Is the Grass always greener?

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover
A lot of our players quite understandably leave NL for the lush and percieved greener and certainly richer pastures offered (normally) by the FL clubs, and more recently with the ruling on U24 players even for the SPA, but even allowing for the obvious fact such moves will be good for the players bank accounts, are they proving to be a good moves for footballing reasons?

We had three such players last year, Stefan Payne who got a good moved to Div one side Barnsley, a move that turned into a great one when courtesy of a play off victory they went up to the Championship, Deverdics who joined his local club in Hartlepool and Ragget who opted for the NL option of Lincoln.

Of the three, Payne (unless he's injured) doesn't look as though he's had a sniff (and that being the case can we have him back on loan please Mr Barnsley Chairman?) Deverdics seems to have played more than he's missed, but equally seems to have been taken off a fair amount, and Ragget, who we probably miss more than anyone, is at least playing regularly enough in a side that willk probably struggle to win the league but look naile on to be in the play offs.

How many players have you guys lost these past couple of years and have they been a hit or a miss?

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover
For purpose of debate, perhaps add to the question and obviously on what you know and feel may happen, how many players have you in the your current side that you feel may be lost come January and or in the summer?

I notice the NL suggests Coulson could command the same sort of fee as Vardy did, so can we assume from that, he is on a long term contract, and whilst he's enjoying a great season, is he really worth that kind of money.

East Bank Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot
We've had a few in the last couple of seasons who've gone into the football league and done well, most notably Danny Hylton (for Oxford and now Luton) and Pete Vincenti, however some others like Brett Williams went to the FL and soon ended up back down in the NL.
Of the players we've got now, I think our new signing Kanu could be a fantastic player and won't be with us very long. I also expect Bernard Mensah to be playing in the FL sooner rather than later.

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United
I don't know why Chris Smalling left, he hasn't made much of himself.

Bendubz

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone
The ones that are snapped up from us usually are academy players that haven't made the breakthrough yet, but a few years ago we did lose our first choice RB, Aaron Simpson, to Wolves. I believe he's still in their developmental squad atm though. From our current team I'm amazed nobody's came in for Alex Flisher yet, one of the few to have been with the team all the way from the Ryman South, but every season he ends up as one of our best players, and his ability to play many positions (LM, LB, ST, CAM, RM) is a massive plus. How we've kept him is anybody's guess.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
wrexham have been notorious for having players leave for better things for nowt as a result of their contracts ending. recent players that we havent benefited from and have done reasonably well include:
kayden jackson - signed him last year, didnt play him for half the season, suddenly forced to play him and he was a one of the stand out players from a poor season. offered pittance contract, ends up signing for Barnsley and is currently on loan and doing ok for Grimsby
nat knight percival - was nothing but a squad player when he signed for us from Histon, and was in fact a left winger for the start of his career. a conversation with Gareth Taylor convinced him that his future lay in defence so he gave it a go. since leaving us to go to Peterborough he has also played for Shrewsbury and most recently Bradford.
Neil Taylor - one of the few who we got a fee for as he was U21 at the time and is probably one of the best success stories from leaving us. we have a 10% sell on fee agreed with swansea on him too, so every transfer window we pray he moves on

others have had varied success but they are probably 3 stand outs.

dont even get me started on players leaving our youth system though....

