1st Matches of 2021-22 Season: 7th August 2021

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Once had a mate who stopped supporting Man Utd to support Arsenal as he didn’t like the brand of football anymore...

Tbf I remember chatting to a couple of Mansfield fans at Wembley for the Croatia game and we were all confused about this guy telling us how he supports like 6/7 teams because he’s lived in those 6/7 places, his passion was England so has no club affiliation unless he lives there.

In one way I kinda respected it, but couldn’t really understand it tbh

i think it’s possible to have a 2nd team you look out for. mines chelsea.

My step dad supports them and took me as a 10 year old to the old wembley when they lost 4-0 to utd in 94 then took me to a few games in the cup winners cup the season after, long before they were any good (in fairness they were pretty shit) glenn hoddle was the player manager before he went on to manage england after terry venables in euro 96. they had such greats as dimitri kharine in goal, steve clarke (the scotland manager in defence) dennis wise in midfield and paul furlong and mark stein upfront!

I started going to mansfield the season after and the rest was history, but there’s no shame in having a side you look out for, though clearly i’d never have the love for them i do for mansfield

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Even more so if they're local. If someone who lives on the Wirral chooses to support Liverpool that seems fair enough to me, even if we all might think they're generally missing out on the live element. Liverpool fans in Colchester on the other hand...

In all fairness, I can't imagine Valley Parade would be bouncing if you were 2-0 up at home to Nantwich Town in the FA Cup First Round.
Ha Ha. If we played Nantwich, we'd more likely be losing 2-0. My point was a complete lack of atmosphere. The "special one" was constantly looking our way. He must have been wishing his fans to emulate that aura. I know it's called progress but big bucks is not the answer to everything.

Last edited:

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Even more so if they're local. If someone who lives on the Wirral chooses to support Liverpool that seems fair enough to me, even if we all might think they're generally missing out on the live element. Liverpool fans in Colchester on the other hand...

In all fairness, I can't imagine Valley Parade would be bouncing if you were 2-0 up at home to Nantwich Town in the FA Cup First Round.
Probably would if they brought 6,000 and it was a sell out crowd tbf.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Ha Ha. If we played Nantwich, we'd more likely be losing 2-0. My point was a complete lack of atmosphere. The "special one" was constantly looking our way. He must have been wishing his fans to emulate that aura. I know it's called progress but big bucks is not the answer to everything.

I got your point but I just don't think that example is a fair stick to beat them with. 6,000 Bradford fans enjoying their big day out at Stamford Bridge is always going to be more boisterous than the home ends regardless of the score, in the same way that the atmosphere there seems pretty decent on a big European night... and in the same way that VP would be rocking for your League Cup semi-final win over Aston Villa, say, in a way that would be unrecognisable from a home game against non-league opposition in the cup.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers

Its not the fact that they support Liverpool that bothers us. Its the fact that the ones who never go to games are the gobbiest ones. Liverpool supporters who go to Anfield think little of them to be honest and call them out on their nonsense when they get really obnoxious. Never had any issues with the real supporters. They know what its like on a cold winter midweek even if the game might be a Champions League group match instead of one between two of us lot.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
In case anybody was in any doubt that the EFL is run by a bunch of arseholes the red card for Chris Merrie, which even Walsall supporters with a brain said wasn't a red card, has resulted in a 3 game ban. If that is how these morons are going to interpret the rules there will be about 700 red cards and 7000 yellows by the end of the season. The Bristol Rovers player should be banned for 12 games on the basis of that suspension.
Ridiculous shower of corrupt muppets run the game here. They let villains destroy football clubs and screw up the game while they are ignoring their theft.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
i think it’s possible to have a 2nd team you look out for. mines chelsea.

My step dad supports them and took me as a 10 year old to the old wembley when they lost 4-0 to utd in 94 then took me to a few games in the cup winners cup the season after, long before they were any good (in fairness they were pretty shit) glenn hoddle was the player manager before he went on to manage england after terry venables in euro 96. they had such greats as dimitri kharine in goal, steve clarke (the scotland manager in defence) dennis wise in midfield and paul furlong and mark stein upfront!

I started going to mansfield the season after and the rest was history, but there’s no shame in having a side you look out for, though clearly i’d never have the love for them i do for mansfield
I guess I’m curious, how far does the 2nd team relationship go? Looking out for a 2nd team I get, but many people I’ve known have supported both actively, albeit with a favourite.

