Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2020/21

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
I've always been one of Hurst biggest defenders, but for me I think it's time for a change.

As I already said he hasn't addressed the obvious weakness in the side in 2 and half seasons.

He also has these runs every season of not winning games, when it happens every season there is a problem, we can not get promotion if this keeps happening.

Yes we have had a tough run of fixtures, but October was a very favourable month for us and we have performed worse than the previous two months.

The defence also seems to have got worse and mistakes happening when we have attacked more, which I think shows on paper at least that we either defend well and settle for 0-0 with the odd 1-0 or go for it and make mistakes. Again something like that can't continue.

As for a Gibraltar coach, I'd be happy with it, I don't think the standard of league should make much difference, rather that than some manager who's been sacked elsewhere. As someone else pointed out that the vast majority of management appointments don't work out. And I posted a month or so ago that Clough at Mansfield is the longest serving manager in the EFL without a promotion at his current club and he's only been there just under 2 years. It's incredible how short of a time managers get to have success, and no matter who you appoint it probably won't work out, so let's try something different. It's also only Nov, we are not in a relegation battle, and most of us agree we have a squad that is not relegation standard, either we believe that or we don't. We've shown in the past that appointing managers that are supposedly successful ones don't actually work out. An up and coming "coach" seems more in line with the culture our owners are trying to achieve with the club, not some has been manager on his next club after his gardening leave money has run out.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Supports
Borrusia
If your football is dull and turgid especially for the huge travelling hoards and the results are frankly shit when playing the good, the bad and the average of L2 you gotta go. From the outside it looks like Grimbo weren't treading water this season they had noticeably regressed. Was the football dull last season also when winning more?
Imho, the football, especially at home was dull last season too. Think we won the last 3 at home which masked the poor fare tbh. As a regular traveller to away games the result and performances, for the majority of the season, were much better away than at home last season.

Nobody can take away from Hurst the unbelievable performances in the NL play offs or the amazing FA Cup run last season beating sides from higher levels at every stage, but the day in day out humdrum matches cost him his job.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Being reported the Crowleys backed out of the Bradford job at the last minute

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Agreed then turned it down due to ‘family reasons’, a bit gutted with that as I think he’s the best of a bad bunch, just classic City though.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
That’s a shame for Bradford, reckon that was a good match.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
The family reasons probably being that the progressive, Moneyball Mariners came calling

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
We’re just not an attractive pick for anyone half decent, everyone talks about the crowds and potential, where we ‘should’ be, but the fact is we’re an absolute circus and not worth the risk to prospective managers.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
This is what has disappointed me about the Hurst sacking. In a matter of weeks he's gone from paramount to our long term vision to being sacked off the back of a relatively short run of poor form (I'll come back to this).

I'm also really surprised that I'm very much in the outlier category on this in terms of our support. Some very short memories being flexed considering we suffered a much more severe loss of form less than two years ago and Hurst was given time and guided us to promotion, the FA Cup QFs and our highest finish since 2006. It 100% boils down to fan pressure and the outcome is grimly reminiscent of the Fenty era. Weeks of Fishy unrest, ownership eventually buckles. Stockwood's interview offers no real reason for the sacking. The language is wishy washy and he trots out phrases such as "the performances haven't been bad" and "we're not getting the rub of the green" while stating he believes we have the quality to rise up the table. It all just seems a bit short sighted.

I'm by no means saying Hurst is blameless. Allowing Crocombe to leave and replacing him with Eastwood was a terrible call. Pyke looks like an absolute duffer of a signing. The midfield is once again lacking any real creativity (yet Alex Hunt remains sidelined or brought in for single matches once every six weeks). There's no real cohesion or plan and Hurst didn't seemed to know his best XI.

It's his squad at the end of the day, but for me that's all the more reason to give him a bit longer. Attacking wise, we're starting to click. It's the defence that has been dropping clangers and I don't think there's a better manager in this division to sort a defence out as there is Hurst. He's also had Rose and Wilson fit and together for such a small handful of matches which is a shame. Vernam's out for ages too, who was probably our flagship signing of the summer. Hurst shouldn't also be held fully accountable for Eisa spooning the ball over from half a yard out when he's got an open net or Rodgers being skinned in the area about six yards out or Eastwood flapping at a cross.

