1-24 League One Competition

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
1. Bolton Wanderers - Have the best squad IMO and one of the best managers.
2. Derby County - Probably have the biggest budget and IMO best manager.
--------------------------------------------
3. Peterborough United
4. Portsmouth - Like the look of their squad, can Moushino deliver?
5. Blackpool
6. Charlton Athletic - Have a strong squad, can Holden deliver?
7. Barnsley
8. Oxford United
9. Wigan Athletic
10. Lincoln City
11. Fleetwood Town
12. Wycombe Wanderers
13. Bristol Rovers
14. Burton Albion
15. Stevenage
16. Carlisle United
17. Leyton Orient
18. Exeter City
19. Cambridge United
20. Northampton Town
21. Port Vale - Don't see enough goals/squad depth + rookie manager.
22. Reading - IMO unless their financial state changes they're in toruble.
23. Shrewsbury Town - Too much change at the club, may regret letting Cotterill go.
24. Cheltenham Town - Don't see enough squad depth

The bottom ten clubs in my prediction could all easily end up going down if they get hit with injuries, or any of the clubs boards make any rash decisions during the season.

For the first time in a while there aren't any cluster of 5/6 teams whom I look at and think that they will 100% struggle and go down apart from maybe Reading.

We all know who the leagues big hitters are, Bolton IMO should go up this season and with Warne at Derby they will be there in the playoffs at the very least.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
1. Bolton Wanderers - Have the best squad IMO and one of the best managers.
2. Derby County - Probably have the biggest budget and IMO best manager.
3. Peterborough United
4. Portsmouth - Like the look of their squad, can Moushino deliver?
5. Blackpool
6. Charlton Athletic - Have a strong squad, can Holden deliver?
7. Barnsley
8. Oxford United
9. Wigan Athletic
10. Lincoln City
11. Fleetwood Town
12. Wycombe Wanderers
13. Bristol Rovers
14. Burton Albion
15. Stevenage
16. Carlisle United
17. Leyton Orient
18. Exeter City
19. Cambridge United
20. Northampton Town
21. Port Vale - Don't see enough goals/squad depth + rookie manager.
22. Reading - IMO unless their financial state changes they're in toruble.
23. Shrewsbury Town - Too much change at the club, may regret letting Cotterill go.
24. Cheltenham Town - Don't see enough squad depth

The bottom ten clubs in my prediction could all easily end up going down if they get hit with injuries, or any of the clubs boards make any rash decisions during the season.

For the first time in a while there aren't any cluster of 5/6 teams whom I look at and think that they will 100% struggle and go down apart from maybe Reading.

We all know who the leagues big hitters are, Bolton IMO should go up this season and with Warne at Derby they will be there in the playoffs at the very least.
I wouldn’t say we lack depth apart from up front. We have far more depth this season that last, we’ve got about 8000 midfielders for a start! We’ve learnt the lessons of last season on depth which cost us.

In terms of strikers that will be sorted I am sure.

Jury out on Crosby and seems to be the reason most pundits who tip us to go down pick out but he has huge experience in the game so optimistic, he’s who I wanted to get the job so have to back him I guess!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yeah, we've got significant back up in defence and midfield but the jury is out as to how good the back up is. Strikers is where we are short but that will be rectified. My big concerns currently is where are the goals coming from and have we done enough in that area. James Plant could be the enigma that nobody knows much about. Scored 2 in 3 at the end of the season and was one of the best players on the pitch.

Crosby seems pretty content with the squad he has built. I think we'll get over the safety line just about as we'll be well drilled and organised and also one of the fittest teams. Apparently we covered more km in a recent friendly than we have in the 4 years or so that we've been analysing this sort of thing.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yeah, we've got significant back up in defence and midfield but the jury is out as to how good the back up is. Strikers is where we are short but that will be rectified. My big concerns currently is where are the goals coming from and have we done enough in that area. James Plant could be the enigma that nobody knows much about. Scored 2 in 3 at the end of the season and was one of the best players on the pitch.

Crosby seems pretty content with the squad he has built. I think we'll get over the safety line just about as we'll be well drilled and organised and also one of the fittest teams. Apparently we covered more km in a recent friendly than we have in the 4 years or so that we've been analysing this sort of thing.
Plant and the loan's are what could swing it for us, Plant is obviously a huge prospect for us and looks as good as any youth we've had come through in a long time. Shorrock is meant to be even better but although in the first team now he is only 16 isn't he?

