1st fixtures: 30th July

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
An OK side who finished miles ahead of you?

Barnsley lost both main strikers and have been scratching around for replacements
They are an ok side? That’s not an insult. Whereas in my opinion Barnsley will comfortably be top 6.

Barnsley are certainly overpriced at nearly 5/2 was my point that you so quickly and desperately jumped on

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Barnsley at home. Will be a tough game but we were strong at HP last season, hopefully they will lose a couple of their stronger players in Helik and Styles this week.

I think we’ll line up like this;

Mike Cooper

James Wilson - Dan Scarr - Macca Gillesphey

Joe Edwards - Adam Randell - Matt Butcher - Mickel Miller

Danny Mayor - Ryan Hardie - Finn Azaz

Bench:
Callum Burton, Brendan Galloway, Bali Mumba, Panuche Camara, Morgan Whittaker, Luke Jephcott, Niall Ennis

We will be missing Jordan Houghton (suspended), whilst James Bolton and Conor Grant are both injured. Certainly will have a lot more strength in depth once everyone’s fit.

I’ll go 1-1.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
I'd take a point to get off the mark as well, I think for both sides it feels like the first game of the season has come around a little too early.

For us, we're going into it not really being too sure what to expect. New manager, new assistant manager, new first team coach, new GK coach, new head of performance, new head of sport science, new sports science, new physios - it's been a complete change behind the scenes after a disappointing season last year. There's not been *that* much player movement, so it's a settled squad but the players we've lost have been through the spine of the team.

Doesn't look like we'll be quite as risky as last season but still want to pop it around. We're clearly short up front and in midfield so I can't see us asking too many questions in the attacking third. Guessing we'll be 4-3-3, pretty much how we started yesterday.

Maguire is leaving so he'll not be in the squad, House missed yesterday having gone off against Hartlepool, Walsh hasn't appeared in pre-season because of injury (again) and whether he's actually sticking around full stop I'm not sure and they'll be no Mandroiu either who signed with an ankle injury but is back in a couple of weeks (LOI are in the middle of their season so I don't think he'll take much getting back up to speed).
We are pretty much the opposite, if nobody leaves this week it will be the same first 11 as last season minus the goalkeeper. Same behind the scenes too. Will definitely be happy with a draw

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Away to Morecambe to start for us.

I haven’t been impressed with any of Morecambe’s signings and I’m confident in saying that they’ll be in the bottom 4 come the end of the season. With us wanting to “have a go” this season and push for the play offs upwards, we need to be looking at picking up all 3 points here.

We’ll no doubt line up in Cotterill’s favourite 5-3-2 formation.

GK) Marosi

RWB) Dacosta
CB) Pennighton
CB) Dunkley
CB) Flanagan
LWB) Nurse

CM) Bayliss/Taylor Moore
CM) Leahy
CM) Shipley

ST) Bowman
ST) Udoh

There’s a rumour on our forum that we could be smashing our transfer record for a striker from another League 1 club (hopefully that doesn’t mean Udoh is off) so it could be a different strike force come Saturday.

For now though, I’ll go Morecambe 0-2 Salop (Leahy, Udoh)
Leahy in CM??

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Leahy in CM??
He started the first 5/6 games at LWB (where he was ok but not a standout) and then injuries meant that we had to use him in central midfield.

Honestly it was a blessing in disguise. Leahy scored 8 league goals and won fans POTS, players POTS, and also had the most assists for us last year. One of my favourite players we’ve had down the years. I’ve been watching Salop since 2003 and I’d definitely place Leahy as part of our best starting X1 since I’ve been following.

I’m surprised that we’ve not had any offers (as far as I know) from a bigger League 1 clubs or even bottom end Championship clubs. The lad is quality in CM!

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
We start the season the same way we finished last one, facing Burton (albeit at home rather than away).

I haven't kept a track of their transfer business to be honest, but we have to look at this as a winnable start to the campaign.

I'm hoping we still have 2 or 3 more signings to come in, but I think we're in OK shape as it stands. Biggest question mark is over our goalie - as in, we haven't got a first choice one!

Manyoo's Nathan Bishop has been supposed to be a done loan deal for a while but he hasn't officially signed, and has been on pre-season tour with his parent club, so it's not ideal if he gets zero time to bed in with the team, if indeed he is even signing!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Funny we only played at the Mem 3 months ago but quite a lot has changed for both teams since, especially us with new management, so will be interesting to see how the two sides stack up.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Away to Derby. I doubt Derby supporters have a clue if they will be good, bad or indifferent.

