whilst pushing on.
Ref missed another pen for us early second half, how that handball wasn't given is beyond me.
I've said before if we go up it will be in spite of our defense. 4 penalties given away in last 8 games, 3 by Cuthbert. Needs to be addressed.

Attachments

• cuthbert.jpg
    cuthbert.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 109

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Wow, that was a painful afternoon for a number of reasons. We obviously haven't gotten over the inconsistency of last season as that is now 2-2-2.

Don't think I can have any complaints about the first two goals, but probably would've been defended had we had the extra man. That said, it was a quality, quality finish from the outside of his boot.

The third goal - was there not a clear foul in the build up?

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
What was he thinking. The ref got that spot on, which was a bit of a rarity this afternoon.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I saw Sheehan and Potts having a go at the ref, think Sheehan made an elbow type motion to the ref but must admit I didn't see anything that I felt was too untoward.

Clear foul by Cuthbert there and deserved red. Didn't get a clear view of it at the time but thought it must have been fairly indisputable as he didn't say anything when the card went up!

I don't get Cuthbert or indeed our defence in general really. At times he looks so solid defensively and the next you know he's ballsed up and given away a penalty or some other clanger and were a goal down having looked safe as houses. Seems like our whole defence is like that.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Swindon were atrocious against us last week, a complete abomination. I don't know what is going on at Luton but this is a disastrous result.
A lot of sides, us included, are settling down. Large influx of new players leads to inconsistent results.

Both us and Luton will be up there come season's end.

djs

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Absolutely nothing positive to say about this.
From the manager, wrong team selection, wrong tactics, wrong substitutions.
From the players, difficult to say that anyone played anywhere near average, let alone well. Did any of them manage to pass to a teammate all afternoon? What the hell was the constant stream of hoofs aimed at the Swindon defenders? (Collins was doing his nut toward the end when the umpteenth long ball flew over his head) Why oh why do we continue to give away needless free-kicks all over the pitch? And why can't Cuthbert keep his hands off opponents?
I usually don't like identifying individuals, but seriously, what does Pelly have to do to get dropped? On his day he can be unplayable, but they only seem to come along once in a blue moon.
I don't buy the moans about the ref either. Yes he got a few decisions wrong, who doesn't?, but overall I've seen a lot worse. Another ref would have sent McCormack off for persistent fouling.

Finally the opposition. Swindon were the better side, on and off the pitch. Played to their strengths, and capitalised on our frailties.

Things can only get better after that, but Jones can be stubborn at times and I'm not over-confident that he will make the right choices on Tuesday.

Smurf

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Pros

McCormack is quality and Cornick is going to be a good player for us.

The penalty decision was spot on (only saw how clear it was after the game). No complaints from Cuthbert at the time meant something had happened that he knew about.

Cons

The ref was absolutely woeful. Gave us a few token fouls but was not consistent. Swindon at times were kicking lumps out of us with no action. Only gave us anything when the game was over i.e. 5 mins to go.

The midfield diamond. Anyone name me any side that has won anything with this at any kind of proffessional level in the last 5 years? Our midfield is toothless again but quality on paper.

NJ - I like the guy but he cocks up so many of his tactics and subs. And that is practically his job. No plan B. Think he is in danger of getting found out - however I do want us to stick with him.

Swindon were ok. But we were just bad and the ref aided their cause. He also dished out a red in the last game he reffed us vs Crewe away last year. Clear foul in their third goal not given too.

Our defence is awful. Rea has piss poor distribution and so many times gets caught out of position or not closing when needed - i.e. Swindons second. Cuthbert has given away 3 pens in his last 7 games for us. He isnt clever enough to get away with shirt pulling and sly digs that others do and smarter players and strikers play on it. Shown also in the play off games laat season. He is a bang average league 2 defender for me who had a good 2nd half of the season last year. Will head away and block for fun but cant actually man mark or keep up with anyone with an inkling of pace.

Pelly - how did he stay on the pitch for 90?! Offered bugger all and i didnt see him make many passes to our team all game. And the biggest piss take is him making a mistake and then doing bugger all to correct it and lets other players mop it up for him. Park level stuff. He has one good game in every 5 and id like to see him have a spell out as an impact sub and swap him over for Berry.

Thought - why are refs not routinely interviewed with say a local journo from either side at the end of the game? Id rather see a ref hold his hands up to a cock up instead of the current shit system. No refs are accountable for a vad game and seemingly no action is ever taken against them. So far this season ive said 'Jesus this ref is awful' only for the next one to get worse.

Miserable as it may seem all is not lost. This one will be filed under one to forget and shouldnt knock us too much as long as we learn from it and bloody quick. No better game to play at the moment than port vale at home on a tuesday night under the Kenny lights to correct it.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Got to say, we've been consistently poor for a couple of seasons now but I don't think our fans have ever shown quite as much angst over one poor result as you lot.

Today you were just the same as our last 2 home 'performances'. Maybe your expectations have been raised with your recruitment and opening day result. But it's just one bad day at the office.

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
I didn't see what happened originally for the penatly but after viewing it again, several times, I think it was harsh. Cuthburt lunges at the ball misses it and the Swindon player behind does likewise. The ball may have struck him on the hand but not deliberate and the Swindon striker definately wasnt brought down by Cuthberts challenge. They were clearly both trying to do the same thing. At worst a penatly but not deliberate enough to warrant a sending off. Coming back from a goal down with 11 men would have been a lot easier but with 10 very difficult. Second half we conceded a very sloppy second allowing their scorer to run through unchallanged. Then it was game over. NJ looked thoroughly sickened during the after match interview and no wonder. The management and the players need to find the solution to our inconsistant performances. Today there were too many lost challenges and misplaced passes as well as aimless punts upfield to our strikers who seemed very frustrated. Our strengths are quick passing getting wide and creating chances for our forwards with the midfield supporting. Didn't do any of that today. Justin back in the team Tuesday to give our defence more stability. More urgency and less focus on passing the ball around at the back before launching aimless balls upfield.
I expect a reaction on Tuesday. If it doesn't come then I feel the fans might start voting with their feet. Only 7,5k home fans today and there will be a lot less Tuesday. The board have supported NJ with the money to buy a quality squad. Its time the management and players start repaying the faith.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The midfield diamond. Anyone name me any side that has won anything with this at any kind of proffessional level in the last 5 years?

Juventus ripped up Serie A playing a diamond a couple of years ago, and around the same time Liverpool were smashing the Premiershite to bits using it (although they ultimately fell short in hilarious style). It was really in-vogue for a couple of years around then with loads of teams using it (when Jones was cutting his teeth as a coach) but does seem to have been discarded almost entirely by top level teams in the last 18 months or so - you could say we're a little late to the party on this one.

No point going on about it though, the squad has been built from scratch with the diamond/3-5-2 in mind, as long as Jones has a hole in his arse he won't play with wide players and that's that.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I didn't see what happened originally for the penatly but after viewing it again, several times, I think it was harsh. Cuthburt lunges at the ball misses it and the Swindon player behind does likewise. The ball may have struck him on the hand but not deliberate and the Swindon striker definately wasnt brought down by Cuthberts challenge.

It wasn't given for handball, it was given for the blatant and deliberate shirt pull that stopped the Swindon player scoring an open goal (the picture is above and is about as decisive evidence as it gets really).

Cuthbert didn't even begin to argue the decision, in fact he was taking off the armband to give to Sheehan before the ref had even got his card out. He knew what he'd done.

Smurf

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Juve ripped up serie A playing the Conte 3 4 3 - the same as the italian national team. And I believe Liverpool mostly used a 4 2 3 1 that year - Stevie G and his famous 'we dont let this schlip now!' speech.

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Hadn't seen that. I'd played the video back several times and could only see a tussle which isn't uncommon in the penaly area. No doubt though that the decision changed the game. Thought we had the better of the first half until then and didn't think Swindon posed a threat. Second half was awful though even if we did have 10 men as an excuse.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Juve ripped up serie A playing the Conte 3 4 3 - the same as the italian national team. And I believe Liverpool mostly used a 4 2 3 1 that year - Stevie G and his famous 'we dont let this schlip now!' speech.

Juve mostly played the diamond under Allegri when they pissed the Serie A (which they do quite a lot to be fair) and got to the Champion's League final, couple of seasons ago now. That Liverpool team played a mix but they hit their best form with the diamond, which was designed to get Sturridge and Suarez both in their favoured central positions. They were pretty bloody good at it too but you could argue that Suarez was that good that season he carried the team regardless of formation.

It is fair to say that no top teams really play it now as far as I am aware, it went through a renaissance in that little period (2014/2015) but has been more or less discarded at the top level since.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Got to say, we've been consistently poor for a couple of seasons now but I don't think our fans have ever shown quite as much angst over one poor result as you lot.