I've gone incredibly optimistic here so hear me out before you all call me out on this as I'm coming at it from the perspective that this is the best case scenario, but I've gone through our fixtures and amended our points total to reflect what kind of realistically could have happened if we'd got the rub of the green on every major decision/chance that has settled matches.

Wimbledon (h) 0-0 - fair result - 1 point
Notts (a) 2-3 defeat - outplayed but not massively so, Notts scored a freak OG - 2 points
Salford (h) 2-0 win - deserved to win this one 5 points
Mansfield (h) 1-1 - one of the two matches this season in which we came away with something we shouldn't have, Mansfield the far better side 5 points
Walsall (a) 1-1 - Danny Rose misses a golden opportunity for us when we're 1-0 up and cruising, we were well on top for most of the second half after a fairly boring first half 8 points
Gillingham (h) 2-0 win - deserved to win this one 11 points
Bradford (a) 1-1 - Bradford equalised in the last few mins with their only shot of the match after we'd been the better side 14 points
Wrexham (a) 0-3 defeat - no complaints at all here, well and truly comfortably beaten, Hurst got his tactics all wrong 14 points
Crawley (h) 2-3 defeat - fairly even match, late Danny Orsi winner scrambled home for them 15 points
Swindon (a) 1-2 defeat - much the better side in the second half, we were definitely worth a point 16 points
Barrow (h) 2-1 win - got away with the points here, won't take all three in my imaginary fantasy points tally as Barrow definitely deserved something 17 points
Tranmere (a) 2-2 - wasn't a classic, but we were probably the better side and had chances to win it 20 points
Accrington (h) 0-2 defeat - Absolute pish match that was petering out to a 0-0 before Waterfall gets sent off for a second yellow after winning the ball for the first, then they score a screamer and a raggy second 21 points
Stockport (a) 2-3 defeat - Stockport should have been out of sight by half time, ripped us a new one and were up there with Mansfield as the best team we've seen....for 45 minutes. We came out and bossed the second half, drew level from 2-0 down and then they score from a contentiously awarded set piece 22 points
Colchester (h) 2-3 defeat - how the fuck we lost this, I don't know. All over them for the vast majority of the second half and they win it with the kind of deflected pot shot that only goes in when you're 20th in the league and haven't won in ages 23 points
Donny (a) 0-1 defeat - didn't watch this but by all accounts it was an even match with us perhaps edging it if anything 24 points

Okay okay okay...I know what you're thinking, this is all ifs and buts and couldda wouldda shoulddas and I'm not disagreeing with any counter argument of that nature because every team can go through their fixtures and point to these kind of things but what is clear from breaking our games down is that a) we have been desperately unlucky an inordinately high amount of times and b) only Wrexham have done us with any ease and looked comfortable doing so. I've talked before about the fine margins of Hurstball and that it's a risky way to play and it's been his undoing this season, however I genuinely believe we're in a false position right now. The players were playing for Hurst. How many teams have come back at Stockport in their own backyard like we did less than two weeks ago? That wasn't the performance of a side that needed an overhaul. We just needed to ride it out as we've seen several times throughout both of Hurst's stints with us that we always come out stronger and more together than before when we've faced adversity.

Stockwood and Pettit under massive pressure to get this appointment right now as we've ditched a safe pair of hands. I can't see how we bring in a better manager than Hurst without tempting one of the ones that looks like an unrealistic option. I pray to God that we're not shopping in the Gibraltar market when perilously poised just above the drop zone from the EFL once again.
I agree we’ve not had the rub of the green this season but it can’t be just bad luck if it happens every week, surely?

I think the thing that’s killed Hurst is that it’s the same issue every year, in other years we were still making progress but this year we’ve gone backwards with more money spent. If the issues were different to before then fair enough, but crap football, not signing decent forwards & a criminal inability to tactically adapt have been issues every single year and he’s never going to resolve those issues IMO.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
We’re just not an attractive pick for anyone half decent, everyone talks about the crowds and potential, where we ‘should’ be, but the fact is we’re an absolute circus and not worth the risk to prospective managers.

The "absolute circus" is also the reason everyone talks about crowds and potential. Look at Frithy, that's all he talks about. Defence mechanism

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
The crowds Bradford get is going against them if anything and will continue to do so until they actually get in someone decent who starts well.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
I'd like to think that the family reasons are wanting to move back to Essex, but it's tough to imagine.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Who'd have thought...

Wonder how they have faired since his appt of the caretaker role. Doesn't look good from the outside.
1-0-6 pre-sacking
2-1-4 post-sacking

Hardly the sort of bounce you'd expect. It's a horrendous appointment, arguably worse than the Dawes one. Adkins is a motivational speaker, not a manager. He has no business being an EFL manager anymore and I really fear for Tranmere.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
1-0-6 pre-sacking
2-1-4 post-sacking

Hardly the sort of bounce you'd expect. It's a horrendous appointment, arguably worse than the Dawes one. Adkins is a motivational speaker, not a manager. He has no business being an EFL manager anymore and I really fear for Tranmere.
It was entirely predictable as soon as he came on board as director of football that he'd end up as manager, providing he wanted the job. He's absolutely done a number on his mate, Palios, to get himself a three year contract, especially given that he's done nothing to address results or performances over the last two months. I'd bite your hand off for 22nd come May.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
The "absolute circus" is also the reason everyone talks about crowds and potential. Look at Frithy, that's all he talks about. Defence mechanism

Is it though, is it, really.

Sausage.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 22

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson
This is what has disappointed me about the Hurst sacking. In a matter of weeks he's gone from paramount to our long term vision to being sacked off the back of a relatively short run of poor form (I'll come back to this).

I'm also really surprised that I'm very much in the outlier category on this in terms of our support. Some very short memories being flexed considering we suffered a much more severe loss of form less than two years ago and Hurst was given time and guided us to promotion, the FA Cup QFs and our highest finish since 2006. It 100% boils down to fan pressure and the outcome is grimly reminiscent of the Fenty era. Weeks of Fishy unrest, ownership eventually buckles. Stockwood's interview offers no real reason for the sacking. The language is wishy washy and he trots out phrases such as "the performances haven't been bad" and "we're not getting the rub of the green" while stating he believes we have the quality to rise up the table. It all just seems a bit short sighted.

I'm by no means saying Hurst is blameless. Allowing Crocombe to leave and replacing him with Eastwood was a terrible call. Pyke looks like an absolute duffer of a signing. The midfield is once again lacking any real creativity (yet Alex Hunt remains sidelined or brought in for single matches once every six weeks). There's no real cohesion or plan and Hurst didn't seemed to know his best XI.

It's his squad at the end of the day, but for me that's all the more reason to give him a bit longer. Attacking wise, we're starting to click. It's the defence that has been dropping clangers and I don't think there's a better manager in this division to sort a defence out as there is Hurst. He's also had Rose and Wilson fit and together for such a small handful of matches which is a shame. Vernam's out for ages too, who was probably our flagship signing of the summer. Hurst shouldn't also be held fully accountable for Eisa spooning the ball over from half a yard out when he's got an open net or Rodgers being skinned in the area about six yards out or Eastwood flapping at a cross.

I've gone incredibly optimistic here so hear me out before you all call me out on this as I'm coming at it from the perspective that this is the best case scenario, but I've gone through our fixtures and amended our points total to reflect what kind of realistically could have happened if we'd got the rub of the green on every major decision/chance that has settled matches.

Wimbledon (h) 0-0 - fair result - 1 point
Notts (a) 2-3 defeat - outplayed but not massively so, Notts scored a freak OG - 2 points
Salford (h) 2-0 win - deserved to win this one 5 points
Mansfield (h) 1-1 - one of the two matches this season in which we came away with something we shouldn't have, Mansfield the far better side 5 points
Walsall (a) 1-1 - Danny Rose misses a golden opportunity for us when we're 1-0 up and cruising, we were well on top for most of the second half after a fairly boring first half 8 points
Gillingham (h) 2-0 win - deserved to win this one 11 points
Bradford (a) 1-1 - Bradford equalised in the last few mins with their only shot of the match after we'd been the better side 14 points
Wrexham (a) 0-3 defeat - no complaints at all here, well and truly comfortably beaten, Hurst got his tactics all wrong 14 points
Crawley (h) 2-3 defeat - fairly even match, late Danny Orsi winner scrambled home for them 15 points
Swindon (a) 1-2 defeat - much the better side in the second half, we were definitely worth a point 16 points
Barrow (h) 2-1 win - got away with the points here, won't take all three in my imaginary fantasy points tally as Barrow definitely deserved something 17 points
Tranmere (a) 2-2 - wasn't a classic, but we were probably the better side and had chances to win it 20 points
Accrington (h) 0-2 defeat - Absolute pish match that was petering out to a 0-0 before Waterfall gets sent off for a second yellow after winning the ball for the first, then they score a screamer and a raggy second 21 points
Stockport (a) 2-3 defeat - Stockport should have been out of sight by half time, ripped us a new one and were up there with Mansfield as the best team we've seen....for 45 minutes. We came out and bossed the second half, drew level from 2-0 down and then they score from a contentiously awarded set piece 22 points
Colchester (h) 2-3 defeat - how the fuck we lost this, I don't know. All over them for the vast majority of the second half and they win it with the kind of deflected pot shot that only goes in when you're 20th in the league and haven't won in ages 23 points
Donny (a) 0-1 defeat - didn't watch this but by all accounts it was an even match with us perhaps edging it if anything 24 points

Okay okay okay...I know what you're thinking, this is all ifs and buts and couldda wouldda shoulddas and I'm not disagreeing with any counter argument of that nature because every team can go through their fixtures and point to these kind of things but what is clear from breaking our games down is that a) we have been desperately unlucky an inordinately high amount of times and b) only Wrexham have done us with any ease and looked comfortable doing so. I've talked before about the fine margins of Hurstball and that it's a risky way to play and it's been his undoing this season, however I genuinely believe we're in a false position right now. The players were playing for Hurst. How many teams have come back at Stockport in their own backyard like we did less than two weeks ago? That wasn't the performance of a side that needed an overhaul. We just needed to ride it out as we've seen several times throughout both of Hurst's stints with us that we always come out stronger and more together than before when we've faced
Wasn't expecting to see a 'No Rigs' league table from Son of Cod

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers

Who'd have thought...

Wonder how they have faired since his appt of the caretaker role. Doesn't look good from the outside.
Nigel's record is little better than Dawes since joining Rovers. Even if he manages to get his post Southampton win rate for the rest of the season, (just over a third) might not get enough points to keep us up.

Looking at our forums, there seems to be a big gulf between those like myself who have doubts given his record with us so far, against those who think it's a great appointment and we couldn't attract anyone with a better management record. We'll see,

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Anyway, I have no idea who we're going to appoint now. Is there anyone left?

Edit: Ainsworth and Gary Rowett both appeared on the betting list. Wouldn't be happy with Holden or Alexander. I'd take Artell over those two. Leam Richardson would be my preference although wouldn't mind us taking a chance on the Barnet manager.

Last edited:

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Agreed then turned it down due to ‘family reasons’, a bit gutted with that as I think he’s the best of a bad bunch, just classic City though.
The Cowley’s would want full control over transfers, would your set up allow for that?

They would have been my preferred choice too but with a DoF and a Head of Recruitment it was always unlikely.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
The Cowley’s would want full control over transfers, would your set up allow for that?

They would have been my preferred choice too but with a DoF and a Head of Recruitment it was always unlikely.
We have Stephen Gent who is our head of recruitment. Think plenty of fans of would be happy to see the back of him, especially if it meant the Cowley's coming in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!