Arblaster comes on loan with hugely encouraging comments from Blades fans after breaking into their side last season and Balmer looks a good addition, plus this Swansea lad seems to be a very good player at youth level and in pre season... if they can step up to mens football in his case and Arblaster is as good as he is made out to be we might stumble upon some success.

That said we've been here before with loans and you never know until it gets going what they are going to be like (think Small and McCarron!)

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Right, this is my predicted 1-24 that I can laugh at come May!

1) Blackpool
2) Derby
3) Bolton
4) Charlton
5) Portsmouth
6) Peterborough
7) Barnsley
8) Oxford
9) Lincoln
10) Burton
11) Wigan
12) Wycombe
13) Bristol Rovers
14) Leyton Orient
15) Stevenage
16) Fleetwood
17) Reading
18) Northampton
19) Port Vale
20) Shrewsbury
21) Cambridge
22) Carlisle
23) Cheltenham
24) Exeter

There's a part of me that thinks Blackpool will walk it. They've lost Yates but Critchley was excellent for them last time and they've still got a core of players good enough for the Championship. Bolton and Derby were a coin flip for me, for the other automatic spots. Strong squads, good managers but yet to see signings that makes me think they'll win the league.

For Pompey, it's a case of whether our new blood can turn those frustrating draws of last season into wins and if anyone other than Bishop can score on a regular basis. Question marks over the manager too, and the same can be said for Charlton who've lost Rak-Saki but signed some good players.

I think Peterborough and Barnsley will regress but because this league is so weak I don't think they'll fall too far. Oxford look like they'll majorly improve but they very nearly got relegated last season, so will that improvement be enough? Lincoln could also push on, but then I look and see they will have Hackett and Walker in attack, so I can't back them for the play-offs.

As for everyone else from Burton downwards, you could genuinely make a case for them getting relegated this season. In the end, I've gone for the four teams who either have a poor manager, poor squad or mixture of the two. Naturally, should Fleetwood and Reading incur points deductions for their off-field issues, I think that will see them relegated instead.

Red Deserato

Reaction score
Supports
Worthing
1st Derby
2nd Bolton
3rd Blackpool
4th Portsmouth
5th Charlton
6th Oxford
7th Barnsley
8th Peterborough
9th Reading
10th Lincoln
11th Wycombe
12th Burton
13th Shrewsbury
14th Bristol Rovers
15th Leyton Orient
16th Fleetwood
17th Wigan
18th Carlisle
19th Stevenage
20th Northampton
21st Exeter
22nd Cheltenham
23rd Cambridge
24th Port Vale

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
1) Blackpool
2) Bolton
3) Derby
4) Portsmouth
5) Oxford
6) Charlton
7) Peterborough
8) Bristol Rovers
9) Barnsley
10) Lincoln
11) Fleetwood
12) Wigan
13) Burton
14) Wycombe
15) Leyton Orient
16) Port Vale
17) Reading
18) Shrewsbury
19) Stevenage
20) Northampton
21) Cambridge
22) Exeter
23) Carlisle
24) Cheltenham

So tough. Expecting a smaller gap between top and bottom halves this season. Expecting my bottom 4 to make me look stupid.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
1) Blackpool
2) Bolton
3) Derby
4) Portsmouth
5) Oxford
6) Charlton
7) Peterborough
8) Bristol Rovers
9) Barnsley
10) Lincoln
11) Fleetwood
12) Wigan
13) Burton
14) Wycombe
15) Leyton Orient
16) Port Vale
17) Reading
18) Shrewsbury
19) Stevenage
20) Northampton
21) Cambridge
22) Exeter
23) Carlisle
24) Cheltenham

So tough. Expecting a smaller gap between top and bottom halves this season. Expecting my bottom 4 to make me look stupid.
Your top 10 looks ok

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Well clearly it was nice knowing you all!!

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
You can still get 4-1 on us getting relegated if you're quick

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
(Predicted before this weekends games)

1. Bolton
2. Blackpool
3. Charlton
4. Barnsley (P)
5 Portsmouth
6. Derby
7. Reading
8. Bristol Rovers
9 Peterborough (assuming the admin rumours are untrue)
10. Wigan
11. Fleetwood (barring financial ruin due to Pilley situation)
12. Oxford
13. Shrewsbury
14. Stevenage
15. Burton
16. Leyton Orient
17. Northampton
18. Lincoln
19. Cambridge
20. Exeter
21. Carlisle
22. Wycombe
23. Cheltenham
24. Port Vale

I'm a neutral here but, under Evatt, Bolton have arguably been one of the best teams in the country at home and, with the quality of the relegated sides not looking too strong, they should be right up there this season.

Blackpool and Critchley fit each other like a glove. They'll be competing this season no doubt about it.