Likewise, we go into this as highly unpredictable. I think most OUFC supporters will be happy with the business so far, albeit the preparation isn’t ideal. I can see this being a 0-0 as both sides still look to continue to strengthen.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Barnsley (H), should be a good marker and might not be a bad time to play them.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Expecting Bristol Rovers to do the best of the newly promoted teams, whereas I am wondering where our goals might be coming from (midfield most likely), although I'm more confident about the capabilities of our defence. Maybe Josh March will come good in a quite remarkable way, just like Matty Stevens did last season..

(Mind you, we are paying the price now of Rob Edwards' "play the same players in every game as much as possible" policy, however much it may have helped last season: Dan Sweeney, for example, didn't get half the look-in he deserved and is now quite a loss).

I'll go for a draw here, maybe 0-0, maybe 1-1, maybe even 2-2. Much less optimistic about our chances against our first league opponents at home.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Expecting Bristol Rovers to do the best of the newly promoted teams, whereas I am wondering where our goals might be coming from (midfield most likely), although I'm more confident about the capabilities of our defence. Maybe Josh March will come good in a quite remarkable way, just like Matty Stevens did last season..

(Mind you, we are paying the price now of Rob Edwards' "play the same players in every game as much as possible" policy, however much it may have helped last season: Dan Sweeney, for example, didn't get half the look-in he deserved and is now quite a loss).

I'll go for a draw here, maybe 0-0, maybe 1-1, maybe even 2-2. Much less optimistic about our chances against our first league opponents at home.
You are playing us at a good time really. Coutts suspended, currently playing last seasons RB as a CB. Still looking very short and injuries starting just as the 1st game approaches.
Plus, we never do well on the first game; although due to the balloon fiesta we normally play away from home every season. In fact I think we must have the worst opening game record in the FL, or right up there at least. I cant remember an opening day win apart from AFC Wimbledons first game back live on Sky.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
You are playing us at a good time really. Coutts suspended, currently playing last seasons RB as a CB. Still looking very short and injuries starting just as the 1st game approaches.
Plus, we never do well on the first game; although due to the balloon fiesta we normally play away from home every season. In fact I think we must have the worst opening game record in the FL, or right up there at least. I cant remember an opening day win apart from AFC Wimbledons first game back live on Sky.
The best was at Bournemouth August 73. 3 nil with Warboys & Bannister scoring.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
A return to where we were battered 4-1 final game of last season. I think we've both strengthened but Wednesday much more so.

I'd take a single goal defeat, in what could prove to be the toughest game of the season. Michael Smith loves scoring against us so will be licking his lips at the prospect.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
11314B44-1F72-4E9B-A2BC-E8998F356FAC.jpeg

You would be correct

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Don’t think we’ve looked too bad in pre season other than the Carlisle game but I think we will lose on opening day to Ipswich despite the result last season. I would take a draw now. We have a pretty tough start so I’m not going to be too concerned after 3/4 games if we haven’t done much. 10-15 games will be a much better reflection of how this season will likely go and we should definitely be aiming for top 6. If we are in the mix in January I fully expect the board to back Evatt like they have in the last 2 Winter windows. Getting really excited now!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Highlight show on ITV4, 9pm Saturday and repeated ITV, 11pm Saturday.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Don’t think we’ve looked too bad in pre season other than the Carlisle game but I think we will lose on opening day to Ipswich despite the result last season. I would take a draw now. We have a pretty tough start so I’m not going to be too concerned after 3/4 games if we haven’t done much. 10-15 games will be a much better reflection of how this season will likely go and we should definitely be aiming for top 6. If we are in the mix in January I fully expect the board to back Evatt like they have in the last 2 Winter windows. Getting really excited now!
Please win. I really want to see the implosion if Ipswich don't get off to a good start. Not that I dislike Ipwich particularly but if it gets nice and toxic at Portman Road that's a rival in trouble.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Please win. I really want to see the implosion if Ipswich don't get off to a good start. Not that I dislike Ipwich particularly but if it gets nice and toxic at Portman Road that's a rival in trouble.
Ipswich are much better than they were when we played them at Portman Road last season…they still had Cook in charge. Will be a much tougher test this season.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Been confirmed that Wilson will definitely miss this Saturday with a calf injury. Bit of a blow to us as will come clear this season when he is on it he is a hell of a player. With that said given how some of our fans were speculating up to 12 weeks out (and that time getting longer as each day passed) will take that.