Today you were just the same as our last 2 home 'performances'. Maybe your expectations have been raised with your recruitment and opening day result. But it's just one bad day at the office.

Yes we are spoiled somewhat. Or as spoilt as you can be at this level, but I think it's just frustration more than anything. You see the signings that have been made this season, the backing the board have given a passionate manager and we have already seen how well we can play this season and it just doesn't get reproduced on anything like a consistent enough basis. It doesn't help that its the same things that keep tripping us up, the general lack of consistency, and tactical issues that have been the same for a good while now, that caused us to fall short last season and yesterday was really an echo of all that again. I said in my post yesterday that if we started dropping points at home it starts that nagging doubt about it looking like last season, its obviously still very, very early to make a judgement like that but it the doubt creeps in, and I think thats what is causing the concern.

I think when we've been shit in the past I've got to a point where I'm fairly ambivalent about things and accepting of it, it's the fact we have shown ourselves to be better and are coming up against some of the same problems that causes all the introspection, and angst as you put it, as we are close to be being a top team but seem to fall short of it with the same stuff.

And bottom line is, with the good summer we have had, the start to the season can now be definitively said to be pretty average, even with the 8-2!

Or that's my 2 pence on it anyway.

PiedPiper

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
It wasn't given for handball, it was given for the blatant and deliberate shirt pull that stopped the Swindon player scoring an open goal (the picture is above and is about as decisive evidence as it gets really).

Cuthbert didn't even begin to argue the decision, in fact he was taking off the armband to give to Sheehan before the ref had even got his card out. He knew what he'd done.

If it was for denying a goal scoring opportunity and a penalty was given shouldn't it have been a booking?

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Bloody hell didn't expect a 3-0 away win against a team with a number of ex Swindon players involved! Looks like the sending off was crucial.

The Efes will taste better this week!

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Cuthbert blows hot and cold but is always gonna be a liability due to his amateurish/man handling ways of defending...gotta get rid.....
smelly mpansy......over rated waste of space......gotta get rid......
Nathan jones.....his potential for future stardom....sinking by the season......gotta get rid......

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
It's the London philharmonic orchestra being conducted by a first year musical student who hasn't got a clue how to bring out a decent tune.....
Cuthbert blows hot and cold but is always gonna be a liability due to his amateurish/man handling ways of defending...gotta get rid.....
smelly mpansy......over rated waste of space......gotta get rid......
Nathan jones.....his potential for future stardom....sinking by the season......gotta get rid......

Cant agree Oaky. Even if you feel Jones should go, I don't, what would be the point? It's his team now, playing his way. If you replace him at this point you are tearing everything up and starting again. You may as well write the season off.
People are prone to over reaction. We have a great squad, were fantastic against Colchester and Yeovil, unlucky to not take anything from Barnet and strong away at Lincoln and Mansfield. Yesterday is the only massively poor performance of the season (could maybe add Barnet in there) and that is mitigated by the red card and pen. Yes there are issues, the defense isn't what it should be, but there's not a lot you can do about that now. I fully believe we will go up this year as when it clicks we could go on a run akin to the Conference promotion season. To get rid of Jones would be brainless.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The defensive issues should have been a priority and addressed at any cost.....
The keeper is a god send
Our forward and midfield line should be good enough to beat anyone
We have no captain material....
If we don't beat port vale on Tuesday....jones is a dead man walking

Posh Red

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Twitter
@posh_red
Bloody hell didn't expect a 3-0 away win against a team with a number of ex Swindon players involved! Looks like the sending off was crucial.

The Efes will taste better this week!

But presumably you still think Flitcroft is insane ;)

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
But presumably you still think Flitcroft is insane ;)

I didn't personally think 4-2-4 was a great plan but that's why I am not working in football management.

He still needs to work out the home quandary and I think the midfield still requires work, but an impressive start to be fair to him.

Posh Red

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Twitter
@posh_red
He still needs to work out the home quandary and I think the midfield still requires work, but an impressive start to be fair to him.

I think our problem is that we lack a creative player in midfield, and don't have much pace at the back.

This means that we are ripe for the counter attack if a team sits in against us, so unless we score first at home are always likely to be susceptible.

Ironically thats also what we are good at away. Even more so we now have plenty of pace up front.

TBF yesterday Mullin & (to a lesser extent) Woolery did plenty of tracking back to cover, but also gave us plenty of options on the counter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!