Stickied League One Away Support Thread 2023/24

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Did you come up for it mate? Waiting on a City Plymouth weekend game for Lakota afterwards, hopefully you come up and we survive this year.

No I didn’t, can’t do the Tuesday evening aways due to work. Not doing Rovers this year either and it’s on my birthday and I’m fed up of going there!

Think you’ll stay up but don’t see us threatening the playoffs like last year, looks so far as if we’ve gone for quantity not quality but time will tell hopefully we gel!

An FA Cup tie at Ashton Gate would be nice!

Reactions: JJH

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Wimbledon away sold out (735 ticket allocation)

And not far off 2,000 tickets sold for our Wednesday night jaunt to Gillingham.

On the home front our League Cup game tonight against Sheff Wed will probably be our lowest competitive gate at the SoL. Which surely will be beaten by our Checkatrade Trophy fixtures in a few weeks time.

That's insane.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Why are teams taking such good away followings for the Carabao Cup 1st round ffs?

Do people not remember that we don't care about this trophy unless you get a top away game?

Yes Coventry, I'm looking at you specifically

I'm shocked we took a 1000. We play them again in a few weeks in the league. I bet we won't take anywhere near that (albeit on sky).

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Those Sunderland figures for Gillingham are incredible.
Probably the best following I've seen at this level. Not only the distance, but the away end is not appealing.

Fully expect Sunderland to sell the 6000 at the Ricoh.

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
No surprise really, Sunderland will sell out most places in this league. No other club in this division this season comes close to them in terms of stature and following.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I don't even want to go to Gillingham on a Wednesday night.

Crazy numbers.

Jamo

Reaction score
Supports
Barnsley
Why in the name of blue Christ have so many Sunderland fans decided they fancy a midweek trip to an open away end in Kent? Phenomenal support.

Caer

Reaction score
Supports
Sunderland
Fully expect Sunderland to sell the 6000 at the Ricoh.

It's a shame the game was moved for Sky as that may sway a few to stay at home. Although the added edge over some of our fans dislike of Coventry (you nicked city of culture off us now) means it'll probably be a good albeit hostile atmosphere.

I'm not reading too much into the Gillingham figure at the moment as I suspect some people have been buying tickets to get the loyalty point for some lower allocations down the line. Probably come match day the attendacne will be closer to 1,500 but you never know.

Last edited:

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
It's a shame the game was moved for Sky as that may sway a few to stay at home. Although the added edge over some of our fans dislike of Coventry (you nicked city of culture off us now) means it'll probably be a good albeit hostile atmosphere.

I'm not reading too much into the Gillingham figure at the moment as I suspect some people have been buying tickets to get the loyalty point for some lower allocations down the line. Probably come match day the attendacne will be closer to 1,500 but you never know.

Which is still incredible. We're the only ones likely to take more than that* but we are only 40 odd minutes away!

*Pompey, perhaps.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Which is still incredible. We're the only ones likely to take more than that* but we are only 40 odd minutes away!

*Pompey, perhaps.

Southend too sometimes. Depends how they're doing.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Gas just scraped 1k for Wycombe Saturday at 20 quid a time, much better supported than us ay blademan89

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Gas just scraped 1k for Wycombe Saturday at 20 quid a time, much better supported than us ay blademan89
:lol:

So there are 218 seats left in the away end with it only going onto general sale on Monday & we've "just scraped" it.

It will be a sell out ya plonker

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
:lol:

So there are 218 seats left in the away end with it only going onto general sale on Monday & we've "just scraped" it.

It will be a sell out ya plonker
Wycombe allocate 2,300, you had the whole end there the other year when Clarkson scored the goal to keep you up....

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Wycombe allocate 2,300, you had the whole end there the other year when Clarkson scored the goal to keep you up....
Not sure if it was available then as their website only shows 218 tickets available for this game. Also, the game is all ticket.

Also - just for the fun of it - our away support is much better than yours in comparison for fan base size. In fact, yours is quite shocking in proportion to your home attendances.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Not sure if it was available then as their website only shows 218 tickets available for this game. Also, the game is all ticket.

Also - just for the fun of it - our away support is much better than yours in comparison for fan base size. In fact, yours is quite shocking in proportion to your home attendances.
Yeah exactly, so you've not even got half way to selling the away end out. I thought you'd piss it.

Maybe so, never disputed your away support is decent for a club your size, but that's because you're a small club. We got more in the cup against Plymouth the other night than you get at home for 9/10ths of the season, and have averaged more than you away from home ever since records have been kept.

Don't need to cockwave over Rovers, your fans know the score but I'm the first to praise a good Rovers following, so I'll also be the first to knock a shit one.

Jamo

Reaction score
Supports
Barnsley
I can't ever recall City bringing more than 800 odd to Oakwell since I started going regularly 10 years ago (with our followings down there usually just as small). I reckon Rovers will top that this season.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Accrington have today decided to make Saturday’s game all-ticket for away fans which is a shame, read today we had sold close to 900 tickets so a following of over 1,000 wasn’t out of the question.

Southend too sometimes. Depends how they're doing.

Fair point, hadn’t thought about Southend.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
No surprise really, Sunderland will sell out most places in this league. No other club in this division this season comes close to them in terms of stature and following.

Sunderland are a very big club in terms of fan-base but it's often surprising to see their post-war honours list.
Same with Newcastle really, phenomenal fan base but a lack of recent success.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City

I'm massively looking forward to it. First home game for about 5 years with some added bite.
Hoping Coventry fans turn up, but sky may have damaged a possible big crowd.

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Sunderland have traditionally had a big away support no matter what league they find themselves in. Having a large fanbase with many exiles always help. This season they also have the added big fish in a small pond effect generating more interest. Even if they don't have a good season I expect them to sell out every away game.
We have sold out the Motorpoint stand at Peteborough and have been given an another allocation in the North stand. Good followings on the road for the first two away league games albeit relatively local games. Counts for nothing if we don't get any points.

djs

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

They've only given us 1800, same as last year. We have had 2300 in that end years ago, in fact we had the end plus virtually the whole of the main stand once.
Guessing the reduced allocation is something to do with unallocated seats, but may be wrong.

villa loyal

Reaction score
Supports
aston villa
Sunderland have traditionally had a big away support no matter what league they find themselves in. Having a large fanbase with many exiles always help. This season they also have the added big fish in a small pond effect generating more interest. Even if they don't have a good season I expect them to sell out every away game.
We have sold out the Motorpoint stand at Peteborough and have been given an another allocation in the North stand. Good followings on the road for the first two away league games albeit relatively local games. Counts for nothing if we don't get any points.
Last season they rarely sold out away and had a few minus 1k followings. They averaged 1700 which ain't bad considering how poor they were and the distances they travel, but their support overall definitely declined. They also only used to take the smallest allocation possible in the premier league for a lot of games, a bit like we did in our relegation battle seasons.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
It’s all new this season for them, new grounds and many with reduced away ends so not surprising they are selling out especially as they will probably feel they will win most of not all their games. It will be interesting if they aren’t in the top few at Xmas if their support begins to wain

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
It’s all new this season for them, new grounds and many with reduced away ends so not surprising they are selling out especially as they will probably feel they will win most of not all their games. It will be interesting if they aren’t in the top few at Xmas if their support begins to wain

This.

They’ll sell out almost everywhere. Most of their fans will expect to win promotion this year so it’s a novelty for them.

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Last season they rarely sold out away and had a few minus 1k followings. They averaged 1700 which ain't bad considering how poor they were and the distances they travel, but their support overall definitely declined. They also only used to take the smallest allocation possible in the premier league for a lot of games, a bit like we did in our relegation battle seasons.
Bearing in mind whats been going on at the club over that past few years its no surprise their support has declined. A decline which would affect nearly every club in the country. The 1700 average in the championship is still very good as you state. You can't underestimate their support and their big club tag in this league. Other big clubs have been down here and struggled but for the most part have sold out their away allocation, partly due to the smaller grounds but mainly because of who they are.
We played Sunderland last weekend and on that performance I cant see them having a bad season. If they as expected are in the promotion hunt the crowds will flock back to the SOL which will mean an even greater demand for away tickets.

villa loyal

Reaction score
Supports
aston villa
Bearing in mind whats been going on at the club over that past few years its no surprise their support has declined. A decline which would affect nearly every club in the country. The 1700 average in the championship is still very good as you state. You can't underestimate their support and their big club tag in this league. Other big clubs have been down here and struggled but for the most part have sold out their away allocation, partly due to the smaller grounds but mainly because of who they are.
We played Sunderland last weekend and on that performance I cant see them having a bad season. If they as expected are in the promotion hunt the crowds will flock back to the SOL which will mean an even greater demand for away tickets.
If they storm the league like some predict then they will probably average 30k+. Winning is winning, no matter what league you're in.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
It’ll be interesting to see what we give them on the 6th October. Judging by Barnsley’s recent sell-out, we’re allocating circa 2,550 - 1,200 of which, are situated in the East Stand, along the side of the pitch.

Although we have around 2,500 ST holders in the East Stand, it does make me wonder if the club will consider relocating them in other areas of the ground. If the demand is there, I’m sure we’ll have to consider. East and South stand hold 6,300+.

Sure this will go down well with WYP.

finley

Reaction score
Supports
bradford city
It’ll be interesting to see what we give them on the 6th October. Judging by Barnsley’s recent sell-out, we’re allocating circa 2,550 - 1,200 of which, are situated in the East Stand, along the side of the pitch.

Although we have around 2,500 ST holders in the East Stand, it does make me wonder if the club will consider relocating them in other areas of the ground. If the demand is there, I’m sure we’ll have to consider. East and South stand hold 6,300+.

Sure this will go down well with WYP.
Not a chance,it’ll never happen.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah exactly, so you've not even got half way to selling the away end out. I thought you'd piss it.

Maybe so, never disputed your away support is decent for a club your size, but that's because you're a small club. We got more in the cup against Plymouth the other night than you get at home for 9/10ths of the season, and have averaged more than you away from home ever since records have been kept.

Don't need to cockwave over Rovers, your fans know the score but I'm the first to praise a good Rovers following, so I'll also be the first to knock a shit one.
Do they normally give 2 stands then? I've never been to Wycombe so I'm not sure as the stand behind the goal (and on the website) is the one that says away stand. As you know though, making a game all ticket drops numbers massively. Still nonetheless, if the away end is 2,300 - then 1,000 is bad for us.

Bit of a weird statement though, as you've only really grown in numbers in the 2 years - you're not as big as you think you are, that's for sure. In fact when you won L1 last time, your attendances in last seasons league would have sat 4th, pushing us down to 9th. Whilst I can't argue with your numbers (your home is much better than ours in numbers) I'm sure you had some very cheap tickets to attract the fans in with probably 1,000+ Plymouth fans.

RE the point on getting higher than records have ever began - again weird statement, it's like me saying well Aston Villa have got larger away attendances than you lot since records began - it's a bit obvious isn't it? Doesn't really need saying. Instead, rather look at your percentage of your home crowds that travel away. I remember a Barnet fan once telling me that teams should always aim for around 10%, which kinda stuck with me ever since - so we're roughly around that mark, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Yours however hasn't grown at all really since the upturn in home attendances which makes you wonder, who are these extra people turning up & why don't they ever travel away?

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Do they normally give 2 stands then? I've never been to Wycombe so I'm not sure as the stand behind the goal (and on the website) is the one that says away stand. As you know though, making a game all ticket drops numbers massively. Still nonetheless, if the away end is 2,300 - then 1,000 is bad for us.

Bit of a weird statement though, as you've only really grown in numbers in the 2 years - you're not as big as you think you are, that's for sure. In fact when you won L1 last time, your attendances in last seasons league would have sat 4th, pushing us down to 9th. Whilst I can't argue with your numbers (your home is much better than ours in numbers) I'm sure you had some very cheap tickets to attract the fans in with probably 1,000+ Plymouth fans.

RE the point on getting higher than records have ever began - again weird statement, it's like me saying well Aston Villa have got larger away attendances than you lot since records began - it's a bit obvious isn't it? Doesn't really need saying. Instead, rather look at your percentage of your home crowds that travel away. I remember a Barnet fan once telling me that teams should always aim for around 10%, which kinda stuck with me ever since - so we're roughly around that mark, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Yours however hasn't grown at all really since the upturn in home attendances which makes you wonder, who are these extra people turning up & why don't they ever travel away?
Christ Gassy - when we were last in this division there were only 2 games that didn't sell out, the only reason we averaged 12k that year was because of the stadium redevelopment, we had 2 and a half stands available to us.

The supporters have always been there, but it's taken us a while to get up to speed off the pitch and since we have and become a bit more "family friendly" shall we say, they've started coming through the gate every week. We've averaged around 1,300 for the last 3 seasons away from home, not too bad, especially with the amount of away games we had on Friday nights cos of Sky last year.

I don't think we're massive - I know what we are, and that's much bigger than Rovers in every aspect. A "home to away fan ratio" is really all you've got isn't it, and even that argument doesn't hold up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!