At least with the signings we’ve made there’s going to be options on the bench at least in midfield and defence. Still light up front but there am sure DC has had long enough to figure a way to work around it as he had to do a lot last season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Been confirmed that Wilson will definitely miss this Saturday with a calf injury. Bit of a blow to us as will come clear this season when he is on it he is a hell of a player. With that said given how some of our fans were speculating up to 12 weeks out (and that time getting longer as each day passed) will take that.

At least with the signings we’ve made there’s going to be options on the bench at least in midfield and defence. Still light up front but there am sure DC has had long enough to figure a way to work around it as he had to do a lot last season.
Yeah he’s a match winner when he’s on it and it’s a blow but 2 weeks isn’t too bad, should be back for the second home game (Bolton I think).

Expecting him to really thrive at this level with more space to show his quality now we seem to have made him a home and are getting the tune out of him.

His touch and vision are probably the best I’ve ever seen in a Vale shirt.

See if any forwards roll up tomorrow but assume we will go with Proctor and possibly Massey up top. Was hoping we wouldn’t have to get Ben Garrity pushed up top again this season (although did get 3 in his 2 games up front last season!)

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Away to Derby. I doubt Derby supporters have a clue if they will be good, bad or indifferent.

Likewise, we go into this as highly unpredictable. I think most OUFC supporters will be happy with the business so far, albeit the preparation isn’t ideal. I can see this being a 0-0 as both sides still look to continue to strengthen.

I do expect us to be good, especially riding a high in the first game in front of what looks to be close to a 30,000 crowd.

Knight, Bird and Sibley are the Crown Jewels of our academy and they’re still here ready to go.

Importantly, we were able to tie down Curtis Davies who had his best season in probably half a decade last year.

Hourihane, Mendes-Laing, Barkhuizen, Smith, Roberts, Chester, Collins and McGoldrick have added quality to the overall squad. Wildsmith, it remains to be seen, already can see that he’s a good shot stopper but lacks elsewhere. I would be happy to see another keeper through the door.

My only real concern is at right back at the moment, due to the ongoing issue with Byrne, but it looks like we’re planning to use Knight there at least early on in the season. Maybe Smith who has played there before.

We actually have options going into the season, something we drastically didn’t have last season, so it’s a good position to be in.

I have little doubt we will be much improved on last season, however it’s a different league and different expectation so we will wait and see.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
James Wilson? D
I do expect us to be good, especially riding a high in the first game in front of what looks to be close to a 30,000 crowd.

Knight, Bird and Sibley are the Crown Jewels of our academy and they’re still here ready to go.

Importantly, we were able to tie down Curtis Davies who had his best season in probably half a decade last year.

Hourihane, Mendes-Laing, Barkhuizen, Smith, Roberts, Chester, Collins and McGoldrick have added quality to the overall squad. Wildsmith, it remains to be seen, already can see that he’s a good shot stopper but lacks elsewhere. I would be happy to see another keeper through the door.

My only real concern is at right back at the moment, due to the ongoing issue with Byrne, but it looks like we’re planning to use Knight there at least early on in the season. Maybe Smith who has played there before.

We actually have options going into the season, something we drastically didn’t have last season, so it’s a good position to be in.

I have little doubt we will be much improved on last season, however it’s a different league and different expectation so we will wait and see.
Hope you get battered and your fans realise it won't be a cake walk, I've seen some arrogance in my time in this division, this is our 3rd spell since 2003, however you lot really are the most arrogant and self entitled c*** to ever step foot in the league.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
James Wilson? D

Hope you get battered and your fans realise it won't be a cake walk, I've seen some arrogance in my time in this division, this is our 3rd spell since 2003, however you lot really are the most arrogant and self entitled c*** to ever step foot in the league.
What are you actually talking about you fucking weapon.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
James Wilson? D

Nah, Sunderland were far worse

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Whilst I understand that from your perspective, the mood genuinely hasn’t been better at Ipswich in ten years. No longer having Evans killing our club is huge, the Americans and Mark Ashton have said and done everything we’d wish. Even during pre season they’ve made some improvements to the stadium that Evans had ignored for so long. And having a young manager who is clearly going to end up higher makes it an exciting time for us.

When McKenna came to us from Man United, we were in the worst 4 defences in the league. We were leaking two goals a game every week. In the 24 games where he was in charge, we conceded 13 goals, the lowest in the country.

Season tickets at 17,000 too with 24k upwards expected most weeks. In comparison, under Mick McCarthy and Evans in the Championship we were getting 16,000 through the door most weeks. Touch wood but things are very bright for us at the moment and even if we start slowly, the mood won’t be one of anything but positivity and excitement. Quite frankly, with Evans out and people in charge showing the fans some respect, it does genuinely feel as though we have our club back. Roll on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV