1-24 League One Competition

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If he turned up for the others we wouldn't have been in that position.

Anyways, I know a lot of pundits/fans will have us down there, even if we still had Smith I think. I'm confident we'll stay up based on what I have seen in pre-season, our business and having Bonner as our manager.
Anything can happen of course, no one would predict MK to go down for instance and Oxford to struggle.

Also have the potential basket case factor on a couple of clubs and still 6 weeks of a window left where things may change.

Although never ever base what you see in friendlies as an indicator, one of our best Pre Seasons was before we got relegated in 2008! We destroyed Man United XI (with some decent names) hammered Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 amongst others and promptly had a dire season!

Reactions: SVH

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I've looked at all Cambridge's hires compared to this time last season and pretty much every one is an upgrade. We are still one striker and possibly a back-up right back/midfielder short of the final squad yet (no replacement for Smith so far is the only real worry) but it has generally been good business.

Plus we are unlikely to get 6 players out for most of the season with long-term injuries, from a 23 player squad (May, Rossi, Taylor, O'Neil, Okenabirhie and Haunstrop) again which is what really killed us in the mid-season (games 11 - 37 where we only got 14 points!)

So I'm with SVH, I think we are a reasonable bet to stay up...

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Interestingly Bet365 have Fleetwood as favs for the drop which whilst they do have off the field issues they do appear to have recruited well and Wigan 5th favs to go!

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Surely the EFL are still looking into how those good recruits have been paid for at Fleetwood?

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Anyone thinking their own team is for the drop then? We all cant stay up!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If he turned up for the others we wouldn't have been in that position.

Anyways, I know a lot of pundits/fans will have us down there, even if we still had Smith I think. I'm confident we'll stay up based on what I have seen in pre-season, our business and having Bonner as our manager.
As with any of us with smaller budgets, it could go either way. We could sign a couple of half decent back up strikers and one of them turns out to be an absolute gem. Or, one of our current players has a career best season, or Arblaster from Sheffield United becomes a worldbeater and Chislett is the new Modric. Alternatively, Chislett could be a poor man's Louis Dodds, Arblaster could be like a little boy and Grant could be injured for the season.

Unlike those with the bigger budgets who can generally buy in reliability, we have to hope that 75% of our signings hit the mark.

Cambridge may just have had one of those seasons where everything went wrong last time out. Like MK Dons going from playoffs to relegation. A lot of it is chancing it and hoping it all comes together.

Like 75% of clubs in this league, Vale could finish anywhere really. Impossible to predict. Plymouth had a great start last year and just continued to ride that wave.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Currently, we don't appear to have enough goals but the unknown is how much better as an attacking force we might be with these new signings. We generally gave most teams a good game last season but we didn't score enough and conceded far too many. A few teams were surprised to see us so low, but that was the reason.

If we can add 15 to the goals scored and take 15 off the conceded then we should be fine. James Plant might be our secret weapon. Scored 2 in 3 games at the end of last season and has a knack of being in the right place.

Nobody can honestly tell from friendlies how good anybody is.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

There isn’t really anyone obvious looking at it like became apparent with FGR quickly last season. You can make arguments for or against a number of teams so if some above put us for arguments sake in there I can’t say I think they’re wrong equally if they plant us mid-table. A lot will come down to luck with injuries. Only thing I will predict is safety will probably require over 50 this time.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There isn’t really anyone obvious looking at it like became apparent with FGR quickly last season. You can make arguments for or against a number of teams so if some above put us for arguments sake in there I can’t say I think they’re wrong equally if they plant us mid-table. A lot will come down to luck with injuries. Only thing I will predict is safety will probably require over 50 this time.
Yep it remains to be seen if our defence is any better than last year having signed Wilson and Friend, we may struggle if not.
I fear for Exeter though, lost key players and the incomings havent been great imo - hope we both stay up as its a local game with good crowds

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Yep it remains to be seen if our defence is any better than last year having signed Wilson and Friend, we may struggle if not.
I fear for Exeter though, lost key players and the incomings havent been great imo - hope we both stay up as its a local game with good crowds

I think with yourselves at least you know there’s goals at the right end so should be ok. Obviously if you go and sell Collins for example on deadline day or something like that then that might change things.

With Exeter it’s whether the manager is up to the task I think. Caldwells record before going there is a bit patchy. Wouldn’t shock me if someone like Reading get sucked in to a dogfight believe it or not. Selles from what I can tell has got no knowledge or experience at this level and can see them potentially spiralling as the off field stuff hasn’t gone away also.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I would guess no one will be as bad as FGR or Crewe/Doncaster in recent seasons but equally I don’t see anyone at the level of the promoted three last season so looks more balanced. Could see some surprises in terms of strugglers and challengers.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Whilst a lot of people are saying it's a weaker league this season because we lost Ipswich and Sheffield Weds and replaced them with teams supposedly in turmoil like Wigan and Reading, the bottom is much tougher in my view.

As others have said, there doesn't appear to be another FGR. In saying that, there didn't appear to be an FGR last summer either.

I've been saying since around April time that I think Exeter will suffer second season syndrome this year, I'm not convinced by Vale's managerial appointment (but that's more because I know little about him). and Fleetwood I'm wondering if some of the shit will come home to roost early enough.

Cambridge just happened to be the team I picked today for 21st, it could easily be us or any of the other teams in my list up to 13th and maybe even higher.

That's why I said it was for shits and giggles. People like Gab Sutton can preach that they know what's going on behind the scenes and are some sort of oracle, but let's not forget he had us bottom and MK Dons winning the division last season - Dons went down and we didn't drop into the relegation zone after September.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
I haven’t really kept up sufficiently with everyone else’s signings to be able to give the prediction a serious shot - to my mind the comedy value of looking back on these only really hits if you actually made an effort, but that’s not a dig at anyone who pulled their predictions out of a hat.

I think most people’s predictions for where we’ll land are pretty much in line with my own - upper mid table but not good enough for the playoffs.

But we’re very much an unknown quantity, with a rookie manager who is allegedly looking to transition us to a more ball-to-feet style - which could be good or we could end up playing ineffectual powderpuff fare like last season’s Oxford under Robinson.

I’d be happy with 10th or above, but I certainly wouldn’t take that for granted.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Whilst a lot of people are saying it's a weaker league this season because we lost Ipswich and Sheffield Weds and replaced them with teams supposedly in turmoil like Wigan and Reading, the bottom is much tougher in my view.

As others have said, there doesn't appear to be another FGR. In saying that, there didn't appear to be an FGR last summer either.

I've been saying since around April time that I think Exeter will suffer second season syndrome this year, I'm not convinced by Vale's managerial appointment (but that's more because I know little about him). and Fleetwood I'm wondering if some of the shit will come home to roost early enough.

Cambridge just happened to be the team I picked today for 21st, it could easily be us or any of the other teams in my list up to 13th and maybe even higher.

That's why I said it was for shits and giggles. People like Gab Sutton can preach that they know what's going on behind the scenes and are some sort of oracle, but let's not forget he had us bottom and MK Dons winning the division last season - Dons went down and we didn't drop into the relegation zone after September.

I can only talk from what we have seen of Crosby but I think he will do well, he isn't inexperienced in terms of he's been as assistant in the Premier League and was a huge part of Nigel Adkins success as well as at International level with Northern Ireland U21, over 26 games he has managed for both N Ireland U21 and Vale he actually has a 46% win record. He deserves his shot at the top job permanently and is a great coach so within the system we employ of having a DOF I am hopeful but the proof will be in the pudding when the season starts.

He arguably was a huge part of the reason we got promotion with that ridiculous run we went on under his leadership a couple of season back.

Kernow_gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Statistically the relegated teams are likely to include:
- One (but only one) of Northampton, Carlisle, Orient and Stevenage
- One of Exeter, Port Vale and Bristol Rovers
- One of Cambridge, Cheltenham and Bolton
- One surprise, wither one of the long-standing teams (Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Oxford) or one of the relegated teams (Blackpool, Reading, Wigan)

Of courses, quite often statistics give no useful clues to future behaviour at all, so this might all turn out to be bollocks...

