Luton v Notts - batelino de campiones

Fozzie's Headband

Reaction score
Supports
Lu'on
Honours even - let’s go again! Now a few beers before watching Seattle muller Toronto in the MLS cup! Fair play Notts C. Entertaining.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Apparently it was so cold in Luton that they couldn’t cut the grass as short as usual. This obviously made it a leveller and Notts County took their chance to bridge the gulf.

AFaceInTheCrowd

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Delighted with that brilliant game Notts and Luton both good teams think the draw was a fair result. Great to have beers with the Luton fans in Dunstable when our coach stopped cracking set of lads if they read this forum!

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
1-1 was I think fair and am reasonably happy with that. Slight tinge of disappointment given that the equaliser came from our own error.

Love Stech but that’s a couple of times he has rushed out and not got anywhere near the ball. Think we all knew going in that we might concede that sort of goal though so not entirely surprised.

Pre game chatting to a few mates and we all thought 1-1 would be the likely outcome.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Said I’d take a point before he game and happy with it after. Exeter losing means both clubs increase the gap to the playoffs group.

The draw means it’s ok to say it was an enjoyable game of football. Two different styles on show, is preferring to play it around whilst County were organised and direct without playing hoofball.

County battered us for 20 minutes, hitting Ameobi whenever possible. As expected we did struggle with the balls into the box and and corners but defended well.

Somehow won a header to put us 1-0 up against the run of play. We then took control until the last 5 minutes or so of the half when County came back.

Started the second half well but couldn’t create anything clearcut. Like our goal, County’s equaliser was against the run of play and was predictably a long freekick into the box to Ameobi that we didn’t deal with. Stech came out to far and caught in no mans land. Frustrating as the freekick came for a foul on Ameobi when about 20 seconds previously an identical foul wasn’t given on Hylton.

Was a bit back and forth after the goal with us probably shading it. Alessanda did well on the ball when he came on, tidy little player.

Could and should have won it in extra time, bizarrely another corner we caused problems from. Mullins shot blocked with a point blank reaction savw from the County keeper.

All in all, good result for both sides with Exeter losing and Stanley not playing.

Final thoughts. County are the best side we have played by some way. Swindon did a job on us but we’d had an early sending off there. Organised and know their game well, Nolan has done a good job. Both sides will be promoted, it’s just a case of in which order.

Couple of little moans. County fans disappointing. Returned tickets and then were anonymous even when they were on top early doors. Only god involved when they scored and even then didn’t last.

Pathetic dive from the number 22 in his own box to try and win a foul from Elliot Lee. Ref gave it as a corner for us so acknowledged there was no foul there yet didn’t book him or give what presumably would have been an indirect freekick in the box? A few minutes later the 6 went down under a none challenge and laid there until possession was turned over before jumping up and charging onward. Part of the game now I suppose but you don’t like to see it. Ref rightfully has a word but, like his approach most of the afternoon, was reluctant to get his cards out.

Probably the right result, may have been harsh on County if we had won it at the death. Both clubs 6 points clear of the playoffs and moving in the right direction.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Bit of an odd feeling post match really. Notts well worthy of a point over the 90 but felt they were less threatening second half and the goal we conceded was so unnecessary, howler from Stech who was flappy all day. We didn't create any genuine openings from open play but had two glorious chances from corners in the second half, good save from the keeper right at the death but Mullins should have buried it really. So that makes it a bit more disappointing than it otherwise would have been as a draw is a fair reflection overall.

Bit disappointing that we didn't really turn up in an attacking sense in a big game again too but you have to give credit to County for that as they defended well.

Still top of the league and that'll do me nicely.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Said I’d take a point before he game and happy with it after. Exeter losing means both clubs increase the gap to the playoffs group.

The draw means it’s ok to say it was an enjoyable game of football. Two different styles on show, is preferring to play it around whilst County were organised and direct without playing hoofball.

County battered us for 20 minutes, hitting Ameobi whenever possible. As expected we did struggle with the balls into the box and and corners but defended well.

Somehow won a header to put us 1-0 up against the run of play. We then took control until the last 5 minutes or so of the half when County came back.

Started the second half well but couldn’t create anything clearcut. Like our goal, County’s equaliser was against the run of play and was predictably a long freekick into the box to Ameobi that we didn’t deal with. Stech came out to far and caught in no mans land. Frustrating as the freekick came for a foul on Ameobi when about 20 seconds previously an identical foul wasn’t given on Hylton.

Was a bit back and forth after the goal with us probably shading it. Alessanda did well on the ball when he came on, tidy little player.

Could and should have won it in extra time, bizarrely another corner we caused problems from. Mullins shot blocked with a point blank reaction savw from the County keeper.

All in all, good result for both sides with Exeter losing and Stanley not playing.