I can understand it, but it’s not for me. Then again, I’m more than happy to go to neutral games, join in the atmosphere and sing with those fans and get carried away - my dad can’t understand how I can get excited for another team. As I try explaining to him, it’s an atmosphere thing really, I just get swept away with it, otherwise it’s just boring?

What used to wind me up when I lived abroad for a few year was when the Slovaks would ask me who I support.. I’d reply that they wouldn’t know them, but they pushed as they thought they were England football experts, expecting me to say Everton or something. When I told them, they’d then ask, “ok, but who’s your premier league team?”. They genuinely couldn’t grasp the concept that I didn’t have a premier league team to support

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In case anybody was in any doubt that the EFL is run by a bunch of arseholes the red card for Chris Merrie, which even Walsall supporters with a brain said wasn't a red card, has resulted in a 3 game ban. If that is how these morons are going to interpret the rules there will be about 700 red cards and 7000 yellows by the end of the season. The Bristol Rovers player should be banned for 12 games on the basis of that suspension.
Ridiculous shower of corrupt muppets run the game here. They let villains destroy football clubs and screw up the game while they are ignoring their theft.
Ours just got rescinded...

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I guess I’m curious, how far does the 2nd team relationship go? Looking out for a 2nd team I get, but many people I’ve known have supported both actively, albeit with a favourite.

I can understand it, but it’s not for me. Then again, I’m more than happy to go to neutral games, join in the atmosphere and sing with those fans and get carried away - my dad can’t understand how I can get excited for another team. As I try explaining to him, it’s an atmosphere thing really, I just get swept away with it, otherwise it’s just boring?

What used to wind me up when I lived abroad for a few year was when the Slovaks would ask me who I support.. I’d reply that they wouldn’t know them, but they pushed as they thought they were England football experts, expecting me to say Everton or something. When I told them, they’d then ask, “ok, but who’s your premier league team?”. They genuinely couldn’t grasp the concept that I didn’t have a premier league team to support

It’s basically like saying i’m english and also european. Chelsea would be a passing interest and if they’re on tv etc or they’ve got a game on that doesn’t affect mansfield i’d be interested.

However there is clearly no comparison now then or ever, when you leave manchester at half 6 to get home to meet mates in mansfield for 10 with 2 of the biggest clubs going on my doorstep i’m not going to change anytime soon

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
Some of us get that question from people in the U.K.

The having a second club thing is very prevalent in Non-League Football. It’s not unusual to hear people talk about a Premier League game referring to one or both participants as ‘we’, following the scores almost as intently as the game they’re attending. Strange behaviour

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Gassy; It doesn't always work like that.

I went to Jamaica and got chatting to some football fans there. Same thing happened only worse (point out Crawley on a map) but after the initial scepticism they thought it was great and I ended up watching a Jamiacan second division "top of the table clash" with them. Great fun, good match and lots of Rum...I did not have yellow eyes the next day!

Made the holiday to be honest.

Casey

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Barton probably threatened them.

The red was a red and i hope it stands.

Barton was a complete cock, id be embarrassed to have him as the manager of my club, his antics were shocking.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers

Barton was a complete cock, id be embarrassed to have him as the manager of my club, his antics were shocking.
He is a scumbag.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers

What did he do?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
What did he do?

He was in the ear of the assistant all the time (right infront of me - sadly we had evens who did the same thing)

Said the ref had a bad game, he didn’t.

Went onto the pitch to confront him, he’s just got a screw loose.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Might as well back Barrow to win League 2 if shithousing is the way to go this season. They have the best in the division for coaching that.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He was in the ear of the assistant all the time (right infront of me - sadly we had evens who did the same thing)

Said the ref had a bad game, he didn’t.

Went onto the pitch to confront him, he’s just got a screw loose.
He has a screw loose no doubt, but tbf he sounds like 90% of EFL managers there

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
More than 90% of EFL managers haven't been to prison for assault or jabbed a cigar in a kids eye or have 2(two) assault charges hanging over them. He is a bad human from bad stock.
I agree, but if we’re going on the quote that “his antics were shocking”, what was exactly shocking about his antics?

If you want to have a go about his previous record, then feel free. But as far as I can see as has been described, he’s done nothing wrong there.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I agree, but if we’re going on the quote that “his antics were shocking”, what was exactly shocking about his antics?

