Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair to PNE they generally seem to play these players too. I remember being somewhat suprised when they took Hugill off us but well look at how he got on there. Oddly he runs Gareth Ainsworth close as our biggest money maker despite us not actually selling him!

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
We all know nowaday when a player wants to move , he moves! Plain and simple, many ways for the player/agent to manufacture a move. I would say the ball is ultimately in their camp more than the chairmans’

Great position for Mansfield to be in, it’s a win : win

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Aye, that's all fair enough but the guy is 24 in March, only takes one injury and a failed promotion bid and he's a League Two player who might not get another shot at the Championship.

We wouldn't be paying him £10k a week I don't think, that's the top end of our pay scale.

But yeah all depends on your chairman's resolve really, we're not exactly free spending, so we might not even up our offer. Could be a similar case to Ryan Ledson when we held firm and waited till the summer.

Trust me he will get another shot, he’s constantly improving still.

Well CJ is probably already on around 3k p/w after his new contract, so I imagine you’ll have to add a couple on to that.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Trust me he will get another shot, he’s constantly improving still.

Well CJ is probably already on around 3k p/w after his new contract, so I imagine you’ll have to add a couple on to that.

I'm not in the know or anything but i'd say our average wage is probably about £6/£7k, not including the kids, with the key players maybe earning around £10k/£11k. At a guess.

I know nothing about the guy to be honest, not even sure what type of player he is, or his best position.

Like I say, wouldn't hold my breath on us bettering an offer of £750k, other clubs might be more of a worry.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
One in three out so far for us, Matt Worthington, Theo Archibald and Ben Morris have gone back to their parent clubs. Expect a couple of signings before Oldham. Danny Mayor is now officially an FGR player but will stay on loan at Bury whilst their board work out a way of breaking the news to their fans without causing a riot

Moss Rose Silkmen

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield
No names for trialists (6 of them), apparently they are tall. The people listed (8 or 9) are mostly people you'd expect/be happy to see go. Not sure if them being on trial means they are without a club at the moment or not.
My predictions for the list are: TAYLOR, LOWE, HODGKISS, VINCENTI, MARSH, FITZ, GRIMES, EVANS.

Hope I'm wrong about Evans and Fitzpatrick though.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Idris Kanu has been returned to Peterborough, barely got a look in again but provided one of the better memories this season with the 95th minute mental against Exeter.

Leaves us currently with pretty much Tom Pope up front with Ricky Miller not involved currently. Dior Angus returns as does Dan Turner but lacking real first choice options so assume a striker will be a priority.

Hamez

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@jarmstrong_10
Hamilton is quick, really quick. He scares the life out of defenders at this level with his sheer pace. Not sure how that'd translate to Championship football quite yet. Not sure he's quite ready for that level of football yet, but you never know i suppose.

His end product is improving. This is his best year for goals & assists. Flitcroft (eventually) has deployed him much further up the pitch in the last 3 months, and he's been brilliant pretty much every game.

Would be absolutely gutted to lose him, especially in January. Ideally, i'd like us to hold tight and let him go in the summer, but i'd understand from both parties if we accepted and he wanted to leave. Its a massive opportunity for him. He seems a really nice guy too, really level headed & everyone at the club loves him.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Rumour has it from Scunthorpe that we're set to sign Tony McMahon (a player they've been looking at) from Oxford tomorrow in time for our game at Morecambe.

As he can play at RB and CDM, not only is he cover for Paul Green, he'll also be cover for Perry Ng which means we'll be sending Corey Whelan back to Liverpool along with Kevin O'Connor to Preston. Whelan was decent cover but was horribly exposed against Bury on NYD whereas O'Connor has been one of the worst signings we've made since we were relegated back to this level in 2016. So I think this is a good signing on our part, especially considering he's played the bulk of his career in the Championship and League One.

I assume McMahon's signing will be permanent as opposed to a loan which will allow us to move Brad Walker on to Wrexham. I've heard Michael Raynes may also be leaving the club permanently to Salford. Hopefully this frees up wages for an attacking player or two with pace. We've been after Callum Cooke (a previous loanee) from Peterborough on loan but may hit a stumbling block with his wages. But signing McMahon is definitely a step in the right direction for us if it's true!
We'll see. Artell's signings have been very hit and miss. Better than Davis' constant misses mind, but still, wouldn't say this is a nailed on good signing. After all, he signed Walker, Raynes, Stubbs, Grant, Barlaser, Nicholls and O'Connor, plus possibly Sterry and Whelan, all of whom added very little. But, he did hit on Cooke, Bowery, Nolan, Green, McKirdy and Miller. Jury's out.

Hard to replace Green, his all action style in that midfield area is something I haven't seen in a long time, finding another like him will be very difficult.

Last edited:

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Idris Kanu has been returned to Peterborough, barely got a look in again but provided one of the better memories this season with the 95th minute mental against Exeter.

Leaves us currently with pretty much Tom Pope up front with Ricky Miller not involved currently. Dior Angus returns as does Dan Turner but lacking real first choice options so assume a striker will be a priority.
97th. Yes it still hurts

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Yeah well that’s because you are looking at from one side like a drongo.

How many players go up to the Championship too early, don’t play enough, stunt the progress of their career? LOADS. He’s still going to get the opportunity if he stays, and he’s enjoying his football still earning a couple of grand a week all the while playing the best football of his career.

Maybe a loan back is a option but we are only allowed one more I think, either way it’s highly likely he will not get enough game time at Preston, playing is the most important aspect of a career.

Am sure some do go to high too quickly and stall their career, however in todays world he'll make more money in 18 months on the bench at a championship club than he will in 5 years at Mansfield if things didn't work out and he got no offers in 6 months time.

Plus like others said his CV will look far better having been a championship player than a lge 2 promotion.

I agree players should go where they will get games and develop, Bogle made the wrong move going to Wigan instead of staying with us till the end of the season. But he is far better off financially for doing it. Football is a short career and in 99% of players money and ambition talk far more than loyalty and if the club accepted an offer he would be a fool to turn it down to stay and try and get promotion from lge 2

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Am sure some do go to high too quickly and stall their career, however in todays world he'll make more money in 18 months on the bench at a championship club than he will in 5 years at Mansfield if things didn't work out and he got no offers in 6 months time.

Plus like others said his CV will look far better having been a championship player than a lge 2 promotion.

I agree players should go where they will get games and develop, Bogle made the wrong move going to Wigan instead of staying with us till the end of the season. But he is far better off financially for doing it. Football is a short career and in 99% of players money and ambition talk far more than loyalty and if the club accepted an offer he would be a fool to turn it down to stay and try and get promotion from lge 2

Don’t think that’s true going off what’s said on here.

It’s not just about the promotion, what you can’t see is how much he’s improving for Mansfield in a perfect environment, I watch him every week, staying here until the summer is only going to improve his career and money earning opportunities, he’s got a legitimate chance to earn more than what Preston are ever going to offer him.

If he goes it’s likely to be pretty mutual, it will mean a incredible offer has come in, and he’s happy to be given the chance of championship football and a wage rise (he could probably demand and get 5k p/w at Mansfield if the offer is true)

Taking in to account the £750,000 rejected offer seems legitimate, it’s probably going to take seven figures to lure him away OR him pushing it which is unlikely but ya never know it’s definitely possible.

Now if somebody rumoured like West Brom came in, that’s definitely a 5 figure weekly salary and a different story. But then again game time would be even more harder to come by, its tricky.

Hamez

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@jarmstrong_10
Don't mind a couple of clubs coming in for him. If he's going to go, let's get the best deal we can for us.

Hopefully we can learn from clubs like Luton, who have sold players in the past for good money, put on sell on clauses & reap the rewards later on.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Our activity this window so far reads as thus

Contracts ending
Anthony Gerrard - contract extension offered
Luke O'Reilly - released
Louis Gray - contract extension signed
Jordan Holt - released

Half-season loans ending
Jack Sowerby - extension largely agreed
Jerry Yates - recalled by Rotherham, in talks to bring back
Ashley Nadesan - to be recalled by Fleetwood after Mansfield game, future uncertain
Adam Campbell - returned to Morecambe

Transfer Listed
Gary Miller
George Glendon
Richie Bennett
Mike Jones

The above four won't be forced out I don't think, Jones and Bennett I think are listed at their own request and Bennett's come off the bench in the last couple of games. It's just that old chestnut of 'need to be playing regular football'. We have a pretty small squad and lack of finances so can't afford to be cancelling players contracts.

Anyway, this leaves us with the following squad, excluding transfer listed players (Joe Fryer broke his leg early on in the season and is back at 'Boro receiving treatment, but we did have him on a full-season loan so he's still technically a Carlisle player)

Goalkeepers
Adam Collin
Joe Fryer
Louis Gray

Defenders
Anthony Gerrard
Gary Liddle
Macaulay Gillesphey
Tom Parkes
Danny Grainger
Keiron Olsen

Midfielders
Kelvin Etuhu
Jamie Devitt
Regan Slater
Max Brown
Jack Sowerby
Jason Kennedy
Liam McCarron

Forwards
Hallam Hope
Sam Adewusi
Charlie Birch

We'll be needing forwards, Bennett will likely get opportunities since we're short in that area, but assuming he doesn't find his scoring touch, even if he does, we'll still be short. Hopefully one of these will be Jerry Yates but in the short term, he isn't available. Nadesan is unlikely to return, we'd probably need to buy him and we can't afford that. We also need defenders as we're a bit short, particularly at right back, though a good centre back wouldn't go amiss. Sheridan has apparently started talks with two players already.

We still don't have any money; things haven't changed in that respect since the start of the season, the only hope is that as we have forced our way into the play-off places, someone *cough* Edinburgh Woolen Mill *cough* who may have been thinking of investing could be tempted to invest more to see us promoted.

EWM don't seem particularly keen on increasing their involvement with the club, but they have invested 1.5 million already (to save us from bankruptcy), and put David Holsworth onto our board. Holsworth seems to have the ear of EWM and as the person in charge of recruitment, maybe... just maybe, he can convince them that if they want to see the value of their investment grow then there is no better time than right now to follow it up with more. Nobody else is likely to touch us with a bargepole due to our esoteric boardroom, they're totally ineffective at doing what they tell us their number one role is, to bring in investment, and I'm not sure even EWM want to place their money in the hands of people like Nixon and Pattinson, we shall see. Maybe those two along with Jenkins can be encouraged to take a bit of a step back... again... and stick to it this time.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

I don't think Bogle necessarily made the wrong move going to Wigan. He made the wrong move kicking his toys out the pram and forcing a move out of there when they went down to L1. He would have had a superb season alongside the likes of Powell, Grigg, etc. in what was probably the right division for him at that point in his career.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
It’s not just about the promotion, what you can’t see is how much he’s improving for Mansfield in a perfect environment, I watch him every week, staying here until the summer is only going to improve his career and money earning opportunities, he’s got a legitimate chance to earn more than what Preston are ever going to offer him.

Yeah and he could also get injured next week and be stuck in lge 2 or lower for the rest of his career. If a bid was accepted he would have a legitimate offer now to play at a championship club on far more money than he is now.

We can all look at things rationally and say developing more and hoping something better comes along in the future is better but when that offer is available now, would you seriously turn down a move to higher paid job at higher level in a career that only lasts 15ish years?

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
I don't think Bogle necessarily made the wrong move going to Wigan. He made the wrong move kicking his toys out the pram and forcing a move out of there when they went down to L1. He would have had a superb season alongside the likes of Powell, Grigg, etc. in what was probably the right division for him at that point in his career.

Nah I disagree I think going from scoring 20 goals in lge 2 before Christmas to a relegation battling side in the championship was the wrong move.

I agree with Conker on that, he would have been better staying and continue to improve and go to Leeds (who came in at the eleventh hour) and being at a club where he could improve more and have goalscoring opportunities.

However like I've said above you can't turn down moving up 2 leagues on far more money than you would ever earn at lge 2 in a career such as football.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
To be fair, clubs like West Brom tend to go for higher profile players, part of our transfer policy seems to be trying to hoover up talent who are generally overlooked by the bigger clubs in the league.

We seem to be competing with the likes of Wigan & Millwall when we go for players and they pay similar wages.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Don't mind a couple of clubs coming in for him. If he's going to go, let's get the best deal we can for us.

Hopefully we can learn from clubs like Luton, who have sold players in the past for good money, put on sell on clauses & reap the rewards later on.

The biggest thing we need to learn is finding more gems like CJ so we can make a mint.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Well, Tony McMahon unsurprisingly opted for Scunthorpe over us. Struggling L1 team over struggling L2 team, easy decision. Wonder how much Artell was relying on that one coming through and where that leaves his transfer plans?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Nah I disagree I think going from scoring 20 goals in lge 2 before Christmas to a relegation battling side in the championship was the wrong move.

I agree with Conker on that, he would have been better staying and continue to improve and go to Leeds (who came in at the eleventh hour) and being at a club where he could improve more and have goalscoring opportunities.

However like I've said above you can't turn down moving up 2 leagues on far more money than you would ever earn at lge 2 in a career such as football.
Okay, perhaps going to Wigan wasn't the correct choice but I still maintain that forcing a move out of there was an even worse decision given the season they had, the type of football they played, the players that would have been around him and the stage of his career.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Well, Tony McMahon unsurprisingly opted for Scunthorpe over us. Struggling L1 team over struggling L2 team, easy decision. Wonder how much Artell was relying on that one coming through and where that leaves his transfer plans?
Closer to home for him and also back under McCall.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

The more I read about this, the more I think we only made an enquiry and Oxford leaked it to get Scunthorpe to pay a bigger wage contribution.

Makes no sense for a Scunthorpe journalist to say we were favourites to sign him only for him to do a complete U turn 12 hours later UNLESS this was the case.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Harry Cardwell has signed a contract extension until the end of next season. Young player that gives nothing less than 100% every game but I thought he'd likely be one to replace at the end of this season. Jolley seems to have a lot of faith in him though and hopefully he can improve with games but he's a solid backup option at best for me.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The biggest thing we need to learn is finding more gems like CJ so we can make a mint.

We have tried in the past and got retards like Ollie Palmer.

I think Sam Clucas was the one which would have got JR thinking, given we sold him for £80k to Chesterfield as his contract was coming to an end.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
We have tried in the past and got retards like Ollie Palmer.

I think Sam Clucas was the one which would have got JR thinking, given we sold him for £80k to Chesterfield as his contract was coming to an end.

I never got that transfer. Considering a year before you basically threw a load of money at him wage wise considering we offered him a decent (but not amongst our high earning) contract to play for us in League One only for you to sell him for an absolute pittance to your biggest rivals the following year.

That said, I'm glad for the sake of his career he went to you lot because Davis would've absolutely ruined him and he'd probably be turning out for the new Hereford phoenix club now.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Harry Cardwell has signed a contract extension until the end of next season. Young player that gives nothing less than 100% every game but I thought he'd likely be one to replace at the end of this season. Jolley seems to have a lot of faith in him though and hopefully he can improve with games but he's a solid backup option at best for me.
Not 100% sold on him yet, but as you say he works his arse into the ground and that seems to benefit Thomas from the short time they've had together. I don't think he'll be troubling the scoring charts any time soon, but he'll create space for Vernam which could be really useful. Jolley's mantra is based quite a lot around giving his players confidence and stability, so hopefully that'll come into play here with Cardwell.

LongEatonPie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County, Long Eaton United
Can't find the find anything on Notts at the moment. Ardley says we are close to the 2 signings but not sure if they will be in for Colchester as we travel to the tomorrow.

Only flippent comment on twatter is Chris Long.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Can't find the find anything on Notts at the moment. Ardley says we are close to the 2 signings but not sure if they will be in for Colchester as we travel to the tomorrow.

Only flippent comment on twatter is Chris Long.
Hawkridge is rumoured to be off to Harrogate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!