I fancy Charlton and Pompey to awake from their slumbers and make the Top 6 with Derby to scrape into the playoffs. But Barnsley will go one better this season I think. Even after losing key personnel, they look a strong side at this level.

Reading and Wigan will eventually emerge from the chaos and miss out on Top 6 but will be in a much stronger position to compete next season. I think 7th-12th will be in the playoff race for most the season.

Think 13th-16th will comfortably survive but be way short of playoff standards. Anyone 17th and below will be in the relegation scrap for most of the season.

My relegation four were based on very different factors. Carlisle must have the smallest or second smallest budget in the division along with Cheltenham. Their squad looks very weak for League One level and they could lose Moxon. But Paul Simpson will get them putting in 100% each game. That's why I think they'll put up a brave fight but the lack of quality may see them drop.

Cheltenham are going through significant upheaval with the loss of May and key members of their off field structure. We went through it two years ago and FGR did last season. It never usually ends well for clubs on small budgets. If they stay up, they'll have done well this season.

There's always a club you don't expect that go down in this division and I genuinely believe Wycombe will be down there. Owner has admitted he wishes to sell the club and this club that had long serving Gareth Ainsworth's style heavily imposed on them for years are about to transition to a more easy on the eye playing style under Bloomfield. But, without a significant budget, I dont think his vision will be a success with their squad.

I know a lot of Vale fans. They're very pessimistic about this season. They started well last season but they had a horrific second half of the season and then went with the cheap option in Crosby when they should've sought a more proven alternative. I think Crosby will be sacked very quickly and I can see Flitcroft getting his P45 too as I think their recruitment hasn't been great at this level. Can see them doing what we did two years ago and what FGR did last season and that's stinking the gaff out. And I was thinking this before they shipped 7 at Barnsley yesterday!

Reactions: SVH

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Every year I see results/highlights on the first weekend then look at my table prediction and be like shit.

Every year without fail

dwightyorke

Reaction score
Supports
Bergkamp10

1. Bolton
2. Blackpool
3. Charlton
4. Barnsley (P)
5 Portsmouth
6. Derby
7. Reading
8. Bristol Rovers
10. Wigan
12. Oxford
13. Shrewsbury
14. Stevenage
15. Burton
16. Leyton Orient
17. Northampton
18. Lincoln
19. Cambridge
20. Exeter
21. Carlisle
22. Wycombe
23. Cheltenham
24. Port Vale

I'm a neutral here but, under Evatt, Bolton have arguably been one of the best teams in the country at home and, with the quality of the relegated sides not looking too strong, they should be right up there this season.

Blackpool and Critchley fit each other like a glove. They'll be competing this season no doubt about it.

I fancy Charlton and Pompey to awake from their slumbers and make the Top 6 with Derby to scrape into the playoffs. But Barnsley will go one better this season I think. Even after losing key personnel, they look a strong side at this level.

Reading and Wigan will eventually emerge from the chaos and miss out on Top 6 but will be in a much stronger position to compete next season. I think 7th-12th will be in the playoff race for most the season.

Think 13th-16th will comfortably survive but be way short of playoff standards. Anyone 17th and below will be in the relegation scrap for most of the season.

My relegation four were based on very different factors. Carlisle must have the smallest or second smallest budget in the division along with Cheltenham. Their squad looks very weak for League One level and they could lose Moxon. But Paul Simpson will get them putting in 100% each game. That's why I think they'll put up a brave fight but the lack of quality may see them drop.

Cheltenham are going through significant upheaval with the loss of May and key members of their off field structure. We went through it two years ago and FGR did last season. It never usually ends well for clubs on small budgets. If they stay up, they'll have done well this season.

There's always a club you don't expect that go down in this division and I genuinely believe Wycombe will be down there. Owner has admitted he wishes to sell the club and this club that had long serving Gareth Ainsworth's style heavily imposed on them for years are about to transition to a more easy on the eye playing style under Bloomfield. But, without a significant budget, I dont think his vision will be a success with their squad.

I know a lot of Vale fans. They're very pessimistic about this season. They started well last season but they had a horrific second half of the season and then went with the cheap option in Crosby when they should've sought a more proven alternative. I think Crosby will be sacked very quickly and I can see Flitcroft getting his P45 too as I think their recruitment hasn't been great at this level. Can see them doing what we did two years ago and what FGR did last season and that's stinking the gaff out. And I was thinking this before they shipped 7 at Barnsley yesterday!
I real reason you have put vale bottom is because your a Crewe fan and you hate vale.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

1. Bolton
2. Blackpool
3. Charlton
4. Barnsley (P)
5 Portsmouth
6. Derby
7. Reading
8. Bristol Rovers
10. Wigan
12. Oxford
13. Shrewsbury
14. Stevenage
15. Burton
16. Leyton Orient
17. Northampton
18. Lincoln
19. Cambridge
20. Exeter
21. Carlisle
22. Wycombe
23. Cheltenham
24. Port Vale

The only thing Vale I’d strongly dispute with you is about Crosby being sacked quickly and to be honest it’s the last thing I want to see happen right now. The Shanahans almost to a fault are not quick in reacting to bad runs so Crosby will get plenty of time. They let it go under Askey for months on end and the run we were on under DC if it was most other clubs he’d have been gone long before. That hasn’t stopped a few of our fans since yesterday casting one eye on the situation with Sir Gareth and QPR hoping he’ll come back here when they bin him off even if I doubt he’ll move north.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The only thing Vale I’d strongly dispute with you is about Crosby being sacked quickly and to be honest it’s the last thing I want to see happen right now. The Shanahans almost to a fault are not quick in reacting to bad runs so Crosby will get plenty of time. They let it go under Askey for months on end and the run we were on under DC if it was most other clubs he’d have been gone long before. That hasn’t stopped a few of our fans since yesterday casting one eye on the situation with Sir Gareth and QPR hoping he’ll come back here when they bin him off even if I doubt he’ll move north.
If we have a terrible run I can see Crosby going and us going back to DC! It would be very Vale that.

Don’t agree the recruitment itself has been bad either, the signings we’ve made have generally been good on paper, we just haven’t sorted the strike force yet which is the source of negativity from our fans but that’s not to say we won’t come the end of the window.

All be it considering we seemed to address the defensive issues of a lack of physical presence and height and experience, conceding 7 wasn’t ideal but in fairness it wasn’t involving any of the new signings in the back 3 so have to see on that one!

As for Crosby of course it’s a gamble but look if I’d covered my boss whilst absent and performed excellently over a few months and then my boss left I’d expect to have earned the right to have a go permanently. No different to them giving Artell the gig or Plymouth Schumacher for instance.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

Interesting what you say about Ainsworth there. I genuinely think he'll be back at Wycombe before the clocks go back. Seems like another John Coleman situation when he left Accrington for Rochdale then had an awful year or two in management before returning back. I think Ainsworth will be the first manager sacked this season anyway. Seems a poisoned chalice that QPR job ever since they were relegated from the Prem.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Interesting what you say about Ainsworth there. I genuinely think he'll be back at Wycombe before the clocks go back. Seems like another John Coleman situation when he left Accrington for Rochdale then had an awful year or two in management before returning back. I think Ainsworth will be the first manager sacked this season anyway. Seems a poisoned chalice that QPR job ever since they were relegated from the Prem.
Not sure I’d want him. As you say a success at one club man maybe? But surely Vale fans know better than any other not to damage another legend status at the club but having them manage us like Aspin, Foyle, Glover before. Leave him as the legend he is.

Woody OUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford Utd
Cheers everyone for having a crack at this. At the end of the season, tot your score up and post it.

I'll send a bottle of bubbly to the nearest post office to the winner at the end of the season.

The Evil Dead

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

:lol:

I'm not going to go in on you because I actually really enjoy your posts, but that is definitely full of anti-Vale bias, however much you deny it. Not a chance in this world we finish bottom of the league. If we do, your 24/25 Crewe Alexandra season ticket is on me fella.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
:lol:

I'm not going to go in on you because I actually really enjoy your posts, but that is definitely full of anti-Vale bias, however much you deny it. Not a chance in this world we finish bottom of the league. If we do, your 24/25 Crewe Alexandra season ticket is on me fella.
To be fair it was predicted straight after the 7-0 but we are already 25% of the way to Crewe's total that season in 4 games! The new signings in the main have all been decent and upgrades on last season!

The Evil Dead

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair it was predicted straight after the 7-0 but we are already 25% of the way to Crewe's total that season in 4 games! The new signings in the main have all been decent and upgrades on last season!

Which is why I never take these threads seriously. Especially when you've got people doing in depth predictions before a ball has even been kicked.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Port Vale in significant relegation trouble after an unprecedented excellent start? Seen it happen far too many times...
Yeah but we are getting some shiney new toliets and a new gym so what else can we want...

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
This is my effort, subject to change over the next week or so! Apologies for the essay, some of my comment might be a little misguided, I've not kept up to date with every side.

