2023/24 League Two Promotion Thread

Marbles

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
We have a small chance of the playoffs especially with an easy game against Bradford City on saturday. Our fixtures aren't too bad either I don't think.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Proper sliding doors stuff that last day of 2012/13. If Wrexham had have gone for it they might have won and handed the title to Kiddy. We also played Newport who rested their entire team and we played our full strength team to comfortably turn them over before they did us in the playoffs. If that match had have also panned out differently it could have been us v you in the playoffs and Wrexham v Newport. Could have been completely different decades following that for each club.
Oh for them water hoses just before new year at the Mill.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Yeah that Luton side was obscenely good for that level. Probably the only team that could have gone toe to toe with that Vardy Fleetwood side. You lot being in the division would have just made it more difficult for several seasons. Agreed that you did the right honourable thing by going up when you did, the year we went up and the year that Barnet and Bristol Rovers went up definitely didn't need Mansfield getting in the way.
I used to post on the old blue square premier forum back then (it was great you’d do a post and it wouldn’t appear for about 12 hours)
and there was a really cocky Luton fan on there and he said he was gonna ask the bookies for the odds on Luton to go the whole season unbeaten and put a bet on.
First game of the season they lost 1-0 at Southport. :lol:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I used to post on the old blue square premier forum back then (it was great you’d do a post and it wouldn’t appear for about 12 hours)
and there was a really cocky Luton fan on there and he said he was gonna ask the bookies for the odds on Luton to go the whole season unbeaten and put a bet on.
First game of the season they lost 1-0 at Southport. :lol:

Oh i remember losing 3-1 at southport in december in that uncovered terrace with wind and rain howling off the irish sea, fuck me that was a cold day. One of those where you’re like “what the fuck am i doing?” days.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Oh i remember losing 3-1 at southport in december in that uncovered terrace with wind and rain howling off the irish sea, fuck me that was a cold day. One of those where you’re like “what the fuck am i doing?” days.
Or the 2-0 defeat at Dartford on a Friday night when the board goes up with one minute of added time at end of first half drawing 0-0, but go in at half time two down.

devilofajob

Reaction score
Supports
Crawley Town
Hanging on in there!
23 points from 13 games this calendar year, and reckon 15 from remaining 9 MIGHT get us a play-off spot.
Away games at Newport, Mansfield, Wrexham and Tranmere make that just a little bit tricky though!

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Hanging on in there!
23 points from 13 games this calendar year, and reckon 15 from remaining 9 MIGHT get us a play-off spot.
Away games at Newport, Mansfield, Wrexham and Tranmere make that just a little bit tricky though!
Thought you played some good stuff first half last night, I'm a fan of your manager, he's got a group of players who generally have a NL/NLN/NLS background and got them playing good pattern and positional play football. I thought we came on strong second half and our goal was coming but you hung on it there at 0-1 and got a reward of a point for that. I think both teams were frustrated because with us both looking at the weekends results we both saw what all 3 points could have done for either of us. I think on a normal day mid season we'd have both held our hands up and said decent point a piece.

No idea what was going on with Lindsay and our assistant Clint Hill at the end? It didn't seem that type of game to me and I've rarely seen our coaching staff get in any aggro really. Challinor played it down post match and said there wasn't much in it.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
With stockport playing MK, and crewe at home to wimbledon it’s a chance for Mansfield (home to colchester) wrexham (away to grimsby) and barrow (home to newport) to take advantage.

Get the feeling it’s especially important for barrow to take advantage given 8th is slowly catching up though they’ve games in hand.

If us and stockport win we could be 8 clear of 4th with a game in hand and a better goal difference! (if only it will be that simple).

I’d say after a recent run of form the pressure will be on stockport to perform and get a result against MK

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
With stockport playing MK, and crewe at home to wimbledon it’s a chance for Mansfield (home to colchester) wrexham (away to grimsby) and barrow (home to newport) to take advantage.

Get the feeling it’s especially important for barrow to take advantage given 8th is slowly catching up though they’ve games in hand.

If us and stockport win we could be 8 clear of 4th with a game in hand and a better goal difference! (if only it will be that simple).

I’d say after a recent run of form the pressure will be on stockport to perform and get a result against MK
A Stockport/MK draw would be ideal IF we manage to beat Newport

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Looking fairly good for a playoff spot now, even a very slim shout for the autos if we win the game in hand. Five points clear and two games in hand on the immediate teams just outside the playoffs.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Looking fairly good for a playoff spot now, even a very slim shout for the autos if we win the game in hand. Five points clear and two games in hand on the immediate teams just outside the playoffs.
If nothing else a good end to the season could get us 4th or 5th and a potentially better chance in the play offs

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
88 - Average Champions
87 -
86 - Predicted Champions
85 -
84 -
83 - Predicted Automatics
82 - Average Automatics
81 -
80 -
79 -
78 -
77 -
76 -
75 -
74 -
73 - Mansfield(39)
72 - Average Play Offs
71 - Predicted Play Offs, Stockport(38)
70 - Wrexham(39)
69 -
68 -
67 -
-------------------------------------------------
67 - MK Dons(40)
66 -
65 - Crewe(39)
64 - Barrow(38)
63 -
62 -
61 -
60 -
59 - Crawley(38)
-------------------------------------------------
59 - Gillingham(40)
58 - AFC Wimbledon(40)
57 -
56 - Walsall(38)

Looking like a proper 3 way fight for the title now, can't see the top 3 being supplanted now given MK Dons woeful away form, Crewe's inconsistency and Barrow probably having too much ground to make up. Good wins for Stockport and Wrexham in tricky looking fixtures, especially Stockport demolishing MK Dons. Mansfield lose ground in the title race, but still are in a great position.

MK, Crewe and Barrow still looking good for the play-offs, but all of them need to get a couple more wins to be sure of that. Crawley jump into 7th and have 2 games in hand on the teams below them, so massive chance for them to make the dance.

Gillingham get a good win at Morecambe and keep pace, Wimbledon get a draw but drop to 9th and Walsall drop to 10th but didn't play, so they too have games in hand which could be a big factor in the final few weeks.

1st - Mansfield, 73 points, GD 42: Wrexham(A), Accrington(H), Crawley(H), Forest Green(H), MK Dons(A), Gillingham(H), Barrow(A)
2nd - Stockport, 71 points, GD 35: Forest Green(A), Wimbledon(H), Sutton(A), Colchester(A), Morecambe(H), Notts County(A), Accrington(H), Wrexham(A)
3rd - Wrexham, 70 points, GD 22: Mansfield(H), Doncaster(A), Colchester(A), Crawley(H), Forest Green(H), Crewe(A), Stockport(H)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4th - MK Dons, 67 points, GD 9: Walsall(H), Notts County(A), Forest Green(A), Mansfield(H), Harrogate(A), Sutton(H)
5th - Crewe, 65 points, GD 12: Gillingham(A), Forest Green(H), Accrington(A), Morecambe(A), Grimsby(H), Wrexham(H), Colchester(A)
6th - Barrow, 64 points, GD 13: Grimsby(H), Morecambe(A), Swindon(H), Bradford(H), Gillingham(A), Doncaster(A), Mansfield(H)
7th - Crawley 59 points, 3 GD: Doncaster(H), Newport(A), Mansfield(A), Wrexham(A), Colchester(H), Barrow(H), Sutton(A), Grimsby(H)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8th - Gillingham, 59 points, GD -8: Crewe(H), Harrogate(A), Bradford(H), Barrow(H), Mansfield(A), Doncaster(H)
9th - Wimbledon, 58 points, GD 11: Harrogate(H), Stockport(A), Salford(H), Swindon(A), Tranmere(A), Walsall(H)
10th - Walsall, 56 points, 5 GD: MK Dons(A), Salford(H), Tranmere(A), Doncaster(A), Notts County(H), Swindon(H), Bradford(H), Wimbledon(A)

Looking at the run ins, Mansfield's final few look tricky with 4 of the top 7 still to play. Stockport, MK, Crewe, Wimbledon and Walsall have kinder run ins. Everybody plays at least 3 strugglers, so on the whole it looks fairly well balanced.

Good Friday Fixtures:

AFC Wimbledon
v Harrogate Town
Barrow v Grimsby Town
Crawley Town v Doncaster Rovers
Forest Green Rovers v Stockport County
Gillingham
v Crewe Alexandra
Milton Keynes Dons
v Walsall
Wrexham
v Mansfield Town

Some very tasty looking fixtures. Big chances for Wimbledon, Barrow, Crawley and Stockport to pick up wins against strugglers. The big games are of course 3rd v 1st at the Racecourse and 8th v 5th at Priestfield. Big top 3/title race and play-off implications in those. MK Dons v Walsall is also interesting as MK are in good form and Walsall need wins to stay in the hunt.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
If anyone finishes above wrexham it will be an extraordinary effort on their part given the vast differences in finances.

As said all along, anything other than wrexham winning the title would be an extraordinary surprise and a failure on their part, that we’re still top is also a surprise.

7 games to go for most, it’s condensing down.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I'm not sure about the Barrow having too much ground to make up comment.
IF we beat Grimsby on Friday then we'd be able to catch Wrexham by winning our game in hand IF they lose to Mansfield. Similarly if Wrexham won that we'd be able to catch Mansfield by winning the game in hand and beating them on the last day.
Our game in hand is home to Bradford (please don't sack Alexander before then).

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I'm not sure about the Barrow having too much ground to make up comment.
IF we beat Grimsby on Friday then we'd be able to catch Wrexham by winning our game in hand IF they lose to Mansfield. Similarly if Wrexham won that we'd be able to catch Mansfield by winning the game in hand and beating them on the last day.
Our game in hand is home to Bradford (please don't sack Alexander before then).
You’ve definitely got your Mansfield maths wrong.

You’re nine points behind with a game but basically 10 points with goal difference so if they lost to Wrexham and you beat them on the final day there would still be another three (four factoring in GD) points to make up on them elsewhere.

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Just seen the 5-0 demolition of franchise from Stockport, the only result I wanted to see after our win today and by God how bad was the franchise keeper? Bloody struth, he was as bad as Valero (who might as well have been sacked at HT away at Chesterfield in 2005 and replaced by an 18 year old kid).

Tinpot and proud

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow
You’ve definitely got your Mansfield maths wrong.

You’re nine points behind with a game but basically 10 points with goal difference so if they lost to Wrexham and you beat them on the final day there would still be another three (four factoring in GD) points to make up on them elsewhere.
No he was right with the Mansfield maths theoretically...he was saying if we beat Grimsby on Friday and then Wrexham beat Mans....the points difference is 6....we win our game in hand and the difference is 3....we beat them the final day then we are equal bar a mental goal difference.....all hypothetical as the permutations before all that are fecking Crazy :)

Sussexred

Reaction score
Supports
Crawley
Incredible job Scott Lindsey is doing....one game at a time though.
Starting to dream a little bit now...probably end up just short in reality.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
If anyone finishes above wrexham it will be an extraordinary effort on their part given the vast differences in finances.

As said all along, anything other than wrexham winning the title would be an extraordinary surprise and a failure on their part, that we’re still top is also a surprise.

7 games to go for most, it’s condensing down.
We've come up from the league below and you were telling us not to expect to romp the league at the start of the season, so your first sentence is contradictory.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
We've come up from the league below and you were telling us not to expect to romp the league at the start of the season, so your first sentence is contradictory.

In normal circumstances yes, but given you’ve spent cash like confetti it doesn’t apply to you.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
No he was right with the Mansfield maths theoretically...he was saying if we beat Grimsby on Friday and then Wrexham beat Mans....the points difference is 6....we win our game in hand and the difference is 3....we beat them the final day then we are equal bar a mental goal difference.....all hypothetical as the permutations before all that are fecking Crazy :)

If someone pips us on goal difference i’ll doff my cap to you

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
In normal circumstances yes, but given you’ve spent cash like confetti it doesn’t apply to you.
I don't think we've spent enough in honesty. We could've made promotion all but a certainty in January but didn't spend what other clubs wanted for their players.

Just wait until we get to L1, you'll see us spend huge money then.

We don't have the highest paid player in the league, btw.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I don't think we've spent enough in honesty. We could've made promotion all but a certainty in January but didn't spend what other clubs wanted for their players.

Just wait until we get to L1, you'll see us spend huge money then.

We don't have the highest paid player in the league, btw.

It’s genuinely not a go (appreciate how it can seem like it if you’ve got fans always saying it) it’s just a gauge of where we’re at. I suspect if we both go up the difference in wages will only increase.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
There is massive pressure on Wrexham and Mansfield. Wrexham with the biggest budget by a mile, the biggest in 4th division history and Mansfield are on about their 10th season of being a very well funded L2 team and a lot has gone their way decision wise and injury wise this year. It's inconceivable they both won't go up.

The third horse has been us, we've consistently had 8-10 players out, some very key ones. I think we'd be well top of the league if Louie Barry hadn't done a severe Hamstring tear in October, Will Collar sets the tone for us, got a bad Hamstring injury in November and returned late February only to get injured on his first start back due to a terrible tackle by a Gillingham player. And that isn't the half of it, we have 1 or 2 new injuries every week. Southam Hales and Rydel our best wing backs been injured for a lot of the season, the latter only played the first 2 or 3 games before doing his ACL. If we go up, it will be a great achievement. We do have a big squad but a lot of the time it's because we've needed squad fillers just to make numbers up, the continuity of our team just hasn't been there since November. And from September-November we equalled a FL consecutive winning record.

There will be a few twists and turns to go. Mansfield, Wrexham and Stockport have been the three best sides who have consistently been there to be shot at and probably deserve to go up but there aren't guarentees.

We've got the bottom three within out next four away from home which sounds good on paper but they're all fighting for their lives.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
And I don't think it will have gone unnoticed in opposing camps that apparently Mansfield had a very self congratulatory pat on the back "fans forum" this week where Clough was more or less crowd surfing and being covered champagne. It will have feature in a few team talks in the coming weeks.

I think Wrexham will beat Mansfield at the Racecourse.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Classic OneFootballForum behaviour, classic Stocky.

Good work chap, think you covered it all :2thumb:
Your boys should have been in the mix with your squad, Viking. Even if you'd just got someone who could have nudged you into the Play Off spot. Got to usher that Maynard out the back door as discretely as you can when the season ends.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Your boys should have been in the mix with your squad, Viking. Even if you'd just got someone who could have nudged you into the Play Off spot. Got to usher that Maynard out the back door as discretely as you can when the season ends.
Hope so and it certainly looks that way.

Playoff spot was the aim (and no more) first season back and all and likely under our own head coach. But that's the problem we were victims of our own success. If your manager had been headhunted by a far bigger Championship club in January I suspect you would have dropped down the league.

Not that you would have gone Part time but we like to gamble and do things differently

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
The only pressure is people outside thinking there's pressure on us. Last season was pressure, every match a must win, so this is very relaxing in comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!