Relegation Dogfight Thread

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I always think that Vale, Bristol Rovers and Notts County might be the less fashionable team in their respective city but I feel we've all got way more passion for our team than our neighbours.

I've said before that I know a number of Stoke fans and a lot of them take it or leave it. They often don't go, they rarely talk about them and many of them haven't got a clue who they are playing of a weekend.

Stoke have delusions of grandeur because they won the league Cup over 50 years ago. I'd much rather support the underdog because the high points are so much more rewarding. It's the easy thing to support Stoke in our city because they have had a relatively more successful past than us. I think it takes cajones to support the smaller team.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I always think that Vale, Bristol Rovers and Notts County might be the less fashionable team in their respective city but I feel we've all got way more passion for our team than our neighbours.

I've said before that I know a number of Stoke fans and a lot of them take it or leave it. They often don't go, they rarely talk about them and many of them haven't got a clue who they are playing of a weekend.

Stoke have delusions of grandeur because they won the league Cup over 50 years ago. I'd much rather support the underdog because the high points are so much more rewarding. It's the easy thing to support Stoke in our city because they have had a relatively more successful past than us. I think it takes cajones to support the smaller team.
Over the last 5-6 years have been one of the worst performing teams in the 92. No glamour there.

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge
You cant beat the same City rivalries - hard to imagine having rivals who arent

The flipside is true too, it's hard to imagine hating your own as much another town/city coming into it. More regional pride than city pride I guess, but I guess the imbalances in power between a lot of city derbies comes into it too. It must be shit being Vale/Bristol Rovers/Birmingham City/All the London clubs outside the big boys and having your rival shoved in your face daily. Having Bristol City being just referred to as 'Bristol' by a worrying number of people type stuff. All supposition on my part, of course.

But either way, they both have a different feeling you won't know as primally if you're accustomed to the opposite. Anyway, I'm not in a position to be discussing derby matches so as you were.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
The flipside is true too, it's hard to imagine hating your own as much another town/city coming into it. More regional pride than city pride I guess, but I guess the imbalances in power between a lot of city derbies comes into it too. It must be shit being Vale/Bristol Rovers/Birmingham City/All the London clubs outside the big boys and having your rival shoved in your face daily. Having Bristol City being just referred to as 'Bristol' by a worrying number of people type stuff. All supposition on my part, of course.

But either way, they both have a different feeling you won't know as primally if you're accustomed to the opposite. Anyway, I'm not in a position to be discussing derby matches so as you were.
I don't think anyone understands the rivalry/bitterness unless you live in a two team Town/City. It is not just when you play the team there is a bitterness every day. I've known organised ( lets say coming togethers ) in Park Street & Kingswood in the middle of the week or on a sunday. Every time you are out say Pub/shopping etc there is always the chance of a meet. And yes you are in a position because you live in a 2 team City yourself.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Its slightly different for me as I am not born or grew up in Stoke-on-Trent so I maybe don't have that hatred for Stoke City but if you compare playing them to when we play say Crewe or Walsall its vastly more intense, 10 times more.

We played them in the Pizza Cup against their U21's and it was absolute carnage a few years back, there was a suggestion we may have to postpone the weekends league game at the time due to the damage done to the stadium, notably the toilets, locals had damaged cars (one was written off) and that was just Vale v their U21's!

I dread to imagine how it would be in a league game after 20 plus years would pan out, was there when we last played them at the Britannia Stadium though... Micky Cummins header pea rolling over the line to give us another win... was a nervy walk to the car!

Randolph Haggerty

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Its slightly different for me as I am not born or grew up in Stoke-on-Trent so I maybe don't have that hatred for Stoke City but if you compare playing them to when we play say Crewe or Walsall its vastly more intense, 10 times more.

We played them in the Pizza Cup against their U21's and it was absolute carnage a few years back, there was a suggestion we may have to postpone the weekends league game at the time due to the damage done to the stadium, notably the toilets, locals had damaged cars (one was written off) and that was just Vale v their U21's!

I dread to imagine how it would be in a league game after 20 plus years would pan out, was there when we last played them at the Britannia Stadium though... Micky Cummins header pea rolling over the line to give us another win... was a nervy walk to the car!
The Brit is a walk in the park..
Now, going the vic in the 90’s was scary, there was real nastiness in the potteries derbies.
The hatred between the fans is still real, and although a generation on both sides have never really seen it, it wouldn’t take much for an absolute kick off.
Never forget them twats tried to buy us and shut us down.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

This post is exactly the reason why I'll always respect Vale fans and I'll always retain a hatred towards Stoke. But I grew up in the era when Stoke was our big game so I'll be in a minority.

Them having it so good nearly every year until their PL relegation and their fans still moaning during that successful era, demanding Top 6, Pulis out and fuming when Leicester won the league asking why couldn't they do it used to grate on me weekly when we were getting pumped by the likes of Aldershot and Torquay. It just sums up their entitlement. History will show they're a mid-table Championship club and that they overachieved under a generational manager that they hounded out. It's no surprise they've gone to pot since he left.

As much as I'll find Vale going down amusing, it won't come anywhere near as close to if Stoke went down. About time they had a stint back in the third tier. They'll never be back in the Prem again that's for sure.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Going to the Victoria ground as a boy was intimidating, absolutely horrible. It was a proper old school ground in terraced streets.

The modern day Stoke fan is one who followed them during the Premier league years and promptly gave up on them once relegated. They haven't got much more of a hardcore fan base than we have. Most of my Stoke supporting mates from school (25 years ago) don't really go anymore. Whereas all my Vale supporting mates still do pretty much.

There'll still be idiots (on both sides), but the game has become so sterilised (especially at the Bet365) that you can't imagine the same vitriol.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This post is exactly the reason why I'll always respect Vale fans and I'll always retain a hatred towards Stoke. But I grew up in the era when Stoke was our big game so I'll be in a minority.

Them having it so good nearly every year until their PL relegation and their fans still moaning during that successful era, demanding Top 6, Pulis out and fuming when Leicester won the league asking why couldn't they do it used to grate on me weekly when we were getting pumped by the likes of Aldershot and Torquay. It just sums up their entitlement. History will show they're a mid-table Championship club and that they overachieved under a generational manager that they hounded out. It's no surprise they've gone to pot since he left.

As much as I'll find Vale going down amusing, it won't come anywhere near as close to if Stoke went down. About time they had a stint back in the third tier. They'll never be back in the Prem again that's for sure.
The arrogance they showed when in the Premier League was off the scale. Unfortunately, that also means that in my daughter's year at school (aged 11), there's a lot more Stoke fans. If they drop into league 1, I'll guarantee they'll be supporting Man City next week.

If you're a Vale or a Crewe fan, you're a fan for life through the ups and downs. As I said, Stoke fans are generally a take it or leave it bunch, enhanced by their time in the greedy league, where their expectations were way above their station.

If they go down, they'll get some sub 10k gates next season. They claim to get 20k+ every week but they count all season ticket holders. The reality is more like 12k.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The arrogance they showed when in the Premier League was off the scale. Unfortunately, that also means that in my daughter's year at school (aged 11), there's a lot more Stoke fans. If they drop into league 1, I'll guarantee they'll be supporting Man City next week.

If you're a Vale or a Crewe fan, you're a fan for life through the ups and downs. As I said, Stoke fans are generally a take it or leave it bunch, enhanced by their time in the greedy league, where their expectations were way above their station.

If they go down, they'll get some sub 10k gates next season. They claim to get 20k+ every week but they count all season ticket holders. The reality is more like 12k.
Could be worse, all my family and friends are Leicester, they were incredibly arrogant, especially with me being Vale… recall us first coming down from the Championship and we lost an early season game to Wycombe… “ahhh ahh you lost to Wycombe” (sure it was our first meeting)… enjoyed the FA Cup Quarter Final that year… we’d beaten Wycombe the week before in the return before Roy Essendoh’s moment…

Then all I used to get was “Champions League in 5 years” which I used to chuckle about… we won’t talk about that one though!

