Port Vale v Cambridge Utd

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
So, another season begins and the pain starts all over again.

We're in a bit of an odd situation at the moment, as no one has any clue of how we will line up, which formation we will play and how we will actually do. Outsiders seem to think that we have recruited quite well and we've definitely improved the spine of the team from last season. Our pre-season form has been very patchy and we don't seem to have settled on a formation or way of playing. Having said that, we've had amazing pre-season's before and got relegated, so you can't really pay much mind to the happenings.

We have, however, not really addressed the fact that we never look like scoring an abundance of goals or creating lots of chances. We're kind of relying on Pope (who will score around 20) and Miller who is a bit of a gamble. We've not really got any pacy or creative wingers, and so I can see us struggling to score this season. We've also taken a risk on some unproven non-league talent, so it remains to be seen whether any of this works out.

What we will get from Aspin is hard work and 100% commitment, which should hopefully see us over the line in a few games.

I don't know much about Cambridge, only the fact that they've lost a couple of players over the summer, but the spine of their team is strong, as proven by their demolition of us on the last day of last season. We have signed Legge from them but he looks to have lost what little pace he once had and has been a bit of a liability in pre-season. They're in a better place than us in many ways, as their squad is fairly settled and they know each other.

We need to start well in order to get the new signings to gel but I fear that it will take us a few more games to work out exactly how we should be playing. I'm predicting a best case 1-1, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
I believe that the Curse of the Kettle has been visited upon us. :hb::hb:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Hard to predict as we’ve basically tinkered with all sorts of formations in pre season and players we thought would be decent (Legge) have struggled and ones we were not sure on have stood out (Rawlinson).

We’ve not lost an opening day league fixture for 14 years and have a great record at Vale Park against Cambridge which means we will probably lose!

We are on paper much stronger than last season all be it that wasn’t hard! It may take time to settle on a formation and gel though so kind of going into this a bit blind. Could be a couple of loans before Saturday too, one of which will hopefully be Howkins return which would be a huge boost.

In terms of the creativity and pace I think Aspin personally will look to hit Pope quickly and have Miller and Dodds feed off him rather than hit the flanks too much, think he is focusing on getting the central areas more solid and using Monty and Wozza for example on the break.

Whitfield would have been idea in this squad more than last year to be honest to have that option! The fact he’s loaned out Daniels already though suggests he isn’t looking for pace as a concern.

Fans are slitting wrists because we’ve lost to a couple of league one sided in pre season which is typically Vale! Will get a better picture Saturday when the real business starts. A solid point to start off 1-1 Dodds for us.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Certainly think we will be harder to beat this season. The additions at the back and in midfield will make sure of that. I am, however, still a little bit concerned over Aspins potential to pull out a bizarre team selection/formation even with a significantly better squad and use bizarre tactics that constantly change. I’m still not convinced he knows what his best starting 11 is and what formation we are going to use.

Think it will be a 0-0 draw.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
I'd take a draw but would be hoping for a win. A loss would be a bit of a reality check for a fan base (including me) that has seen little negative (especially on the pitch) since Joe Dunne took over back in February and was given a 3 year contract at the beginning of May. We knew Uche was gone to Hearts before the end of the season and apart from most of us wanting a proven striker to boost our line leader options, the pre-season has gone well - it almost felt it had started early with the 5-0 celebration of Joe's permanent appointment against a Vale side heavy on youngsters in the last game of the season.

Outsiders like Ade Azeez, Emmanuel Osadebe and to a lesser extent Paul Lewis have come back into the frame and have had an excellent pre-season, as have a crop of youngsters who we are likely to see more of in the first team squad in the coming year.

Veterans David Forde and Barry Corr are ready to roll and we have some decent talent for them to help develop and ease their workload.

There are minor injury doubts with Brad Halliday, David Amoo and Jabo Ibhere but I'll be surprised if all 3 don't feature.

Despite the cries to blood youngsters and Azeez's transformation, including 9 goals in the pre-season matches, I expect a conservative start with plenty of options from the bench - something like:

Forde
Halliday, Taylor, Taft, Dunk
Deegan, O'Neil
Lambe, Brown, Maris,
Ibhere

Subs: Mitov, Carroll, John, Amoo, Corr, Azeez, Osadebe

Greg Taylor (and Leon) got to know Ricky Miller pretty well in our FA Cup ties with Dover in 2016. Leon's tackle on him in the replay was one of my highlights of the season. He's the opposite of a team player and doesn't create much but if he gets a chance he invariably puts it a way - I can see Pope creating a few for him and hope Fordey is on form.

I can see a cagey 1 - 1 but hoping for more from my first trip to Vale Park. I know a few who are making Cobblers their first away trip of the season but we should bring decent numbers - maybe 520?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'd take a draw but would be hoping for a win. A loss would be a bit of a reality check for a fan base (including me) that has seen little negative (especially on the pitch) since Joe Dunne took over back in February and was given a 3 year contract at the beginning of May. We knew Uche was gone to Hearts before the end of the season and apart from most of us wanting a proven striker to boost our line leader options, the pre-season has gone well - it almost felt it had started early with the 5-0 celebration of Joe's permanent appointment against a Vale side heavy on youngsters in the last game of the season.

Outsiders like Ade Azeez, Emmanuel Osadebe and to a lesser extent Paul Lewis have come back into the frame and have had an excellent pre-season, as have a crop of youngsters who we are likely to see more of in the first team squad in the coming year.

Veterans David Forde and Barry Corr are ready to roll and we have some decent talent for them to help develop and ease their workload.

There are minor injury doubts with Brad Halliday, David Amoo and Jabo Ibhere but I'll be surprised if all 3 don't feature.

Despite the cries to blood youngsters and Azeez's transformation, including 9 goals in the pre-season matches, I expect a conservative start with plenty of options from the bench - something like:

Forde
Deegan, O'Neil
Lambe, Brown, Maris,
Ibhere

Subs: Mitov, Carroll, John, Amoo, Corr, Azeez, Osadebe

Greg Taylor (and Leon) got to know Ricky Miller pretty well in our FA Cup ties with Dover in 2016. Leon's tackle on him in the replay was one of my highlights of the season. He's the opposite of a team player and doesn't create much but if he gets a chance he invariably puts it a way - I can see Pope creating a few for him and hope Fordey is on form.

I can see a cagey 1 - 1 but hoping for more from my first trip to Vale Park. I know a few who are making Cobblers their first away trip of the season but we should bring decent numbers - maybe 520?

Nice away day in the summer as the Bulls Head I think it is do a BBQ.

Miller may not start, hes only played 45 minutes of pre season due to a disciplinary issue with the EFL from last season meaning he wasn't cleared to play even in pre season until last week. Could be Pope with Dodds behind like the glorious promotion season of 2012/13 or Pope and Quigley if we go 2 up front.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
More than likely my only away game of the season as I'm moving to Canada after the Notts game the week after, so looking forward to this more than usual for an opening game.

Tough start for sure, Vale have certainly improved but hopefully it takes a while for their new signings to settle in and we can exploit what we know about Legge.

Haven't seen any of pre-season, but certainly not reading anything into Azeez's goals. Alan's team looks like what I think most are expecting for us though and difficult to argue much, O'Neill/Present and Lambe/Amoo probably the biggest points of debate.

Can see goals in this one, I'm gonna go for 2-2.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
More than likely my only away game of the season as I'm moving to Canada after the Notts game the week after, so looking forward to this more than usual for an opening game.

Tough start for sure, Vale have certainly improved but hopefully it takes a while for their new signings to settle in and we can exploit what we know about Legge.

Haven't seen any of pre-season, but certainly not reading anything into Azeez's goals. Alan's team looks like what I think most are expecting for us though and difficult to argue much, O'Neill/Present and Lambe/Amoo probably the biggest points of debate.

Can see goals in this one, I'm gonna go for 2-2.

I'd be suprised if Legge plays, hes had a poor pre season compared to Rawlinson who less was expected having signed from TNS

Buxton Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Twitter
@Buxtonvale1
We have a decent record on opening day, and Cambridge have a bad record at our place. What could possibly go wrong?

2-1 home win.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
It's already going wrong(ish) at our end. As feared, Maris to Rotherham is the rumour. The money might fund another striker at this late stage but more likely a loan, with the later window.

If it happens,

Forde
Deegan, O'Neil
Amoo, Lambe, Brown, Maris,
Ibhere

Subs: Mitov, Carroll, John, Amoo, Knowles or Lewis, Corr, Azeez, Osadebe

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
Jevani Brown is out injured but George Maris passed a fitness test this morning

1533367855581.png

jbet

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time I've seen us play Cambridge at home since October 2001. The score that night? 5-0 to the cheeky whites. Same again today please.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time I've seen us play Cambridge at home since October 2001. The score that night? 5-0 to the cheeky whites. Same again today please.

It was indeed, we’ve scored 11 past Cambridge in 3 previous home ties although they’ve scored 9 against us in 3 games at their place (all be it we won one days after our last win against the lardies)

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Happy with the line up, Rawlinson beats Legge to a start well deserved and pretty much as strong as most would have picked although didn’t see it in pre season.

Miller
Oyeleke

Both make it which is a boost.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Loving Miller already! Quality strike!

Been a fairly even game with neither side in too much trouble but we will take that!

Looked ok without creating a great deal, Miller and Pope will be a handful, Oyeleke is like Anthony Grant which we’ve missed big time.

Defence fairly solid bar a free header from a corner.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Ricky Miller is one of those sort of players that you hate playing against but love having. Few blokes by me just said he’s similar to Lee Hughes and I think that’s about right.

Brilliant free kick and he’s had a brilliant half of football. Puts himself about, won the free kick he scored and won another in a dangerous position just before.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Ricky Miller is one of those sort of players that you hate playing against but love having. Few blokes by me just said he’s similar to Lee Hughes and I think that’s about right.

Brilliant free kick and he’s had a brilliant half of football. Puts himself about, won the free kick he scored and won another in a dangerous position just before.

He’s a complete head case! Loved the celebration too! Meant a lot to him!

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Comes out second half, plays a lovely one, two with Pope and wins a penalty and calmly walks off to let Pope take it.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Superb second half we’ve clicked and took Cambridge apart, some lovely football especially the third.

Miller looks a class act. Rawlinson solid. Won last opening game and lost the next six but we actually look fairly decent and could have added another couple especially the blast over with the goal gaping!

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Well deserved win Vale, no complaints from me this time, unlike last year's game when I felt Vale were very poor and yet they still beat us, which says a lot about the U's performance that day. No such thing this time and tbh I felt Vale should have got at least another couple of goals.

I don't tend to read too much into the opening day's results (are Crewe that much better than Morecambe?/Grimsby letting in four goals at home to FGR etc etc) but Port Vale look so much stronger than last season.

Re. the U's I'm sure we missed Jabo, Jevani and Halliday but I don't want to state their absence as the reason for this result, I think Vale would've still beat us today as they looked quite decent.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Genuinely surprised as I didn’t think we would dominate and be so comfortable in this game after a very strange pre-season where we never tried the formation or the starting 11 we played with today.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It’s been a strange pre season with formation experiments and so forth yet never trying our strongest XI which was today.

Oyeleke is a find and Joyce compliments him well. To sum up the improvement in our squad we’ve gone from Tonge and Pugh with zero legs or pace to these two engines! Oyeleke is a machine doing the box to box work that we’ve cried out for.

Aspin has done well with the decision to narrow our wide pitch too which makes it less likely for us to get over run in the middle with two up front.

Excited by the discovery of Rawlinson too. Played for TNS and being a regular on the Champions League ties they’ve played in the past few years but has been outstanding in pre season and you worry they won’t carry it into the league but he did today.

Cautiously optimistic, we did win last year and lost the next six and failed to win the next 10-12 games whatever it was but we just look organised, full of energy and created chances (20 shots is rare for us!)

I’ve missed you Vale these past two years! Glad to have you back.

Aside from that appears the chap in the Paddock who had a cardiac arrest didn’t make it :(

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Solid display, nothing between the sides up to the goal. Miller is nuts, opposition fans will hate him with a passion.
Very cautious as first day throws up all sorts but that was poles apart from last season .
Finally to put things in perspective a guy has gone to enjoy a day out today and not returned to his family. Was only 30 foot from it and the efforts of the Police and paramedics can only be applauded.
Rest in peace fella

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
Reality check delivered and received.

We didn't cope with Pope and Miller. Azeez didn't offer much threat and is barely a back up for Jabo, just an adequate L2 second striker offering the run in behind. Reggie Lambe offered less than Medy - we (especially George Maris) missed Jevani Brown. It might have been different if we'd not gone behind (but we did). Glad to get that out of the system and we go again next saturday.

Otherwise a decent day out - thanks valefan16 for the steer to the Bulls Head. My lactose intolerance meant I had to pass on the cheesy oatcakes but the bacon and black pudding baps were as good as I've had for a while and the beer was up to scratch.

Felt like a proper league fixture, with 2 fanzines vying for attention (Derek and Beano), some decent town centre boozers for a saturday lunchtime (although friday nights may be a bit more lively).

Vale Park was a strange venue, with the lowest rake behind the goal that I've seen in a seated stand and the unfinished Lorne Street Stand, but it livened up once the home team scored.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Glad you enjoyed the Bulls Head.

The Lorne Street has actually been 20 years in the making now! Little bits get added but it’s Burslems answer to the Sagrida Familia in timescale!

The away end was a terrace and seats bolted essentially in the 90s, actually holds 4500 fans in that not that it looks that big due to the low rake.

Glad you enjoyed the day aside from the result, good luck for the rest of the season!

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I Was there as a neutral today.

Thought Cambridge started brightly but Vale eventually got a foothold and 0-0 at HT would have been fair but then up stepped the excellent Miller.

A goal straight after HT and that was game over. Interesting to see a team play a traditional 4-4-2 but Miller and Pope made a great double act this afternoon.

I couldn’t really work Cambridge out on the basis of that one game but Joe Dunne was quietly livid afterwards.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
It’s going to be a long ol season my fellow u’s!!

Reckon you’ll be best off in Canada tom.

KTF

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Big shout out to the Cambridge fans who all took part in the minutes applause on the 13th minute for 13 year old Ryan Evans who tragically passed away a few weeks back.

The second applause on the 23rd minute (which looked like it confused most of you) was for another young lad who I believe took his own life just last week.

Very sad to hear that a gentlemen passed away at the ground today. Gutted he didn’t get to see one of the best performances for a good few year.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Big shout out to the Cambridge fans who all took part in the minutes applause on the 13th minute for 13 year old Ryan Evans who tragically passed away a few weeks back.

The second applause on the 23rd minute (which looked like it confused most of you) was for another young lad who I believe took his own life just last week.

Very sad to hear that a gentlemen passed away at the ground today. Gutted he didn’t get to see one of the best performances for a good few year.

Was being carried out as Miller hit the net. Absolutely tragic and from the high of the game to hearing on the radio he didn’t make it on the way home it was a real bump down to Earth.

Been a tragic few weeks for the Vale family with Ryan’s tragic death in the lake also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!