League 2 General Chat Thread

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
You seem to know just how it’s going! Yeah, the diagonal long balls to players who can neither head it or hold it up has come to the fore.

The early season games were quite entertaining and we only really needed to cut out individual defensive mistakes.

God knows what Brown has done to produce the dirge now on offer. In such a short space of time, too. He appears to have absolutely no idea what to do next.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
And fully deserved. We were absolutely hideous again, third game in a row at home without a goal. Should have been 4-0 really. Well done Cambridge for the easiest 3 points you'll get in some time!
Never mind the easiest 3 points, it’s the only 3 points we’ve gained in one game since 1st September. We were becoming desperate for a win.

In truth we’ve not been playing great but also not terribly. And clearly the stars aligned for us a little (our second goal would have been flagged offside last month, I believe Swindon had a penalty penalty shout second half etc). But more importantly we’ve actually scored and defended reasonably well, probably for only the second time this season.

Long way to go but it restores some faith for us. For you, you were just unlucky to catch us at the wrong time. You’re still better than us and I expect us to be 15th or lower come season end.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Wouldn't back us to beat anyone at the moment. Getting progressively worse.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
God knows what Brown has done to produce the dirge now on offer. In such a short space of time, too. He appears to have absolutely no idea what to do next.

The above paragraph sums up Phil Brown in a nutshell. The poor run seems to seep in slowly and before you know it, as you said, you're hoofing balls to 4 foot 4 Jermaine Mcglashan. Then completely on the flip side you'll scrap out a couple of 1-0 wins and he'll decide to stop dicking about and you see your team fly up the league. Why it takes him a 5-10 match run of not winning to realise hoofing it into the corners is getting you nowhere, who knows.
Do you even have a Barry Corr type striker who might win you a game 1-0?

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
The above paragraph sums up Phil Brown in a nutshell. The poor run seems to seep in slowly and before you know it, as you said, you're hoofing balls to 4 foot 4 Jermaine Mcglashan. Then completely on the flip side you'll scrap out a couple of 1-0 wins and he'll decide to stop dicking about and you see your team fly up the league. Why it takes him a 5-10 match run of not winning to realise hoofing it into the corners is getting you nowhere, who knows.
Do you even have a Barry Corr type striker who might win you a game 1-0?

Marc Richards, who scored goals under Flitcroft and is actually the leading scorer historically in League 2 but has looked a shadow this season. He had a couple of half chances last night which he was wasteful with.

So worth putting some cash on 1-0 and Richards to score on the next few games?

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Never mind the easiest 3 points, it’s the only 3 points we’ve gained in one game since 1st September. We were becoming desperate for a win.

In truth we’ve not been playing great but also not terribly. And clearly the stars aligned for us a little (our second goal would have been flagged offside last month, I believe Swindon had a penalty penalty shout second half etc). But more importantly we’ve actually scored and defended reasonably well, probably for only the second time this season.

Long way to go but it restores some faith for us. For you, you were just unlucky to catch us at the wrong time. You’re still better than us and I expect us to be 15th or lower come season end.

I thought offensively you were quite good. Jevani Brown the pick but Lambe and Amoo I thought were pretty handy. Lambe missed a sitter before your first and Azeez also towards the end. I don't remember us having a penalty shout second half to be honest.

Given where you were before last night's game I was relatively impressed and you don't look like relegation fodder for sure.

Reactions: SVH

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Marc Richards, who scored goals under Flitcroft and is actually the leading scorer historically in League 2 but has looked a shadow this season. He had a couple of half chances last night which he was wasteful with.

So worth putting some cash on 1-0 and Richards to score on the next few games?

I don't know about putting money on it but if Brown under Southend is anything to go by I'd expect him to start scoring. Corr was a 1 in 2 striker for us. When you do get a couple of results I fully expect Swindon to go right up the table, it's the ultimate boom or bust with Brown.
I'm waiting for the odds for your FA Cup game against York though cos I fully expect an upset after which Brown will bemoan some nonsense even thoug he clearly set the team up wrong, then go on about how it'll be a silver lining of concentrating on the league.
Have you started playing 4-5-1 at home as well, that's when you know he can't think of any way to stop the rot.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
I have no idea what formation he prefers or even plays. Last night I suppose it was 4-3-3 to start morphing into a sloppy 4-2-4.

Either way it was turd.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I don't know about putting money on it but if Brown under Southend is anything to go by I'd expect him to start scoring. Corr was a 1 in 2 striker for us. When you do get a couple of results I fully expect Swindon to go right up the table, it's the ultimate boom or bust with Brown.
I'm waiting for the odds for your FA Cup game against York though cos I fully expect an upset after which Brown will bemoan some nonsense even thoug he clearly set the team up wrong, then go on about how it'll be a silver lining of concentrating on the league.
Have you started playing 4-5-1 at home as well, that's when you know he can't think of any way to stop the rot.
Corr is a one in two striker regardless to be fair - he’s scored 17 in 33 for us, sadly across 3 years, and many (most probably) of those 33 games weren’t 90 minutes.

Edit: He’s a League 1 striker in a 60 year old’s body.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Corr is a one in two striker regardless to be fair - he’s scored 17 in 33 for us, sadly across 3 years, and many (most probably) of those 33 games weren’t 90 minutes.

Edit: He’s a League 1 striker in a 60 year old’s body.

I was disappointed he didn't give League 1 a go with us but his injury record since leaving has been so dreadful I'm kinda glad he chose Cambridge. I do wonder whether we'd have got into the playoffs a couple of years back if he'd been in our team though, he and Phil Brown were made for each other.

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
Just in from Macc, they looked woeful and we blew them away first half. 3 wins from 6 for Curley boy.

Got in at 0240, a relatively early one for a midweek game but these sort of results make it all worth it...9 points from the play offs, is it that we have started the engine or will we revert to type on Saturday?

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Got in at 0240, a relatively early one for a midweek game but these sort of results make it all worth it...9 points from the play offs, is it that we have started the engine or will we revert to type on Saturday?

Started the engine. 2 home games against Oldham and Crewe are a big opportunity.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We are also 9 points off the play offs, see you at Wembley in the final. :bg:

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We are also 9 points off the play offs, see you at Wembley in the final. :bg:
Big test on Saturday at one of our bogey grounds, Gresty Road. Last 5 visits there have brought 5 defeats, with 2 goals scored and 15 conceded.

I can see Jolley naming an unchanged team again for the 5th game in a row and hopefully we can keep up the unbeaten run and hopefully a 5th consecutive clean sheet.

I'm certainly a lot more confident of a decent result now than I was a few weeks ago.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Up to Meadow Lane we go on Saturday in a rotten run of form. If we lose to Notts and then Colchester during the week (which I fully expect) then we really are into the brown stuff.

It looks like Macclesfield are nailed on for 1 of the 2 relegation slots but the other one could be more competitively fought over. A few of my pre-season bets have County getting promoted which is unlikely, but its a big surprise to see them scrabbling around towards the foot of the table.

There are a large amount of Notts fans on here so there may be a thread of its own dedicated to the game, but I thought that about the Mansfield game and there was only a handful of posts in this thread. Such is the malaise supporting these (once great!!!) clubs.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Things are looking sufficiently brighter at the Abbey that I might even risk jinxing the revival with a U's v Macc thread. Since we plumbed the depths against FGR on my return to the seething unrest that was the Abbey, we've:
  • Played OKish (with no functioning strikers) but lost to Creepy and MK;
  • Comprehensively beaten Southampton youngsters in the Unmentionable Trophy;
  • Come from behind to take a point at table toppers Lincoln;
  • Comfortably beaten Swindon, again with a forward line of wingers/No 10s;
  • Raised a further £2,350 for Simon Dobbin at the annual charity match;
  • Seen our (Luke Chadwick coached) U15s beat ManUre at the Abbey.
With returns from injury, the possibility of trialists Cody McDonald and Franck Moussa getting short term deals and drawing Guisley in the Cup, the dreaded wait 'til January for new blood has transformed (for the more glass half full amongst us) into an interesting couple of months until we might actually sign some proper striker and defensive cover.

There's still plenty going on behind the smoke and mirrors off the field but the next 2 games, both at the Abbey, and the FA Cup have the potential to either revive or blight the rest of the season on the pitch. 4 points from Lincoln/Swindon, when I'd have taken one and expected none, was a good start. We need 4 points from the next two and I'd even, all be it reluctantly and cursing, accept a draw against Macc (the U's way of doing things) if we can drag Grimsby back into the mix - especially if we're in the draw for the next round of the cup.

These opinions may not be shared by many (if any) fellow U's.

Last edited:

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Away at Colchester for us.

2nd highest scorers vs the highest scorers
Highest home scorers vs the 2nd best away defence

Sounds like we might be seeing Shackell and Frecklington back, which will be a boost.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Away at Colchester for us.

2nd highest scorers vs the highest scorers
Highest home scorers vs the 2nd best away defence

Sounds like we might be seeing Shackell and Frecklington back, which will be a boost.

John McGreal spotted in Screwfix yesterday buying a sack of silica gel. Meanwhile as every removals company up the eastern half of the country is reporting to be fully booked, McGreal is refusing to comment on the fleet of vans parked on his street.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Up to Meadow Lane we go on Saturday in a rotten run of form. If we lose to Notts and then Colchester during the week (which I fully expect) then we really are into the brown stuff.

It looks like Macclesfield are nailed on for 1 of the 2 relegation slots but the other one could be more competitively fought over. A few of my pre-season bets have County getting promoted which is unlikely, but its a big surprise to see them scrabbling around towards the foot of the table.

There are a large amount of Notts fans on here so there may be a thread of its own dedicated to the game, but I thought that about the Mansfield game and there was only a handful of posts in this thread. Such is the malaise supporting these (once great!!!) clubs.

We pretty much always have our own match thread on here for the obvious reason.

I use ‘Mansfield’ as my barometer to Shitness. Both clubs are below Mansfield therefore both clubs are currently officially shit!

History firmly suggests you can’t really argue with this approach.

Being 3rd bottom need this victory more than you, and more than ever this season but have no idea with this side/squad which side will turn up. Jekyll and Hyde

devilofajob

Reaction score
Supports
Crawley Town
Off to Tranmere Saturday, my first visit since we first played there in 2013 in L1!
Our first ever game against them at home we lost 5-2. This was part of the match report -

"The result means Tranmere retain their position at the top of the table with Ronnie Moore's side holding a three-point lead over Notts County. "

How times changed for Tranmere after that!

I'll be happy with a draw this time.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Things are looking sufficiently brighter at the Abbey that I might even risk jinxing the revival with a U's v Macc thread. Since we plumbed the depths against FGR on my return to the seething unrest that was the Abbey, we've:
  • Played OKish (with no functioning strikers) but lost to Creepy and MK;
  • Comprehensively beaten Southampton youngsters in the Unmentionable Trophy;
  • Come from behind to take a point at table toppers Lincoln;
  • Comfortably beaten Swindon, again with a forward line of wingers/No 10s;
  • Raised a further £2,350 for Simon Dobbin at the annual charity match;
  • Seen our (Luke Chadwick coached) U15s beat ManUre at the Abbey.
With returns from injury, the possibility of trialists Cody McDonald and Franck Moussa getting short term deals and drawing Guisley in the Cup, the dreaded wait 'til January for new blood has transformed (for the more glass half full amongst us) into an interesting couple of months until we might actually sign some proper striker and defensive cover.

There's still plenty going on behind the smoke and mirrors off the field but the next 2 games, both at the Abbey, and the FA Cup have the potential to either revive or blight the rest of the season on the pitch. 4 points from Lincoln/Swindon, when I'd have taken one and expected none, was a good start. We need 4 points from the next two and I'd even, all be it reluctantly and cursing, accept a draw against Macc (the U's way of doing things) if we can drag Grimsby back into the mix - especially if we're in the draw for the next round of the cup.

These opinions may not be shared by many (if any) fellow U's.

Agreed, except for the Macc bit as I'd much rather beat Macc and then draw with Grimsby. The Macc game won't be as easy as some fans reckon - a match against a side that's coming from a heavy defeat is always tricky - but tbh we should beat them.

And another thing, I'd rather not have the meltdown that will surely ensue on the U's forum if we fail to beat them!

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Agreed, except for the Macc bit as I'd much rather beat Macc and then draw with Grimsby. The Macc game won't be as easy as some fans reckon - a match against a side that's coming from a heavy defeat is always tricky - but tbh we should beat them.

And another thing, I'd rather not have the meltdown that will surely ensue on the U's forum if we fail to beat them!
Fair enough but it would be 4 points either way.

I've long given up on the forum for anything more than distraction. Christ there's someone on there wanting Paul Hurst, who Richard Money and half the Conference managers could out think, in place of the best (not just most likeable) coach we've had since Gary Johnson.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Off to Tranmere Saturday, my first visit since we first played there in 2013 in L1!
Our first ever game against them at home we lost 5-2. This was part of the match report -

"The result means Tranmere retain their position at the top of the table with Ronnie Moore's side holding a three-point lead over Notts County. "

How times changed for Tranmere after that!

I'll be happy with a draw this time.
The last time I saw us play Crawley was a 3-3 at the start of the next season, the relegation from L1 season, where we gained a point with a late equaliser in a match which was nowhere as good as the scoreline might suggest.

I think it might be a bad time to play the Creepys and an away win wouldn't come as a surprise. How many are likely to make the journey from Sussex for this game?

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Our first ever game against them at home we lost 5-2.
That was a cracking game. Zoum Bakayogo tore you apart that afternoon and is the only surviving member of our squad.

We were not as bad on Tuesday night as a lot of people have made out and Crawley don't travel very well, so there is no reason why we can't pick up three points. We definitely need a victory, with a tough game against Exeter to follow next week.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Any views on this? Seems a few L2 Clubs, including ourselves, are happy to try it out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/25/efl-calls-review-ban-fans-drinking-alcohol-games/

We're also on the list to help with safe standing trials, although nothing has come of that yet.

Works well in the Bundesliga (or did when i went a decade ago) but the mentality is a bit different here. The Bundesliga is cheap so is more family orientated whereas here a you get more of a chav culture in grounds.

I would say though if in plastic bottles or cups does it make it any different to drinking a plastic bottle of coke? guess safety wise its safer than a piping hot Bovril!

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Any views on this? Seems a few L2 Clubs, including ourselves, are happy to try it out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/25/efl-calls-review-ban-fans-drinking-alcohol-games/

We're also on the list to help with safe standing trials, although nothing has come of that yet.
Terrible idea imo. Far too many football fans are knobs and a soon as they score they will use it as an excuse to throw their beer all over the place cos they are ‘a lad’ and think of themselves hilarious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!