Derby
Charlton
------------------
Bolton
Oxford Utd
Portsmouth
Peterborough
------------------
Blackpool
Barnsley
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Bristol Rovers
Burton Albion
Wycombe
Leyton Orient
Reading
Exeter
Fleetwood Town
Cambridge Utd
Stevenage
Wigan
------------------
Carlisle
Port Vale
Northampton
Cheltenham

It’s an interesting league this season IMO, can’t say I know much about everyone so some of it is a stab in the dark. I don’t think there’s going to be an FGR/Crewe/Doncaster type bad side this season.

Since we’ve been in L1, and I’ve not checked to back this up, it’s felt like one promoted side has been safely tucked in midtable whilst others either drop back to L2, or just about survive.

I worry for Cheltenham without May. They kept 15 clean sheets last season, and you wonder whether they’ll have to be even better than that to compensate for the potential lack of goals.

Exeter, Vale and Bristol Rovers will need to sort their GA column out because it’s not sustainable at 70+ a season – Cheltenham, Accrington and Cambridge were all as bad defensively a couple of seasons ago and only the former ended up finishing fairly comfortably late on last season.

Derby will be strong under Warne, Posh are always in and around it, Charlton look to have recruited well and Oxford won’t be anywhere near as bad as last season and I fancy them to bounce back into being a good L1 side, especially with their backing. Blackpool will get some sort of structure back under Critchley and have their Championship money.

The two most interesting sides for me will be Shrewsbury and Wycombe, both have changed from more direct managers to two younger ones who’ll look to play a little more and that switch in style, with a young manager as well, is a risk but ones that might work for them both.

Northampton are a yo-yo club, so I’ve stuck them there based purely on that and they’ve not caught my eye this summer. I’ve heard very little about Carlisle if I’m honest. Vale have an inexperienced manager and whilst he’s stepping up from being a number two, for every Schumacher at Plymouth, there are also some disasters. You’d fancy Orient to be clear of relegation trouble given how they pissed L2 but Wellens seems to get found out at L1 level - perhaps that was circumstances of the sides he managed, not sure.

If anyone ever works Burton out, let me know. Constantly sign lots of players, have massive squads, usually end up struggling, sacking the manager, the new one gets tune out of the squad and they end up safe. Rinse and repeat. That said, they seem to have recruited fairly well and I think they’ll be comfortably safe this season.

Wigan are gonna have a fight on their hands to stay up I think. What’s happened there can sometimes create a bit of a siege mentality but they’re having to trim the wage bill so much that it’ll probably be a tight season for them.

I think Reading are going to be a side who settle into L1 life like Portsmouth and Charlton have. The latter have made the most eye catching additions this pre-season in my opinion.

Fleetwood, I don’t know whether the whole Pilley thing will spook players and they’ll look for a way out over the next couple of transfer windows but Stockton and Marriott as a front two isn’t bad.

As for us, I’d be amazed if we drew anywhere near as many as last season just because I don’t think it’s possible to draw nearly half your games for two seasons in a row even if you tried! Our defence, on paper at least, is probably weaker with the departure of Poole and his replacement is a 19-year old who’s played the last two seasons mainly as a LB. After a steady first year as a Head Coach, I think Kennedy will try and be a little more entertainingly, although in the second half of last season we were in Play-Off form so I’m not sure we need to change too much. We’ve still got some work to do with the squad though, it just doesn’t feel quite there at the minute but another month or so before the window closes (or is that SLAMMED shut?). We haven’t made any loan signings yet either. I don’t even know how I’ve managed to put us that high really, just happened as I’ve been going through the sides. :lol:
Not the worst effort in the world so far.

Despite my comments, we're still managing to draw lots of games and Kennedy certainly didn't try and be more entertaining!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
There was a nagging doubt with me that we would struggle. We generally start well most years but January and February are usually our kryptonite, which seems to be the case again. Just shows though how poor this league is that we're still in touching distance of safety after 3 wins in 27 and none in 2024. It's gross mismanagement after our start that we find ourselves in this position.

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Literally the most preventable relegation ever.

It's like Leicester's last season.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
1. Barnsley
2. Reading
3. Derby
4. Peterborough
5. Oxford
6. Bolton
7. Blackpool
8. Portsmouth
9. Shrewsbury
10. Bristol Rovers
11. Fleetwood
12. Port Vale
13. Wycombe
14. Lincoln
15. Leyton Orient
16. Burton
17 Cheltenham
18. Exeter
19. Stevenage
20. Charlton
21. Cambridge
22. Northampton
23. Wigan
24. Carlisle

Well, I got my team right at least :smug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!