Final thoughts. County are the best side we have played by some way. Swindon did a job on us but we’d had an early sending off there. Organised and know their game well, Nolan has done a good job. Both sides will be promoted, it’s just a case of in which order.

Couple of little moans. County fans disappointing. Returned tickets and then were anonymous even when they were on top early doors. Only god involved when they scored and even then didn’t last.

Pathetic dive from the number 22 in his own box to try and win a foul from Elliot Lee. Ref gave it as a corner for us so acknowledged there was no foul there yet didn’t book him or give what presumably would have been an indirect freekick in the box? A few minutes later the 6 went down under a none challenge and laid there until possession was turned over before jumping up and charging onward. Part of the game now I suppose but you don’t like to see it. Ref rightfully has a word but, like his approach most of the afternoon, was reluctant to get his cards out.

Probably the right result, may have been harsh on County if we had won it at the death. Both clubs 6 points clear of the playoffs and moving in the right direction.

The “foul” on Hylton wasn’t even 20 seconds, the ball to Ameobi literally came to him after the centre half had won it off Hylton. Very frustrating as it was literally the same foul within about 2 seconds of eachother, one given the other not.

Still should have defended the free kick better so sort of a moot point

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Thought both teams’ goals came from dubious set pieces, 0-0 was probably a fairer reflection than 1-1 as both teams defended very well.

Just looked the two best teams in the league to me, to be honest. Contrasting styles but both very effective.

Hopefully we can both get it done by the last day!

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The “foul” on Hylton wasn’t even 20 seconds, the ball to Ameobi literally came to him after the centre half had won it off Hylton. Very frustrating as it was literally the same foul within about 2 seconds of eachother, one given the other not.

Still should have defended the free kick better so sort of a moot point

Yea suspected if may have been sooner but gave myself some leeway. Disappointing from Stech however I always felt they may score from something like that and he and the rest of the defense were imperious until that point.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Also, did anyone see Sheehan getting the ball lobbed at him from the away end in the first half? That was Liam Noble. :bl:

Did see that. He caught it and had a few words I think?

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Fair result I think.

Notts County obviously didn't learn the lesson from the previous set piece, as from the opposite side Mullins was allowed the freedom of the six yard box - its just the corner didn't reach him. And then from the opposite side, Mullins is unmarked again to head in. Its worth mentioning that Sheehan's corner was about a yard outside of the corner "D", not picked up by the officials.

Pretty poor goal for us to concede; it is probably the reason why Stech isn't playing at least in the Championship right now as that's not the first time his set piece goalkeeping has been sloppy. That is his only weakness, and it has cost us today.

Notts were certainly an effective team - they could play both ways, but set up to frustrate. Celebrating a 1-1 draw at the end as they did was a bit cringeworthy I thought.

Pie and chips

Reaction score
Supports
Notts county
Great point for us today the two best teams in the league would have taken that before the game and a fair result.

Bosox

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Yep, everyone reasonably happy with the point, would be surprised if this isn't a League 1 fixture next season.

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Bit disappointed with the performance and result today. Again we fail to win a game at home against a potential promotion rival. Today would have been a big statement but instead it makes me have a small doubt about our ability to win when it really matters. Sure County played well and knew how to play to their strenghts however Stech mistake and a few fairly easy chances we didn't put away made me question our mental strength in these type of games. We are however still in a strong position thanks mainly to the fact that the teams below us can't put any run together. Coventrys, Exeter and Mansfields defeats today being good examples. If we continue to perform well against the lower and middle table teams then it gives us the edge. Our next two fixtures are type of games we do well in. Shame that a sell out crowd couldn't be rewarded with the win.

djs

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Didn't think that I'd ever seen a corner kick taken from so far out of the arc as the one that Sheehan put onto Mullins head.........until the next one which was even further out!
Naturally, without no oppo fans at that end to point it out to the Ref, he didn't notice.
Mind you, that wasn't the only thing that he didn't notice.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
Also, did anyone see Sheehan getting the ball lobbed at him from the away end in the first half? That was Liam Noble. :bl:

Completely forgot we'd signed Noble until I read this. Where the fuck does he fit into this side? Doesn't have the legs or defensive discipline to get in a midfield 2 ahead of Yates, Hewitt or Milsom. I remember us experimenting with him as a winger in his first stint here for that very reason and he was rubbish there so...

Money should have gone on a proper winger or another option up-front.

Ah well. Good point. Well Done all. Surprised Big Kev Nolan didn't pull some stunt to get a stadium ban for Boxing Day, next week maybe.

AFaceInTheCrowd

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Noble was sat in front of me absolutely bizarre to see him launch it at an Sheehan and them exchange verbals. Head had gone both were nibbling when a corner was taken.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Fair result I think.