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I actually like having no rival or local derby as it’s one less thing to get riled up about in life.
Politicians do enough to raise my blood pressure as it is. So not getting worked up about a local derby is a good thing for me.
And derby is not a derby. Never has been and never will be, although I do get narked by some of their fans with delusions of grandeur. A lot of my mates are rams and they are good lads and I wish them well.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

Stop winding up. Stoke are a proper club

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Stop winding up. Stoke are a proper club
You're too young to know any history about anything. As I said earlier, Portsmouth have been in similar leagues to Vale and at some points have been below us. Just because you've overspent to get to the Premier League doesn't suddenly make you Real Madrid. You're a reasonable sized club in league 1. We're a smallish (but nowhere near the smallest in league 1). Throughout the 90s we were a force to be reckoned with. We've had a terrible 25 years. Maybe you should stop winding up.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Wayne Jacobs and Gary Walsh joining Bruno at Port Vale. Three of my favourite ever City players. Really hope they turn things around and stay up.

Tangerine_tart

Reaction score
Supports
Blackpool
I hadn't realised how deep in it Port Vale are . Especially with the manager they attracted and the signings made in January. Looked destined for midtable . Irreversible from the looks of it sadly.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I hadn't realised how deep in it Port Vale are . Especially with the manager they attracted and the signings made in January. Looked destined for midtable . Irreversible from the looks of it sadly.

Aye we’re done for. Didn’t go today as chose to go play Golf instead and glad I made the right call by the sound of it. Will do Shrews at home next Saturday then I think that’s me done for the season. I refuse to let these bums ruin my Saturday or Tuesday night. Whether I get a ST in L2 will depend on whether certain changes happen at the club in the summer.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Wayne Jacobs and Gary Walsh joining Bruno at Port Vale. Three of my favourite ever City players. Really hope they turn things around and stay up.

It’s an impossible job they have with these players. Remember Jacobs as a player though, was a cracking fullback. Saw him score an absolute thunderbolt against us at VP back in the day.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
It’s an impossible job they have with these players. Remember Jacobs as a player though, was a cracking fullback. Saw him score an absolute thunderbolt against us at VP back in the day.

Aye, he was fantastic. Was with us in League One to the Prem. A genuinely nice guy too.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
You're too young to know any history about anything. As I said earlier, Portsmouth have been in similar leagues to Vale and at some points have been below us. Just because you've overspent to get to the Premier League doesn't suddenly make you Real Madrid. You're a reasonable sized club in league 1. We're a smallish (but nowhere near the smallest in league 1). Throughout the 90s we were a force to be reckoned with. We've had a terrible 25 years. Maybe you should stop winding up.

Again, as much as I hate defending Pompeyblueboy, we didn't overspend to get to the Premier League. Please get your facts straight if you're going to attempt a retort. My advice would be to ignore the dinlo, that's what I've been doing for months.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Our game sounded dull as shit today. Happy to sit back and not commit anyone forward. If that is the agenda for the remainder of the season I will save my money and instead do something else. As that is not entertainment. We have 5 strikers. Fucking use them you moron.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Going to the Victoria ground as a boy was intimidating, absolutely horrible. It was a proper old school ground in terraced streets.

The modern day Stoke fan is one who followed them during the Premier league years and promptly gave up on them once relegated. They haven't got much more of a hardcore fan base than we have. Most of my Stoke supporting mates from school (25 years ago) don't really go anymore. Whereas all my Vale supporting mates still do pretty much.

There'll still be idiots (on both sides), but the game has become so sterilised (especially at the Bet365) that you can't imagine the same vitriol.
You are a romancer comparing yourselves to Stoke. average attendance about 20 odd K

Your last attendance was about 4k in a must win game. your average is about 6k

So dream on mate

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
You are a romancer comparing yourselves to Stoke. average attendance about 20 odd K

Your last attendance was about 4k in a must win game. your average is about 6k

So dream on mate
Do you ever talk about anything else ?
Nobody gives a shit about Stoke.
Nice win for Southampton today by the way. Last minute winner. Boom.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
fk off back to the fourth division where you belong

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Do you ever talk about anything else ?
Nobody gives a shit about Stoke.
Nice win for Southampton today by the way. Last minute winner. Boom.
You aint even got a rival so go join your Port Vale chum in the fourth where you both belong.

folletto

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Cheltenham Charlton is gonna be a fun on on Tuesday, if we lose then it really does pull a lot of teams back into the mix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!