Welcome Wrexham

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Lol just caught up on this thread. Aren’t you forgetting Mansfield’s promotion season from the conference when you chucked a ton of money at it?!? The only thing magical about your promotion was the open top bus celebrations.

Budget was smaller that luton’s who didn’t make the playoffs…..

The bud parade was a little comical!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
We’ve never had this experience really, probably because we missed out the ‘being shit and embarrassed by Histon’ bit. Settled straight in as promotion contenders.

We’re definitely ready to come back, but think (particularly if we do it this season) it’ll be remembered fondly more than as a nightmare.

Even the mansfield fans are saying it would be harsh for you to get 100 plus points and not go up.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
The biggest issue Wrexham will have from next season will be the much reduced publicity and how their owners handle that…….Salford never coped with that well at all and still don’t.

Documentary will have to be scrapped because of the EFL rights, L2 just isn’t an interest for media or sky and bad maybe one match vs probably Salford it won’t get coverage and it won’t be weekly wins as before.

Salford should be up now but kept going down panic stricken manager sackings and appointments don’t always get made based of being right man for job. Crowds dip back down when not winning all week.

Can their owners hold nerve and build or will they start like Salford to panic and come up with madcap ideas and publicity stunts

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Well that’s not what I’ve said is it, in fact I said quite the opposite in that we’ve clearly spent money, but not an unusual amount for us or this division. Which is where the difference is with Wrexham buying players from two divisions higher.

Dieng was mostly coming off the bench for Exeter btw, Lapslie and Hawkins both wanted out of Mansfield for whatever reason.

Let’s return to the sustainability talk when you guys start spending your cup cash monies.
You specifically said that you weren't paying players more than their original clubs?

Dieng had 12 starts in L1 too, 5 off the bench.

Happy to return to this when we start spending our cup money but I'm not claiming that we're sustainable. In fact, if you search any of my posts regarding this and Grimsby I've made it clear that our owners have said we're running at a loss and will be for the foreseeable.
Maybe we paid a little extra for a couple of players - but just to improve a squad that was literally built on the thinnest of shoestrings. I don't think fans of other clubs realise quite how in the shit we were financially. I doubt we're paying Wrexham style over the odds wages though, just paying what we can now afford.

We've had a really good year cup wise as well, trips to Brentford and Wolves in the League Cup and televised games at home to Dagenham and Leicester in the FA Cup. That brought in a fair amount and has covered the majority of our January outlays. Bigger crowds since the Galinson's turned up has helped too, with regular 7k+ crowds rather than 4k+ as we were getting before.

As I've said countless times, we've signed a bunch of decent level League Two players. We had to. We've been one of the best teams in the league for nearly half a season consistently, and only in the last few weeks have we moved away from the danger zone so it shows how important those signings were. If we had to pay them an extra £50 a week to get them to move here from the powerhouses that are Exeter and Mansfield then I'd consider that money well spent.

Anyway, Wrexham.
Yeah, I'm certainly not saying you're hitting Wrexham levels of spending but I'd hazard a guess that you've upped those players mentioned wages by a significant amount more than £50 a week.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
The biggest issue Wrexham will have from next season will be the much reduced publicity and how their owners handle that…….Salford never coped with that well at all and still don’t.

Documentary will have to be scrapped because of the EFL rights, L2 just isn’t an interest for media or sky and bad maybe one match vs probably Salford it won’t get coverage and it won’t be weekly wins as before.

Salford should be up now but kept going down panic stricken manager sackings and appointments don’t always get made based of being right man for job. Crowds dip back down when not winning all week.

Can their owners hold nerve and build or will they start like Salford to panic and come up with madcap ideas and publicity stunts
They are nothing like Neville at Salford throwing his weight around, they don't get involved day-to-day and certainly won't be offering their opinion on managerial matters. If anything it'll be better to have less publicity, I'm sure Parkinson and the players would welcome it. They've had a camera crew following their every move for 2 years now. Not sure why you think the documentary will be scrapped though, there's nothing to say it will be and the 'story' is just getting started. There's only so far you can flog it though before it gets boring, does anyone even still watch that Salford one?

Matches will be sold out each week as they have been all season. It's easier to knit fog than it is to get a ticket for a match these days.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United

Salford have still been putting out their series in the EFL.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Salford have still been putting out their series in the EFL.

Their documentary is on Sky though innit. Won't matter though, whoever owns the rights to Wrexham's documentary will just pay what they need to air it.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
No one cares about Salford, it was just the media and even they don't have anything to shout about them anymore, classic hobby club. They have a tiny amount of fans and none on this forum.

How far does Neville even want to take them?
League one is probably the highest they can ever achieve and the amount of fans they get for gates will never be enough to make up for money spent on resources.

They were always proper non league and that's where they should have stayed.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We will need to get used to not winning every week at home, but we won't have to be near perfect to gain promotion like we have been this season. We've lost 1 league game at home in 2 seasons, when we had 10 men for an hour. We won't be scoring 3 goals a game at home anymore and teams will have a lot more pride in performance, there's a load of joke teams in the NL who give up once the first goal goes in.

Lots of things that have been said are accurate, especially the Parkinson stuff. He's still the man to get us from here but we will probably need someone from after the Jurassic period if we end up in L1. The likes of O'Connor, Lee and Mullin are easily good enough for this level and the one above. Mullin takes all the headlines but O'Connor is probably the best player at the club and the one playing most below his real level, a Rolls Royce in defence or midfield. Whenever he's not in the lineup there's an element of panic in the fanbase. I reckon we might bring in 2 into the starting 11 but can't see huge changes. Might be completely wrong but the players I'm reading about positively starring for teams in this league makes me think our team is already good enough. Clubs getting into a bidding WAR for Akil Wright for example.

A keeper is the main priority and I think upgrading Palmer, won't be surprised to see him leave if he's told he won't be first choice. Palmer wasn't trusted in the deciding game of the season which says a lot. We've been messing around with the keeper situation for years now and it needs sorting once and for all.

There was insane pressure to get promotion this season but it won't be as crucial in L2, it won't be a disaster if we don't go up straight away. Stockport are up there this season so on that basis I reckon we will be too. Notts County will be as well, the best coached team I have seen in 15 years down there. I didn't think anyone could play the football they do in that league, be amazed if they don't win the playoffs.

How has Aaron Hayden been doing?

It seems like every time I've caught a Wrexham game on TV he hasn't played, other than one game I saw where he lasted about a minute.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Why would the documentary get scrapped? It's not like they are showing the full game live, it's alternative highlights months after, even if there are any rights to pay for it won't be much for the docu makers in the grand scheme of things.

Also sky being sky they are bound to show 2 or 3 Wrexham matches as their lge 2 Quota for the season.

As for the publicity, the whole thing has been about drumming up publicity in America not the UK, they are even doing an American pre season tour with the premier League clubs, so again won't make a blind bit of difference that it's lge 2 instead of the NL

Dan_Macclad

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield
If anyone knows how to market Wrexham and find revenue streams it’ll be Ryan Reynolds.. The American market, YouTube etc.. they’ll make a fortune.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
If anyone knows how to market Wrexham and find revenue streams it’ll be Ryan Reynolds.. The American market, YouTube etc.. they’ll make a fortune.
I'm not a fan of him personally but the job he's done on the commercial side of Wrexham is insane. Throwing a hissy fit and getting the NL to allow streaming mid-season was an absolute power play.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Well done and welcome back Wrexham - Out of the league for far, far too long.

Happy for the Wrexham fans on here as well, who were a top bunch I thought on the non league forums.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Well done and welcome back Wrexham - Out of the league for far, far too long.

Happy for the Wrexham fans on here as well, who were a top bunch I thought on the non league forums.

The wrexham fans were always decent as you say, long before this circus turned up.

Again it’ll be interesting what happens if they just become a regular standard league 2 club?

Either way, they went down with us, 15 years in that godforsaken shithole.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
The thing with bankrolled teams in general, and Wrexham won't have this problem for a good few years, is what happens if they stagnate for a couple of seasons at the same level or worse, get relegated? Because the bankrolling is fun but then it eventually stagnates (Salford) or ends and the club drops down a level or two (Crawley) or goes bust completely (Rushden and Diamonds).

Wrexham are a unique scenario due to their sudden global appeal. But here's a very good question. Will these new found American fans stick by Wrexham if they end up relegated from the Championship or League One in a few years? My guess is that they won't. You only have to watch American sports to realise how fickle most sports teams fanbases are over there. Experiencing what they call over there a "losing season"? Interest wanes very, very quickly!

We all know how fickle, angry and short-term focused the modern UK football fan is too. What happens after a mediocre season or a relegation? Because it'll eventually happen one day into the project. Do fans end up calling for managers or owners heads? Probably!

dan_wrexhamafc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Haven't been on this forum for a long time but the league 2 forum on the other one is dead so migrating back over. Nice to be back in the league, was still a child when we left now I've got more grey hairs then coloured

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I'm not a fan of him personally but the job he's done on the commercial side of Wrexham is insane. Throwing a hissy fit and getting the NL to allow streaming mid-season was an absolute power play.

Hopefully he will get the football league to ditch that outdated Saturday blackout that would allow ifollow streaming for 3pm Saturday matches.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
He won’t that is why I say it’s different kettle of fish.

EFL is one big enormous desperate money pit, all voting for themselves they won’t give a crap about Wrexham unless they have some sortve financial incentive involved, none care about their own fans let alone other clubs.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
So good to be back in the EFL!

I was a huge advocate for fan ownership personally but I’d imagine that the EFL as an entertainment business would have been desperate for Wrexham to be promoted. Reynolds has undeniable star power and is a very astute businessman, and he will be shining a light on lower league football and the EFL globally. In terms of a publicity machine he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet.

Ultimately this can equate to extra income for all clubs.

I get the argument some have that they will get bored, they will lose interest at some point, but I don’t really see it right now. There is always another promotion to aim for, which means another story to tell, and the riches available if they ever did get to the Premier League are huge.

If it was down to me I’d be very happy with consolidating in league 2 after 15 years in non-league, but it’s pretty clear they won’t do that. Nothing is guaranteed in football of course so who knows how we’ll actually do!

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
So good to be back in the EFL!

I was a huge advocate for fan ownership personally but I’d imagine that the EFL as an entertainment business would have been desperate for Wrexham to be promoted. Reynolds has undeniable star power and is a very astute businessman, and he will be shining a light on lower league football and the EFL globally. In terms of a publicity machine he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet.

Ultimately this can equate to extra income for all clubs.

I get the argument some have that they will get bored, they will lose interest at some point, but I don’t really see it right now. There is always another promotion to aim for, which means another story to tell, and the riches available if they ever did get to the Premier League are huge.

If it was down to me I’d be very happy with consolidating in league 2 after 15 years in non-league, but it’s pretty clear they won’t do that. Nothing is guaranteed in football of course so who knows how we’ll actually do!
I hope, but sadly expect, that we aren’t in the same division next season but I’ll be looking out for your results as I still love Parky despite him being a football dinosaur. From what I can see the owners seem very sincere and even if they left I can’t imagine they’ll saddle you with debt or leave you to rot. I’m sure every fan in league 1 and 2 would swap owners with you I know we would.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
How has Aaron Hayden been doing?

It seems like every time I've caught a Wrexham game on TV he hasn't played, other than one game I saw where he lasted about a minute.
He was playing up until January then got injured in said match against Sheff United and he hasn't played since. He'd have scored 20 goals this season if he was fit all season as he's unstoppable from set pieces.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Some here really downplaying Wrexhams return.

They will fly through this league
More League 2 games will be on Sky next season than has been in the previous 5 combined. The interest in Wrexham is ridiculous - Sky Sports will be all over it, just like BT were.

Hope we can sneak up too

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
He was playing up until January then got injured in said match against Sheff United and he hasn't played since. He'd have scored 20 goals this season if he was fit all season as he's unstoppable from set pieces.
He he scored a few from set plays for us. I liked him, a proper athlete of a defender.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
Some here really downplaying Wrexhams return.

They will fly through this league
More League 2 games will be on Sky next season than has been in the previous 5 combined. The interest in Wrexham is ridiculous - Sky Sports will be all over it, just like BT were.

Hope we can sneak up too
(this took longer than I'm proud to admit)

2OyEZCJ.jpg

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County

The documentary won’t be scrapped and this is just the beginning of their publicity.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I'm already sick of hearing about them to be honest, all this Hollywood style publicity. Is way over the top for a non league side,

I can't imagine Notts Co or Woking, or whoever else comes up, getting anywhere near the same publicity.

Pleased for the fans, but the publicity they get next season is going to piss off other league 2 clubs and fans, in almost the same way Salford have.

If Salford don't go up, I can imagine Sky wilp be going out of their way and schedule to feature their matches with Wrexham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!