Stickied League One Away Support Thread 2023/24

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
About 50/50 if it's a shit northern away game and the away end is sparse. Decent following and no everyone stands. Even all stood at your place.

Ahh reyt. If the away end is sparse? So pretty much every game then:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

Reactions: JJH

Lancs@(Bantam)

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Whats the weird obsession with standing up?? does it get you more points or make you a bigger team?? :dk:

Reaper

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham
Why can't you create an atmosphere sat down i don't get it?

Probably only 20% of our fans stand up at away games including me if i get the chance but it doesn't stop me from getting behind the team vocally if i have to sit down.

We do get the odd few fans what just sit there in utter silence like sad c*** but most of the sitters do get behind the team like we did at Rochdale, Bury and Oldham yesterday.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Why can't you create an atmosphere sat down i don't get it?

Probably only 20% of our fans stand up at away games including me if i get the chance but it doesn't stop me from getting behind the team vocally if i have to sit down.

We do get the odd few fans what just sit there in utter silence like sad c*** but most of the sitters do get behind the team like we did at Rochdale, Bury and Oldham yesterday.

Let's be reyt 95% of the time unless fans are stood up the atmosphere is non existent, I ain't saying you don't create one but just look at all the bigger clubs, top prem clubs, clubs that take plenty away pretty regularly, they all stand and are the only ones who create the tiny bit of atmosphere that's left in this country.

SoutheySWFC

Reaction score
Supports
SWFC
I wouldn't want to be called a lad just cos I prefer to stand at Football.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
It makes you an absolute lad.

Something like that, apparently.

Must be tens and tens of thousands of lads then every week watching football in this country. Virtually every clubs away fans in the prem and championship barring about 9 clubs plus numerous clubs who have thousands stood every home game

Jamo

Reaction score
Supports
Barnsley
People who champion standing for the whole game are basically subtly signalling to you that "we've got massive support and you haven't. Haha you lot sit down so there mustn't be many of you that travel".

500 people dotted around in an away end that holds 2500+ for example would look fucking stupid. It only happens when an away end is full or near full. Hence Blades(this season anyway) and Wednesdayites harping on about it.

SoutheySWFC

Reaction score
Supports
SWFC
People who champion standing for the whole game are basically subtly signalling to you that "we've got massive support and you haven't. Haha you lot sit down so there mustn't be many of you that travel".

500 people dotted around in an away end that holds 2500+ for example would look fucking stupid. It only happens when an away end is full or near full. Hence Blades(this season anyway) and Wednesdayites harping on about it.
You're talking bollocks, which isn't like you.

Nothing to do with the size of the away support is it, you can have 400 making a noise but they do seem to be rowdier if stood up, the terraces seem to offer better acoustics for some reason.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united

Millwall and Cardiff stand up every game without big numbers. The fact is standing up generally creates a much better atmosphere it's nowt to do with showing you have massive support. Some clubs who take big numbers to games still don't stand like Bradford, Rotherham, yourselves and I personally think it has a negative effect on atmosphere. However if people wanna sit down fair enough that' up to them

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
393 Northampton, made far more noise than our 19,000 and most other fans this season. Guessing they enjoyed our cheap ale, fair play to them.

The majority of us were sat down, our demographic now dictates that (we were young once), it didn't stop us chanting, clapping and make a noise for most of the game...:bg:

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I'd happily stand and have done a number of times when everyone around me has, I can see the argument for it creating a better atmosphere.

However it certainly doesn't guarantee it, just to play devils advocate. I have being to a number of Champions League games at Man City in the last few years and usually go in a corner where everyone stands. There is zero atmosphere, except from the away foreign fans I think it's more an modern day English issue rather than whether you sit or stand. We always sit at Valley Parade, and no Premier League or Champions League atmosphere compares to the games against Sheffield United and Bolton last season, or the games against Villa, Arsenal, Sunderland and Reading in the cups.

I don't agree that the last decent atmospheres are in the Premier League either, yes if there's a game like Liverpool v Man City yesterday then naturally the atmosphere will improve but most are shite. As much as I hate to admit it, when Leeds even get a slither of success Elland Road puts them to shame easily.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
The majority of us were sat down, our demographic now dictates that (we were young once), it didn't stop us chanting, clapping and make a noise for most of the game...:bg:
In fairness the lads jumping up and down at the back generated the most atmosphere, but obviously that helps everyone else near the front join in as well. I certainly don't think everyone needs to stand to generate a good atmosphere but it helps when people who want to stand can all go to the back and start the chanting off, which will help the crowed. Our fans can be fantastic but in reality some are only interested in making noise in a big game. When I have said this before some of our fans say the only reason the crowed is quite is because of performance, don't agree at all we were stone cold silent at kick off so not sure how the players can affect that. People have short memories as well, as we have being quite for years baring big games.