Notts County obviously didn't learn the lesson from the previous set piece, as from the opposite side Mullins was allowed the freedom of the six yard box - its just the corner didn't reach him. And then from the opposite side, Mullins is unmarked again to head in. Its worth mentioning that Sheehan's corner was about a yard outside of the corner "D", not picked up by the officials.

Pretty poor goal for us to concede; it is probably the reason why Stech isn't playing at least in the Championship right now as that's not the first time his set piece goalkeeping has been sloppy. That is his only weakness, and it has cost us today.

Notts were certainly an effective team - they could play both ways, but set up to frustrate. Celebrating a 1-1 draw at the end as they did was a bit cringeworthy I thought.

The Bobbers Stand alone means you are in no position to talk about ‘cringeworthy’ it’s an embarrassment, a double glazing advertisement at best. No place for it in league football IMO.

Players dive, players and fans celebrate. It happens ;)

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Thought the substitution of Lee for Collins was quite interesting. Lee looked thoroughly pissed off when he went off and think that’s pretty understandable given he looked very lively all day and was having a much better game than Hylton who I think was well shackled

Understand Jones reasoning for it, hoping something would fall for Collins in the box who is probably the better finisher, but personally felt Hylton would have been the better option to come off.

As for a Hylton he was well shackled all day but he did have one little moment where he got away and ran toward goal to get a shot off that was blocked, thought the better option would have been to Square it to Berry who was very well placed and potentially could have got a better shot off than Hylton eventually did. Interestingly I also thought Hylton looked a bit pissed off at the end too but could be reading a bit too much into that.

On the basis of recent performances I’d like to see Lee retain his place over Collins.

As for other performances thought Potts and in particularly Berry were excellent too. Really like berry who seems a very clever player. Not playing the role I expected him too when he signed but what impresses me about him is the non flashy stuff he does, like winning the ball back, winning headers and getting on second balls. Got that as well as being a very decent player on ball who rarely picks the wrong pass. Dont he has got that much attention in this little run we’ve had because I think people expected a few more goals from him but i think the role he is playing he is doing excellently

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Agree completely about Berry, he's not the star with a team built around him like he was at Cambridge but he's gone about his new role brilliantly in recent weeks. Must be the fittest player in the squad, hurtles up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

Noble was sat in front of me absolutely bizarre to see him launch it at an Sheehan and them exchange verbals. Head had gone both were nibbling when a corner was taken.

Did Sheehan clock who it was or just think it was a random fan?

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Completely forgot we'd signed Noble until I read this. Where the fuck does he fit into this side? Doesn't have the legs or defensive discipline to get in a midfield 2 ahead of Yates, Hewitt or Milsom. I remember us experimenting with him as a winger in his first stint here for that very reason and he was rubbish there so...

Money should have gone on a proper winger or another option up-front.

Ah well. Good point. Well Done all. Surprised Big Kev Nolan didn't pull some stunt to get a stadium ban for Boxing Day, next week maybe.

Presuming O'Connor comes back at some point, too...

Pie and chips

Reaction score
Supports
Notts county
Assuming we are the 1st and 2nd teams come the last game of the season that game could be interesting and the atmosphere electric so let's hope so.

Youpies

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
That was a very entertaining game. While I’m very happy with a point, I thought we did enough to win it. We really stifled Luton. Other than Fitszimmons great save, I can’t really remember another time we were really troubled

Our finishing yesterday was poor. We had a fair few good chances and couldn’t test Stech. I’m sure Nolan will also be upset that we conceded from a set piece. Not quite sure how Ameobi got done on that one.

Hewitt was fantastic, my man of the match. He’s finally starting to look like a midfielder who can distribute and tackle. Also thought Dickinson probably had his best game in a Notts shirt.

Luton have some real quality and will win the League, we need some good reinforcements but on that showing, we will be there abouts

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Assuming we are the 1st and 2nd teams come the last game of the season that game could be interesting and the atmosphere electric so let's hope so.
I'd be pretty certain 1st and 2nd would already be decided by that point.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
As someone who has serious doubts on our managers ability to outwit others who have a plan a b and c in order to stop us... I have faith that we have at least enough strength in depth to see out the remaining games and cling on to a promotion place.....
I doubt if notts county can escape the inevitability of injuries and squad upheaval that will see them do the same....
Shame....they are a decent team...
But....a decent squad??
Can’t see it...

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Don’t think we match up to your level of depth at all, which is way ahead of anyone else, but I think we’ve got enough to hold on to a top three position.

We’ve been without our captain for the entire season and Collin, Jones, Stead and Ameobi have all had pretty lengthy periods out that we’ve coped with.

Whether we could do the same if Brisley, Duffy, Tootle or Grant got injured is another matter, mind.

Don’t think squad upheaval will be an issue - can’t see any of the first team moving on in January now it’s been confirmed that Grant and Yates are staying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!