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United
The ones that are snapped up from us usually are academy players that haven't made the breakthrough yet, but a few years ago we did lose our first choice RB, Aaron Simpson, to Wolves. I believe he's still in their developmental squad atm though. From our current team I'm amazed nobody's came in for Alex Flisher yet, one of the few to have been with the team all the way from the Ryman South, but every season he ends up as one of our best players, and his ability to play many positions (LM, LB, ST, CAM, RM) is a massive plus. How we've kept him is anybody's guess.
In a similar vein, Tom Mills. Surprising how our two longest serving players, who also happen to be youth products, have handled the step up the best.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
We have lost a few, but not too many, one or two have also gone on to be promoted from the National League after leaving us. Moving to the football league have been Yan Klukowski, who went to Newport, but is now back in our league with York. This summer Kurtis Guthrie moved to Colchester, not sure how that is working out for him though and Jon Parkin was also signed by Newport after leaving us. Matty Taylor, Danny Wright and Alex Lawless all left for other National League teams and subsequently earned promotion. Only former youth player I can think of who has left for a bigger club was Aden Baldwin who went to Bristol City last season.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
wrexham have been notorious for having players leave for better things for nowt as a result of their contracts ending. recent players that we havent benefited from and have done reasonably well include:
kayden jackson - signed him last year, didnt play him for half the season, suddenly forced to play him and he was a one of the stand out players from a poor season. offered pittance contract, ends up signing for Barnsley and is currently on loan and doing ok for Grimsby
nat knight percival - was nothing but a squad player when he signed for us from Histon, and was in fact a left winger for the start of his career. a conversation with Gareth Taylor convinced him that his future lay in defence so he gave it a go. since leaving us to go to Peterborough he has also played for Shrewsbury and most recently Bradford.
Neil Taylor - one of the few who we got a fee for as he was U21 at the time and is probably one of the best success stories from leaving us. we have a 10% sell on fee agreed with swansea on him too, so every transfer window we pray he moves on

others have had varied success but they are probably 3 stand outs.

dont even get me started on players leaving our youth system though....

Louis Moult is also doing well. Left us to join Motherwell in the SPL. Had a good first season and is now joint second top scorer in the SPL. I'd expect him to move to an English team possibly in the Championship, before too long.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Until the last few years, we mainly had players well on the downward slope, so very few got sold on or poached - only really Jason Walker (did well with York, not so much Luton, I think), and Jack Mackreth (still at this level, never really cut it).
So the only player I can think of that left to better himself since the new owner came in was Andy Cook - he seems to be doing okay, but we're currently above Tranmere...
From our current side, Jordan Williams is the obvious player to move up through the leagues - Wigan have watched him all season, and someone bid £100k on deadline day. Nick Anderton is probably the other one who is young and has the potential to play at a higher level.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
The most obvious for us was Sam Smith about 5 or 6 years ago. We got him from Rushden and was our top scorer and halfway through a two year deal when he pushed through a move to Cambridge and it all went tits up for him. I think his spell here is still his most successful one but since his Cambridge move, he's just gone from Club to Club and is still only in his mid-20's. Admittedly, he was hardly fit and missed about 60% of games...

Since we've been down here there was Tom Miller who was always destined for the FL and has been very impressive at Carlisle these last couple of seasons by all accounts.

Ben Tomlinson went to Barnet where it hasn't worked out, but you can't begrudge him that move having scored 45 or so in two seasons here, even if he did have a crack at the FL before and it didn't work for him.

Sean Newton pushed a move through to L1 with Notts County on loan but again, his performances for us merited a crack at the FL but he'll never be at that level. He ended up back down here with Wrexham so that was a mistake from him, although he was quite vocal about wanting to be closer to his home in Liverpool so he'd have left anyway.

Going further back, when in our L2 games, we sold Paul Mayo to then Championship side Watford and ended up getting him back on a free a year or so later. That didn't work out for him whatsoever.

Jeff Hughes went to Championship side Crystal Palace and only lasted a year but although the grass wasn't greener with that move, he generally stayed at L1 level for a few years.

Dany N'Guessan left us for Leicester, which went to a tribunal and that wasn't great for him. He's since struggled to last a season anywhere but, as above, generally settled at L1 level.

East Bank Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot
From our current side, Jordan Williams is the obvious player to move up through the leagues - Wigan have watched him all season, and someone bid £100k on deadline day. Nick Anderton is probably the other one who is young and has the potential to play at a higher level.

Is that the same Nick Anderton we had last season, left back? Saw him play a few times and thought he looked a long way out of his depth!

GuiseleySteve

Reaction score
Supports
Guiseley AFC
James Hanson would be the most recent I think. Joined Bradford City from us for a pittance set by tribunal!

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Is that the same Nick Anderton we had last season, left back? Saw him play a few times and thought he looked a long way out of his depth!
yep - same one - playing well and a few scouts are watching him.
I'd add Moussa Diarra to the ones to watch list - but most of the team could end up playing higher - with us ;) next season....

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds

Yeah - I think we had this conversation last season. He was just returning from a broken leg when playing for you, which was bound to have an effect. We had him in Conference North and he was outstanding, and then got him on loan after Aldershot and he was as good as any full-back we've had in years. Signed permanently in the summer, which seems a bit of a coup. Still young, has the odd poor game, but a great prospect at this level.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Ragget, who we probably miss more than anyone, is at least playing regularly enough in a side that willk probably struggle to win the league but look naile on to be in the play offs.

How many players have you guys lost these past couple of years and have they been a hit or a miss?
I wouldn't say Lincoln are nailed on for the play offs as they do have a habit of starting well then fading away.
However this does look to be their best squad since they've been in non league and with a very good manager in my opinion and I hope they do make it back to the league as League 2 is way too Southern based for my liking, so much as I hope they do get in the play offs, nailed on is a bit too optimistic I think.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
We lost Ben Hennighan to Motherwell (c***), Ross Hannah to Barrow and John Rooney to Wrexham. Don't think we've missed any of them, particularly Judas Rooney. Ben was a great player, but 19-year old midfielder Sam Hughes is keeping Blaine Hudson out and will play anywhere. Obviously we miss Ross's 26 goals, but we're scoring all over the pitch. Would we swap leading scorer Elliot Durrell for Rooney back ...... not a chance.

Joe.

Reaction score
Supports
Ebbsfleet United
Twitter
@JoeGlidewell
Matt Godden left us to join Stevenage at the end of last season, think he's featured regularly for them.

Off the top of my head, Michael West the only player to leave us for the league in recent seasons. Went to Crewe and I believe some of their fans rated him, but he appeared to be plagued by injuries. Came back to us and suffered two ACL injuries, now playing at Whitehawk.

Going back to before 2010, Stacy Long, Darius Charles and Michael Bostwick(Stevenage), Lance Cronin (Gillingham) and John Akinde (Bristol City) all stepped up. Cronin did poor, the three at Stevenage all did OK and Big John is now doing okay after initially struggling.

Shilow Tracey from our academy was signed by Spurs last season and has been featuring for their U18s I believe. He'll do well.

You can't blame players for stepping up to a higher division. The financial benefits are of course a big draw, but most just want to better themselves.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
We got a lad from a local non league side and let him go to a moneybags Conference National side when his agent started whispering in his ear a few years ago. Never heard of the twat since. :bdick:

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Ex Alfreton Town goalkeeper Jordan Pickford has just been called up to the England Senior Squad. Truly incredible.

1884 Belmont

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Since roughly 2010, we've had a few young lads go on and do well for themselves:
Aaron Cresswell - Moved to Ipswich, impressed and earned a move to West Ham. We got a decent fee originally, got a sell on when he moved from Ipswich and we'll earn more if he moves on from the Hammers for more than they paid Ipswich. He's done very well for himself.

Ash Taylor - Lost him on a free to Aberdeen but he's been in and around their side ever since. He had his critics but he's played European football and challenged for the Scottish title, so he's doing ok for himself.

Max Power - When we were relegated from L2, Max took a pasting from our fans despite being young and scoring 13 goals from midfield in a side that was relegated bottom of the entire FL (our top scorer too). He moved to Wigan and got himself a regular place in the side which won promotion to the Championship where he is doing well again. Cracking lad and always looks out for us. Really pleased for him.

Over the last 3 years we've probably had close to 150 players pull on the white shirt, so a lot of them are instantly forgettable. Strangely enough, we've currently got a striker (Cole Stockton) out on loan at L2 Morecambe, where he has 8 goals already - more than our current top scorer and yet we're loaning him to a higher division?

On the flip side, the biggest flop of recent years has to be Dale Jennings. Fell out of Liverpool's Academy as a boy, we picked him up and he set L1 alight alongside Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain at Southampton. He scored a couple of really memorable goals and ended up getting a move to BAYERN MUNICH for roughly £500k. However, he struggled to adapt, joined Barnsley in the Championship and then MK Dons, but he had piled weight on and just wasn't the same player. Last I heard he wasn't even signed up for this season, although he may have been since I last checked.

Oh, and Brabin - Mangan sold back to L1 Shrewsbury despite not getting in our side and Margetts released after being loaned out to Stockport and Southport. He then went to Lincoln and then L1 Scunthorpe within a month. Madness.

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover
How does that work, loaning out a player to a club in a higher league. Might not be unique but certainly different. Is Margetts playing at Scunthorpe by the way?

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
How does that work, loaning out a player to a club in a higher league. Might not be unique but certainly different. Is Margetts playing at Scunthorpe by the way?
View to a permanent deal. Probably works slightly different when the player still has a year or so to run on his contract i.e. there's probably an agreement already in place.

Margetts has only played once I think, which was a sub appearance in the Cup last week and scored within minutes of coming on. Up to that point, he was injured. Think he's spent more time watching our games than Scunny's.

LeWhites

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
I'm surprised that Deverdics doesn't seem to have done as well as we all thought and hoped he would at Hartlepool, but I understand that his move was less about football/money and more about moving home to the North East, which is understandable and I wish him well.

Barnsley winning promotion was the worst thing that could have happened for Payne. Although I think he'd have a good crack at league 1, he's not a Championship quality striker. Shame because he seems to be improved his attitude a hell of a lot since the move and had a good preseason by all accounts.

Raggett was a twat for moving to Lincoln. More for the fact that he hung about all preseason training with the side and presumably picking up some wedge for it? If there was no interest from a league club he should have stayed for another season. Some of the comments he's made have been out of order too, given the amount the club invested in him. JP and CK obviously feel the same way judging from their comments about the 3 of them too.

If we had the squad we have now, injury free & with Raggett and Deverdics in there I'd put us up there with the title contenders.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
What's Raggett said? I saw an article from your end before we played each other but that was it.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
I noticed Freddie Ladapo scored for Oldham this weekend too. We were in for him, and he ended up signing for Palace!

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover
I'm surprised that Deverdics doesn't seem to have done as well as we all thought and hoped he would at Hartlepool, but I understand that his move was less about football/money and more about moving home to the North East, which is understandable and I wish him well.

Barnsley winning promotion was the worst thing that could have happened for Payne. Although I think he'd have a good crack at league 1, he's not a Championship quality striker. Shame because he seems to be improved his attitude a hell of a lot since the move and had a good preseason by all accounts.

Raggett was a twat for moving to Lincoln. More for the fact that he hung about all preseason training with the side and presumably picking up some wedge for it? If there was no interest from a league club he should have stayed for another season. Some of the comments he's made have been out of order too, given the amount the club invested in him. JP and CK obviously feel the same way judging from their comments about the 3 of them too.

If we had the squad we have now, injury free & with Raggett and Deverdics in there I'd put us up there with the title contenders.

Raggetts move is a tough one to call. I don't get the investment we put into argument, just because he came up through the youth ranks, but that said the tribunal being held later this month will decide, certainly take into consideration you would hope the level of investment, but do agree with the slightly underwhelming move to a fellow conference club. If Lincoln don't get promoted, you could probably argue his move was ill judged, if however they go up, it would have been a great move, and the grass most certainly will seem a lot greener.

Also agree with you about Payne, I don't really think he is a championship striker, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he isn't loaned at in January, and maybe we could have him back, as I fear we could be losing an even better striker at the same time.

I am sure Deverdics is at least happy back in the NE where the grass if not greener is probably at least the same colour, and lack of regular 90 minutes of football will be compensated by the possibility of him at least doubling his wages

veggieeater

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Notable that of the two that went up last season CTFC are struggling with a largely unaltered squad yet GTFC having shed loads including of course Amond & Arnold are dealing well with Div 2.
Loads of its to do with luck, talent helps its some way off the main reason why a player thrives or not in the league.

Wes Burns is possibly currently the highest league player having moved from us, though thats at Aberdeen, does that count :bow: :fl:, he was very much with us on loan from Bristol City even though The Hock didnt play him in his usual position

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!