MillerWhale

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
I'm firmly in the Barnsley lad's camp (which must be saying something since they've once again poached a player from under our noses).

For balance purposes, I'd add that my preference is to stand. Nothing to do with atmosphere really, more to do with invariably being a tall bloke I find that legroom is often wanting and I also think you get a better view of the nearest touchline behind the goal from an elevated position. At no point did I want to stand to hope someone watching on the highlights would think our away support is great or so we might be considered a big club. Do you realise how daft that notion is?

At Walsall over Christmas, I was fortunate enough to stand the whole game as the stand is shallow, and those in the rows behind me were standing. Had at any point I looked and there was anyone sitting behind me, I'd have sat down right away. I don't value my experience any greater than those around me. It's called having respect for people.

Atmosphere is better created when a group stands. Having spent decades on the Tivoli, I'll vouch for that, certainly compared to a seated area. But not at the cost of anyone not being able to see the game, whether children, elderly or just plain don't want to stand.

To the Blunt fan who seems to ring this bell like a broken record, personally I think the worst thing in the English game isn't the lack of atmospheres around grounds but the copycat culture. Ooooo look, QPR have sung " we're effin sheet" in a self deprecating manner, let's all do the same when we're losing. Let's all bob up and down on the spot like girls coz Wednesdays done it. Let's pick a Liverpool or Citeh song and adapt it to a really middle of the road League 1 plodder. Let's all have the same songs about all players for different teams and different clubs. While we're at it, let's create rubbish foreign jingles and make banners with skull and crossbones innit and call ourselves 'ultras'. And for good measure, let's film ourselves 'going mental' by dancing around together on the spot spilling cheap lager on one another. That is far worse than quieter home grounds, even if you have gone on a lads, lads, lads weekend to Dortmund and seen first hand how they do it oh so much better than us Brits.

And as the two main champions of this are the Sheffield sisters, well there was so little needle or atmosphere in Friday's game that you might as well all have been sat holding hands in an unsegregsted ground.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
I'm firmly in the Barnsley lad's camp (which must be saying something since they've once again poached a player from under our noses).

For balance purposes, I'd add that my preference is to stand. Nothing to do with atmosphere really, more to do with invariably being a tall bloke I find that legroom is often wanting and I also think you get a better view of the nearest touchline behind the goal from an elevated position. At no point did I want to stand to hope someone watching on the highlights would think our away support is great or so we might be considered a big club. Do you realise how daft that notion is?

At Walsall over Christmas, I was fortunate enough to stand the whole game as the stand is shallow, and those in the rows behind me were standing. Had at any point I looked and there was anyone sitting behind me, I'd have sat down right away. I don't value my experience any greater than those around me. It's called having respect for people.

Atmosphere is better created when a group stands. Having spent decades on the Tivoli, I'll vouch for that, certainly compared to a seated area. But not at the cost of anyone not being able to see the game, whether children, elderly or just plain don't want to stand.

To the Blunt fan who seems to ring this bell like a broken record, personally I think the worst thing in the English game isn't the lack of atmospheres around grounds but the copycat culture. Ooooo look, QPR have sung " we're effin sheet" in a self deprecating manner, let's all do the same when we're losing. Let's all bob up and down on the spot like girls coz Wednesdays done it. Let's pick a Liverpool or Citeh song and adapt it to a really middle of the road League 1 plodder. Let's all have the same songs about all players for different teams and different clubs. While we're at it, let's create rubbish foreign jingles and make banners with skull and crossbones innit and call ourselves 'ultras'. And for good measure, let's film ourselves 'going mental' by dancing around together on the spot spilling cheap lager on one another. That is far worse than quieter home grounds, even if you have gone on a lads, lads, lads weekend to Dortmund and seen first hand how they do it oh so much better than us Brits.

And as the two main champions of this are the Sheffield sisters, well there was so little needle or atmosphere in Friday's game that you might as well all have been sat holding hands in an unsegregsted ground.

I agree with you on most of that to be fair, and I don't stand in front of someone who wants to sit down, although to be fair no one sits down at away games anymore so they obviously don't want to sit down. I stand up on our South stand but as far to the side as possible so in no one's way. There is very very little atmosphere in this country, maybe it's not all down to standing or sitting and a lot of it is to do with what you say but I can guarantee I've never seen a set of supporters create anything if they all sit down. And I certainly ain't suggesting it's brilliant when fans are stood up but i always feel it's better. And yes the atmosphere on Friday was shite from both sets of fans, down to how shite the game was.

SoutheySWFC

Reaction score
Supports
SWFC
I agree with you on most of that to be fair, and I don't stand in front of someone who wants to sit down, although to be fair no one sits down at away games anymore so they obviously don't want to sit down. I stand up on our South stand but as far to the side as possible so in no one's way. There is very very little atmosphere in this country, maybe it's not all down to standing or sitting and a lot of it is to do with what you say but I can guarantee I've never seen a set of supporters create anything if they all sit down. And I certainly ain't suggesting it's brilliant when fans are stood up but i always feel it's better. And yes the atmosphere on Friday was shite from both sets of fans, down to how shite the game was.

Be careful you don't trip over all the chips that have dropped off Millerwhales shoulders, the man is a first rate cock.

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
In fairness the lads jumping up and down at the back generated the most atmosphere, but obviously that helps everyone else near the front join in as well. I certainly don't think everyone needs to stand to generate a good atmosphere but it helps when people who want to stand can all go to the back and start the chanting off, which will help the crowed. Our fans can be fantastic but in reality some are only interested in making noise in a big game. When I have said this before some of our fans say the only reason the crowed is quite is because of performance, don't agree at all we were stone cold silent at kick off so not sure how the players can affect that. People have short memories as well, as we have being quite for years baring big games.

Agreed, it helps when we have unreserved seating so that can happen, we have been at places where the stewards have insisted on us sitting where your ticket states, which splits up the younger more vocal element who have purchased tickets at different times. We struggle to generate the same level and consistency of noise then but that would apply to most?
Shame that the majority of your support had left by the time you scored, a quality strike that caught our boys and the keeper napping!
Very squeaky bum time during those 5+ minutes added...

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Expect our already poor away followings this season to absolutely nosedive from this point on.

90 to Oxford and 300 to Blackburn is my guess

finley

Reaction score
Supports
bradford city
Sold out original allocation for Bristol,second batch ordered hopefully should be a complete sell out.The club are putting on free travel for this one.:brill:

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Let's be reyt 95% of the time unless fans are stood up the atmosphere is non existent, I ain't saying you don't create one but just look at all the bigger clubs, top prem clubs, clubs that take plenty away pretty regularly, they all stand and are the only ones who create the tiny bit of atmosphere that's left in this country.
Yeah I fully agree.

I'm not in the standing section at AG as it's cringeworthy as fuck but away from home I always stand and so do all of ours fans in the games I usually go to.

This season I've been going to every game bar two but in previous years I've made 10/12 games a season and they're games like Wolves, Villa, Fulham, Cardiff, Leeds etc where everyone stands and it's good atmosphere. At Hull and QPR this season the atmosphere was absolutely horrendous because half the following sat down, same at Wednesday as well IIRC though the atmosphere wasn't too bad.

Who are the 9 clubs that don't stand in the Championship? I've never paid that much attention to it until it was pointed out to me recently.

Shrimpurh

Reaction score
Supports
Southend
Yeah I fully agree.

I'm not in the standing section at AG as it's cringeworthy as fuck but away from home I always stand and so do all of ours fans in the games I usually go to.

This season I've been going to every game bar two but in previous years I've made 10/12 games a season and they're games like Wolves, Villa, Fulham, Cardiff, Leeds etc where everyone stands and it's good atmosphere. At Hull and QPR this season the atmosphere was absolutely horrendous because half the following sat down, same at Wednesday as well IIRC though the atmosphere wasn't too bad.

Who are the 9 clubs that don't stand in the Championship? I've never paid that much attention to it until it was pointed out to me recently.
You lot are a bunch of sit downers

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Yeah I fully agree.

9 was just a bit of a random figure. It was more a case of pointing out that a lot of clubs do in the top 2 leagues.

SMH

Reaction score
Supports
Wigan
Unlucky Oxford. We’ll see you and your 20 fans on a Tuesday night. :fl:

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
Looked like your entire crowd was 20 tonight

GFCSludge

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
There should be a byelaw preventing Wigan fans from taking the proverbial out of any other club on any grounds whatsoever.

Oh for the days of Springfield Park when they lost to everyone in front of no-one and knew their rightful place at the bottom of the pile, before Mr JJB came swanning in with fistfuls of cash and bought every bit of success they ever had.

Dreadful club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!