Stevenage....check
Cheltenham....check
Fleetwood....check

Had Northampton down too....might need to rethink....Exeter or Port Vale? Has to be PV after Exeters fine showings against Torquay and WSM :whistle:

Bar Carousel

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
I'm amazed at the number of people who have us a promotion material and even outright champions. Is it because we recruited early and so its stuck in the mind?

We've signed 10 odd players but in truth not many were necessarily seasoned winners at their previous clubs. They look solid and full of potential but that doesn't guarantee anything. Not that friendlies are a guide to be followed, but we haven't really set the world alight in our patterns of play up until now. That may be down to the time needed to click as a new team.

I think we're good enough to give the playoff's a real go this year but think we lack real overall quality to be top two. I hope i'm wrong though obviously.

Derby, Bolton and Blackpool to push the top two places for me.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Early business is always good for prep and you've done good business. Play Off's.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'm amazed at the number of people who have us a promotion material and even outright champions. Is it because we recruited early and so its stuck in the mind?

We've signed 10 odd players but in truth not many were necessarily seasoned winners at their previous clubs. They look solid and full of potential but that doesn't guarantee anything. Not that friendlies are a guide to be followed, but we haven't really set the world alight in our patterns of play up until now. That may be down to the time needed to click as a new team.

I think we're good enough to give the playoff's a real go this year but think we lack real overall quality to be top two. I hope i'm wrong though obviously.

Still not totally sure on Derby yet, they ran out of gas last season and haven't recruited as yet as good as I would have expected.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

It probably reflects the fact that the league doesn't look as strong up top as the last couple of seasons.

Derby are firm faves with the bookies but they still don't have a huge amount of depth in the squad, unlike Ipswich or Wednesday last season. It may look different when the window closes, however.

I'm with you though. I'd like to think we can be in the hunt for the autos but at the moment, we look like a potential playoff team.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Think I'll be changing my Reading prediction.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It could be quite a hard one to call this year with all the sides with issues behind the scenes including 2 or 3 of the expected bigger hitters.

Reading obviously are failing to pay HMRC on time, embargo and assume EFL will look at that?

Wigan have point deductions and seem to be cutting their cloth under new ownership now

Barnsley have multiple breach charges and could be hit hard by the EFL if guilty, inexperienced manager, cancelled friendlies and not even tickets out for next weekend yet.

Fleetwood obviously and how that plays out longer term.

Peterborough as mentioned seem to be cutting cloth.

Could throw some cats amongst the pigeons, Barnsley may be one to watch as we saw with MK last season means nothing and have had a really poor summer on top of the off field charges and potential punishments if found guilty.

Sides that haven't really threatened but are just below the big guns in size like Portsmouth and Charlton have a great chance this year to take advantage of that.

folletto

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Interesting to see the earlier predictions had Charlton as low as 20th and now must have us in play offs :bg:

1. Bolton
2. Derby
3. Porsmouth
4. Peterborough
5. Barnsley
6. Oxford
7. Blackpool
8. Charlton
9. Wycombe
10. Bristol Rovers
11. Burton
12. Port Vale
13. Leyton Orient
14. Wigan
15. Reading
16. Lincoln
17. Shrewsbury
18. Stevenage
19.Fleetwood
20. Exeter
21. Cheltenham
22.Cambridge
23. Carlisle
24. Northampton

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bolton, Derby, Charlton, Blackpool, Portsmouth and Barnsley TOP 6
Stevenage, Wigan, Burton and Fleetwood BOTTOM 6,

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
This is my effort, subject to change over the next week or so! Apologies for the essay, some of my comment might be a little misguided, I've not kept up to date with every side.

Derby
Charlton
------------------
Bolton
Oxford Utd
Portsmouth
Peterborough
------------------
Blackpool
Barnsley
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Bristol Rovers
Burton Albion
Wycombe
Leyton Orient
Reading
Exeter
Fleetwood Town
Cambridge Utd
Stevenage
Wigan
------------------
Carlisle
Port Vale
Northampton
Cheltenham

It’s an interesting league this season IMO, can’t say I know much about everyone so some of it is a stab in the dark. I don’t think there’s going to be an FGR/Crewe/Doncaster type bad side this season.

Since we’ve been in L1, and I’ve not checked to back this up, it’s felt like one promoted side has been safely tucked in midtable whilst others either drop back to L2, or just about survive.

I worry for Cheltenham without May. They kept 15 clean sheets last season, and you wonder whether they’ll have to be even better than that to compensate for the potential lack of goals.

Exeter, Vale and Bristol Rovers will need to sort their GA column out because it’s not sustainable at 70+ a season – Cheltenham, Accrington and Cambridge were all as bad defensively a couple of seasons ago and only the former ended up finishing fairly comfortably late on last season.

Derby will be strong under Warne, Posh are always in and around it, Charlton look to have recruited well and Oxford won’t be anywhere near as bad as last season and I fancy them to bounce back into being a good L1 side, especially with their backing. Blackpool will get some sort of structure back under Critchley and have their Championship money.

The two most interesting sides for me will be Shrewsbury and Wycombe, both have changed from more direct managers to two younger ones who’ll look to play a little more and that switch in style, with a young manager as well, is a risk but ones that might work for them both.

Northampton are a yo-yo club, so I’ve stuck them there based purely on that and they’ve not caught my eye this summer. I’ve heard very little about Carlisle if I’m honest. Vale have an inexperienced manager and whilst he’s stepping up from being a number two, for every Schumacher at Plymouth, there are also some disasters. You’d fancy Orient to be clear of relegation trouble given how they pissed L2 but Wellens seems to get found out at L1 level - perhaps that was circumstances of the sides he managed, not sure.

If anyone ever works Burton out, let me know. Constantly sign lots of players, have massive squads, usually end up struggling, sacking the manager, the new one gets tune out of the squad and they end up safe. Rinse and repeat. That said, they seem to have recruited fairly well and I think they’ll be comfortably safe this season.

Wigan are gonna have a fight on their hands to stay up I think. What’s happened there can sometimes create a bit of a siege mentality but they’re having to trim the wage bill so much that it’ll probably be a tight season for them.

I think Reading are going to be a side who settle into L1 life like Portsmouth and Charlton have. The latter have made the most eye catching additions this pre-season in my opinion.

Fleetwood, I don’t know whether the whole Pilley thing will spook players and they’ll look for a way out over the next couple of transfer windows but Stockton and Marriott as a front two isn’t bad.

As for us, I’d be amazed if we drew anywhere near as many as last season just because I don’t think it’s possible to draw nearly half your games for two seasons in a row even if you tried! Our defence, on paper at least, is probably weaker with the departure of Poole and his replacement is a 19-year old who’s played the last two seasons mainly as a LB. After a steady first year as a Head Coach, I think Kennedy will try and be a little more entertainingly, although in the second half of last season we were in Play-Off form so I’m not sure we need to change too much. We’ve still got some work to do with the squad though, it just doesn’t feel quite there at the minute but another month or so before the window closes (or is that SLAMMED shut?). We haven’t made any loan signings yet either. I don’t even know how I’ve managed to put us that high really, just happened as I’ve been going through the sides. :lol:

Last edited:

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
It could be quite a hard one to call this year with all the sides with issues behind the scenes including 2 or 3 of the expected bigger hitters.

Reading obviously are failing to pay HMRC on time, embargo and assume EFL will look at that?

Wigan have point deductions and seem to be cutting their cloth under new ownership now

Barnsley have multiple breach charges and could be hit hard by the EFL if guilty, inexperienced manager, cancelled friendlies and not even tickets out for next weekend yet.

Fleetwood obviously and how that plays out longer term.

Peterborough as mentioned seem to be cutting cloth.

Could throw some cats amongst the pigeons, Barnsley may be one to watch as we saw with MK last season means nothing and have had a really poor summer on top of the off field charges and potential punishments if found guilty.

Sides that haven't really threatened but are just below the big guns in size like Portsmouth and Charlton have a great chance this year to take advantage of that.
what big guns do you mean?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
This is my effort, subject to change over the next week or so! Apologies for the essay, some of my comment might be a little misguided, I've not kept up to date with every side.

Derby
Charlton
Bolton
------------------
Oxford Utd
Portsmouth
Peterborough
Blackpool
------------------
Barnsley
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Bristol Rovers
Burton Albion
Wycombe
Leyton Orient
Reading
Exeter
Fleetwood Town
Cambridge Utd
Stevenage
Wigan
------------------
Carlisle
Port Vale
Northampton
Cheltenham

It’s an interesting league this season IMO, can’t say I know much about everyone so some of it is a stab in the dark. I don’t think there’s going to be an FGR/Crewe/Doncaster type bad side this season.

Since we’ve been in L1, and I’ve not checked to back this up, it’s felt like one promoted side has been safely tucked in midtable whilst others either drop back to L2, or just about survive.

I worry for Cheltenham without May. They kept 15 clean sheets last season, and you wonder whether they’ll have to be even better than that to compensate for the potential lack of goals.

Exeter, Vale and Bristol Rovers will need to sort their GA column out because it’s not sustainable at 70+ a season – Cheltenham, Accrington and Cambridge were all as bad defensively a couple of seasons ago and only the former ended up finishing fairly comfortably late on last season.

Derby will be strong under Warne, Posh are always in and around it, Charlton look to have recruited well and Oxford won’t be anywhere near as bad as last season and I fancy them to bounce back into being a good L1 side, especially with their backing. Blackpool will get some sort of structure back under Critchley and have their Championship money.

The two most interesting sides for me will be Shrewsbury and Wycombe, both have changed from more direct managers to two younger ones who’ll look to play a little more and that switch in style, with a young manager as well, is a risk but ones that might work for them both.

Northampton are a yo-yo club, so I’ve stuck them there based purely on that and they’ve not caught my eye this summer. I’ve heard very little about Carlisle if I’m honest. Vale have an inexperienced manager and whilst he’s stepping up from being a number two, for every Schumacher at Plymouth, there are also some disasters. You’d fancy Orient to be clear of relegation trouble given how they pissed L2 but Wellens seems to get found out at L1 level - perhaps that was circumstances of the sides he managed, not sure.

If anyone ever works Burton out, let me know. Constantly sign lots of players, have massive squads, usually end up struggling, sacking the manager, the new one gets tune out of the squad and they end up safe. Rinse and repeat. That said, they seem to have recruited fairly well and I think they’ll be comfortably safe this season.

Wigan are gonna have a fight on their hands to stay up I think. What’s happened there can sometimes create a bit of a siege mentality but they’re having to trim the wage bill so much that it’ll probably be a tight season for them.

I think Reading are going to be a side who settle into L1 life like Portsmouth and Charlton have. The latter have made the most eye catching additions this pre-season in my opinion.

Fleetwood, I don’t know whether the whole Pilley thing will spook players and they’ll look for a way out over the next couple of transfer windows but Stockton and Marriott as a front two isn’t bad.

As for us, I’d be amazed if we drew anywhere near as many as last season just because I don’t think it’s possible to draw nearly half your games for two seasons in a row even if you tried! Our defence, on paper at least, is probably weaker with the departure of Poole and his replacement is a 19-year old who’s played the last two seasons mainly as a LB. After a steady first year as a Head Coach, I think Kennedy will try and be a little more entertainingly, although in the second half of last season we were in Play-Off form so I’m not sure we need to change too much. We’ve still got some work to do with the squad though, it just doesn’t feel quite there at the minute but another month or so before the window closes (or is that SLAMMED shut?). We haven’t made any loan signings yet either. I don’t even know how I’ve managed to put us that high really, just happened as I’ve been going through the sides. :lol:
Only two for the automatics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!