If you want to have a go about his previous record, then feel free. But as far as I can see as has been described, he’s done nothing wrong there.
Previous record. He has two court dates upcoming for two recent incidents. Thats not a record. Its an EP.

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I started going when I was 14. I lived smack in the middle between Bristol (Rovers) and Swindon. Had no affiliation for either and it was the first game I attended at the CG. 2-2 draw do wasn’t beguiled by one team drubbing the other. Chose Swindon.

Thank fuck for that!
You a Chippenham boy Dan?

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I started going when I was 14. I lived smack in the middle between Bristol (Rovers) and Swindon. Had no affiliation for either and it was the first game I attended at the CG. 2-2 draw do wasn’t beguiled by one team drubbing the other. Chose Swindon.

Thank fuck for that!
You a Chippenham boy Dan?

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Previous record. He has two court dates upcoming for two recent incidents. Thats not a record. Its an EP.
And how does that relate to his antics on the sideline on Saturday? Can you stop avoiding the question?

I have to say, you’re coming across a bit obsessed with him.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

I suppose one way of arguing it is he can’t really suspend or fine your player for raising his hand when he’s done it himself.

He’s no morale standard to lead from, he can’t actually discipline players without being a fraud having done exactly that.

It’s of no surprise that the lack of discipline cost rovers with a manager like him in charge yet he railed against the ref for making correct decisions.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
It’s basically like saying i’m english and also european. Chelsea would be a passing interest and if they’re on tv etc or they’ve got a game on that doesn’t affect mansfield i’d be interested.

However there is clearly no comparison now then or ever, when you leave manchester at half 6 to get home to meet mates in mansfield for 10 with 2 of the biggest clubs going on my doorstep i’m not going to change anytime soon

Lower league football is a great skirmish and my team is always Mansfield.

That said, while there's plenty not to like about the Premier League, Sky, BT, Amazon etc, I do like the quality of Premier League football. I'll watch most televised matches when I'm in the house or out somewhere as there's plenty of good teams, players, managers and nothing better on the tele.

Lower league supporters and PL tele supporters snub each other, the PL Sky fans calling lower league football crap and lower league fans calling PL fans armchair supporters but there's something to like and not like about each.

That said, lower league football is clearly the better experience.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I suppose one way of arguing it is he can’t really suspend or fine your player for raising his hand when he’s done it himself.

He’s no morale standard to lead from, he can’t actually discipline players without being a fraud having done exactly that.

It’s of no surprise that the lack of discipline cost rovers with a manager like him in charge yet he railed against the ref for making correct decisions.
Yeah you’re not wrong, no idea how he managed it at Fleetwood or how he’d manage it here.

I wouldn’t be looking too much into it just yet, I’m sure Coutts has had a red card before in his career that wasn’t down to Barton and as a club it may be surprising to hear, but we have also given away penalties before. You can’t put it all down on his temperament.

For balance, you then have to give credit to all the things we did right as well to Barton, for example the stunning strike for a CB.

If of course we keep giving away penalties and red card then I’ll agree, but we didn’t when he took over last season, so I’d rather wait and see before jumping on the Joey bandwagon.

Still not sure you or anyone else has justified the shocking antics though?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Yeah you’re not wrong, no idea how he managed it at Fleetwood or how he’d manage it here.

I wouldn’t be looking too much into it just yet, I’m sure Coutts has had a red card before in his career that wasn’t down to Barton and as a club it may be surprising to hear, but we have also given away penalties before. You can’t put it all down on his temperament.

For balance, you then have to give credit to all the things we did right as well to Barton, for example the stunning strike for a CB.

If of course we keep giving away penalties and red card then I’ll agree, but we didn’t when he took over last season, so I’d rather wait and see before jumping on the Joey bandwagon.

Still not sure you or anyone else has justified the shocking antics though?

Whereas i’d hardly call is shocking, it’s sadly par the course these days, like you’re telling me rovers haven’t done anything like that in the last 12 months.

For me, all players are aware of what’s going on and will be warned of it themselves before the games, if you fall for it now it’s almost like you deserve it.

They’ll be a soft red mansfield get somewhere down the line that will be as soft as much as you’ll get a soft red out of an opposition player.

Sadly not how it should be, but that’s how it is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV